• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting an HTC EVO Shift for Dummies! (Last Updated 3/24/2010)

sounds like you need to uninstall the version you have, then reinstall a newly downloaded version... I think something happened to the one you have on your phone... It happens sometimes with apps. Try that.

thank you kind sir! went out drinking tonight, and returned with a clear mind and looked at it in a different angle.. i was able to reinstall visionary n finish the perm root.

if i decide to switch to a new sd card, do i need to put any apps on the new sd card (shift-root or visionary?)

Upvote 0
thank you kind sir! went out drinking tonight, and returned with a clear mind and looked at it in a different angle.. i was able to reinstall visionary n finish the perm root.

if i decide to switch to a new sd card, do i need to put any apps on the new sd card (shift-root or visionary?)

Just drag and drop all the data onto your desktop, then put it all on to the new sd card before you install it. That's what I do... I honestly am not sure which apps are crucial to the operation of the phone... I would just leave everything to be safe. I don't think that they take up much space. I have 2 nandroid backups and all the random rooting stuff on my 8 gb card and it still has 7.75 gb left.

Reactions: trphg
Upvote 0
I haven't found one that is any better than stock just yet. Usually I would need to flash because of issues with the stock one being jacked up, but man this thing is pretty flawless. I have infinite's rom sitting on my desktop just waiting, but haven't done it yet. I also have had some issues getting my TB to run a useable backup for me, so I don't want to have to re download all my apps and start to setup from scratch. I would (if I was you) install root explorer, and just delete the apps you don't want from stock, then flash an overclock kernel, and see if you like that setup. I have found it to be perfect so far.

Reactions: trphg
Upvote 0
Assuming I'm already temp-rooted, would it be needed to get rid of the temp root and do it over as said in the guide or are there steps I should just skip?

I would dump the visionary or z4 root you have, and start right from step one so as to know what is going on, and to follow a proven formula. But that is just me... I'm no expert, I'm just good at following directions. And if you have trouble with a recovery, use rom manager and clockwork mod to flash it, makes it so easy...;)

Reactions: Avivator
Upvote 0
thanks for all your help brother, i truly appreciate it.

what rom do u personally use? (if u do use custom roms) i'm lookin around n cant seem to find the *right* one.. in winmo we had soo many options

So far I'm just running the 1.8ghz kernal... however I have it set down to about 1.401ghz max and 245mhz min.

Getting wayyy better battery life than stock.

Upvote 0
When installing custom ROM's and whatnot your phone potentially could crash and all your information could be lost including your WiMax keys and other info. If you were to lose your WiMax key you would no longer be able to login/connect to your 4g.

BTW there is a super easy way to backup your entire phone. I'll update the OP within the next half hour or so...

Reactions: sktr021
Upvote 0
How will I know I was successful?

dl connectbot from the market. after doing so, open the app and on the bottom left hand box select local. you can name it whatever you want. then select your new profile and in the dialog box type in su and press enter. you should get a #. if you get a #, then you are rooted. then type exit and hit enter. and type exit again, and then press enter.

or i guess the easiest way is to try to use an app that requires root such as wireless tether. if it starts with no problem, you are rooted.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones