Rooting an HTC EVO Shift for Dummies! (Last Updated 3/24/2010)

Last Updated:

1. getthemother

getthemother New Member

tether works fine. Guess I am in. thanks.

Advertisement
  2. evopissonapple

evopissonapple New Member

im stuck on step 5..plz breakdown step 5..i have the app on my desk top..but i cant figure out how to drop it or paste it to my sd card...plz help
  3. hoodtrix

hoodtrix Well-Known Member

I have a few questions please. I want to root for 2 reasons. First is to uninstall all the bloatware off the phone to hopefully give it better battery life and speed it up. Secondly I want a rom that will allow you to use the wiimote via bluetooth. Can anyone suggest a rom that will help me with this.
  4. kaw900r

kaw900r Well-Known Member

Connect your phone to your computer hit use as hard rive when prompted on phone and cut and paste or pic and drop onto your sd card. :cool:
  5. hoodtrix

hoodtrix Well-Known Member

also if im already able to googles app inventor and take screen shoots via the sdk way do I need to download anything else or can i just start the rooting process
  6. Pyxiefrog

Pyxiefrog New Member

Okay, so I rooted my phone using this method. WORKED PERFECTLY...that was about 2 weeks ago.
    Yesterday I was deleting some stock apps and accidentally deleted an unknown file. My phone was then stuck on the white 4G screen forever. Tried rebooting in recovery. Stopped at the 4G screen again. Tried Factory reset...Now my phone does boot up, but there seems to be no OS. I have a black screen, but it does show my vm, gps & sprint service icons at the top of my screen. My phone will recieve calls but I cant access anything else. Hboot mode tells me that there is "no image" or "wrong image."
    Im a noob at this and this is only the second phone Ive rooted so I will need very simple "for dummies" type instructions if anyone has any.
  7. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

Turn your phone off, boot into recovery and restore using the nandroid backup you made.... (You did make a nandroid,right?)
  8. MachDetours

MachDetours New Member

Does rooting the phone in this dummies method allow the 'wireless hotspot' feature of the phone? Thank you.
  9. 330D

No, but download "wireless tether" from the market and it will do the same.
  10. astoyanov123

astoyanov123 New Member

Just wanted to say thanks for the great walk-through. I was kind of procrastinating rooting because of the other intimidating guides, but this made it too easy to avoid. Thanks again for the hard work!
  11. Hey guys, attempting root right now. I get the "$" and i type su but i keep getting permission denied. any ideas?
  12. ldeckard

ldeckard New Member

I'm trying to do the 'HTC Evo Battery calibration for extended battery life' tip posted in: Sprint Community: HTC Evo Battery calibration for extended battery life.

When I'm doing the 'This is a one-time only procedure' step 3, charge for an hour while the phone is powered off, the 'Clockwork Mod Recovery' menu is showing on the phone.

Is this normal after you root the phone, power it off, and plug it in to happen? Thanks in advance!
  13. Enraged21

Enraged21 Well-Known Member

Can we get a video so it's more hands-on? That would DEF be more helpful for less confident guys like I.
  14. 330D

Yes it is a quirk with CWMod recovery. No worries. It probably isn't charging, when it is in recovery, though.
  15. 330D

If you can read and navigate around the pc, you can do it.
    Enraged21 likes this.
  16. Enraged21

I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow. A little busy today. But I'll def have time to try it tomorrow. I read through all the steps already so I'm a little more confident.
    But let's say i accidently screw up and my phone bricks...
    Is there a possible way to "unbrick" it?
  17. 330D

Follow the directions. It won't brick. I believe there is a program that will help go back to stock if need be, but you will be fine. It is not difficult.
    Enraged21 likes this.
  18. Enraged21

Also, will it delete everything off of my phone?
    Sorry for all the questions.
  19. 330D

Not to just root. You have to wipe to flash certain roms.
    Enraged21 likes this.
  20. Enraged21

So the root steps above don't require to wipe data? So it's still possible to permroot and keep all my things such as contacts and apps?
  21. 330D

Yes, you shouldn't have to wipe to root. Nothing will change except that you will be able to use root apps/ and access recovery.
    Enraged21 likes this.
  22. Enraged21

access recovery?
  23. 330D

Yeah, the place that you do all flashing and backup stuff from
    Enraged21 likes this.
  24. Enraged21

sorry for my stupidity, but that's the page where it's white with codes on there and the 3 little androids are skating down at the bottom?
  25. 330D

Don't be sorry we all had to learn. Yes. It is. I have never watched the videos, but I am sure there are some for rooting this phone somewhere on youtube.
    d00fx3 and Enraged21 like this.