Rooting an HTC EVO Shift for Dummies! (Last Updated 3/24/2010)

1. d00fx3

d00fx3 New Member

ok, basically i've gone almost all the way through step 8.
    but right after i typed in adb shell and the $ appeared, when i typed in su and hit enter it says permission denied.

any help please?
  2. Enraged21

Enraged21 Well-Known Member

So I have windows 7. when I download the .exe from the first step, how do I rewrite it's path to the C:\ drive?
  3. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

Run the installer, when it asks for a path, copy the path specified in the first post, and paste it in the window where you can submit your own path....
  4. Enraged21

Enraged21 Well-Known Member

It doesn't ask for a path. It just downloads strait through IE and into the downloads folder automatically. If I were to change it I would probably have to cut and paste but how would I do so?
    Is there any kind of chats or something? I don't wanna have to keep posting
  5. 330D

PM sent^
  6. sdk234

sdk234 New Member

Excellent instructions. Very helpful. Two places I got stuck fwiw:

At the end of Step 8 -- Superuser was not automatically installed so I did not get any "Allow" prompt on my phone. I had to separately download Superuser from the market and then proceed.

I would mention around Step 13 to uncheck the box previously checked in the Step 6 advice to "Go back into VISIONary and put a check next to the box that says "temp root on boot"." It seemed to cause me problems finishing the rooting process until I unchecked the box.

Thanks again --
    Enraged21 likes this.
  7. amoyers89

amoyers89 New Member

This guide has been much help, but I seem to be stuck on Step 8.
    When I type md5sum /sdcard/Shift/hboot_orig.bin or md5sum sdcard/Shift/hboot_end.nb0 is says "No such file or directory." Well I know there is because I can see it on my SDCard. Please help!!

Thanks a million in advance!
  8. 330D

busybox md5sum /sdcard/Shift/hboot_eng.nb0

Use that command instead. And you will probably have to put busybox in front of the command when it does it again in a step or two....;)
  9. bnitty

bnitty Well-Known Member

where's a link for a recovery zip? my friends Shift gets stuck on the boot loop when trying to go into recovery from ROM manager
  10. fairlady

fairlady New Member

after typing "adb shell" i get "$" and i proceed to type in "su". i get "permission denied.

anyone know what i'm doing wrong here?
  11. crump

crump Well-Known Member

Check and make sure that you have temp root, that sounds like the issue. Also if you get the quick permission denied, from what I understand, you need to reboot both your pc and your Shift before trying to temp root agian.
  12. fairlady

fairlady New Member

reboot both device and temp root is ON.

still receiving the same result. still "permission denied" after inputting "su"

any other tips?
  13. crump

crump Well-Known Member

I've seen several other people have this same issue. Not really sure what some people aren't granted super user permissions. They only other thing I can think of is making you Quickly click allow on your phone... if it's actually showing up. If you can't get it figured out you want to try the one click method over on xda.
  14. 330D

From the few people I've helped root, su denied error seems to be quite common. IDK if it has to do with the root on boot setting (that was a common denominator in most of the cases) or not, but I would say The best thing to do is uninstall the root app you are running, reboot your phone, reboot your pc, and then start over from scratch. Don't set the app to root on boot. It may take a few times for it to run in order for it to root your phone correctly. Every phone is different. All I can say is be patient, but tenacious if you are having trouble. Good luck!
  15. SHMaRiM

SHMaRiM Well-Known Member

I just got another Evo Shift and used the same method for rooting, so I can verify that this works...

However, there was some things that mysteriously changed since the first time I rooted a shift.

after entering...

Code:
    cd C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools
    I could not get ADB to run.

The fix was to enter this code instead...

Code:
    cd C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools\platform-tools
    The ADB file was in an additional "platform-tools" folder within the "platform-tools" folder.

Also, after clicking "temp root on boot" it didn't seem to make the phone faster. I had to unclick temp root on boot to get the perm root to stick.
  16. robuilthd

robuilthd New Member

I'm having the exact same problem. I can't uninstall it because it doesn't show up in the app manager. It must be there because when I try to install the new one it says "this app will replace an existing one" . If I continue with the install it fails every time. Any ideas?
  17. 330D

Do you have a file manager installed? Root Explorer or something similar? You should be able to uninstall it from there....
  18. robuilthd

robuilthd New Member

Yea, but I don't see it there either. Looking in SD/system/app. Would it be called something other than visionary?
  19. 330D

Look in the sdcard/download folder if you used your phone to dl it....
  20. robuilthd

robuilthd New Member

I copied it from my computer to the SD card like earlier in the instructions. Checked there anyways but its not there.
  21. ar30laa

ar30laa Member

i cant check the box for temp root on boot b.c the app was deleted and wont redownload can i continue
  22. ar30laa

ar30laa Member

some reason the visionary is not on the phone anymore but the phone isnt too slow can i continue to the other process or should i try to keep installing the app ?
  23. crump

crump Well-Known Member

Visionary needs to be installed since you need super user permissions. Is the .apk anywhere on your SD card?
  24. tdischino

tdischino Member

This is where it falls down for me. After selecting "temproot now", it starts the root process, sits there for a minute, then I get the Sprint 4G screen (the phone reboots). I don't see here in step 6 that this is supposed to happen. can someone confirm if this is failing for me, or if it is working as intended?