• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting and 3G Signal

CincyGT2009

May 14, 2010
Considering rooting via Unrevoked 3.21 tonight. My PRIMARY purpose for doing this is to attempt to resolve the insanely spotty 3G that I had been seeing since the OTA 2.2 (and YES, I did a factory reset).

a) Will this help or am I wasting my time?
b) I currently have PRI version 1.28 and have seen that PRI version 1.5 exists. If I root the phone via Unrevoked, can I change to 1.5 and if so would that be of any help for my 3G issues?

Thanks in advance for your advice!!!

I don't know about changing the PRI but I too have 1.28 and have not had any 3G problems. Rooting alone I'm sure will not likely solve it but, since I'm not sure what is causing your problem, I don't know if rooting and installing a custom rom will help or not. It may. I am assuming you've done the dialing *288 option 2 thing to update your PRL?

Upvote 0
Yes, I have done *228, but to no avail.

VZW also sent me a "reconditioned" phone last week but it had the same 3G spottiness and bugginess as my original phone. This didn't surprise me because it had the same install version of Android and the same PRI.

It really irks me because I had none of this (unless travelling through podunk nowhere on vacation) prior to the 2.2 OTA upgrade!

Upvote 0
@Cincy
I have not seen the 1.5 PRI for the Incredible. You have a link where you saw that? 1.28_002 is the official and only PRI for the Incredible that I am aware of.

@mousouchop
You can get 2.07 from the "official radio thread" in the Roms subsection of this forum. It's loaded by placing onto a FAT32 formatted SD card (root of card) and loads through hboot. However, most people are running the 2.15 radio without the problems you mention. I'd be apt to try a custom Rom first instead of flashing the radio. JMO. Also, did you get 2.2 from the OTA or otherwise? Have you had the wifi issue since before rooting?

Upvote 0
@mousouchop
You can get 2.07 from the "official radio thread" in the Roms subsection of this forum. It's loaded by placing onto a FAT32 formatted SD card (root of card) and loads through hboot. However, most people are running the 2.15 radio without the problems you mention. I'd be apt to try a custom Rom first instead of flashing the radio. JMO. Also, did you get 2.2 from the OTA or otherwise? Have you had the wifi issue since before rooting?

I haven't had any issue with wifi, but I often have to pop in and out of airplane mode in order to force a 3G connection. I heard that this isn't experienced with the 2.07 baseband.

I'd rather not try a custom rom. I am happy with my de-bloated stock 2.2. I got this OTA when I first arrived home from buying my phone. The only thing I did before updating was make a couple of calls and send a text or two. I did not have any apps installed on 2.1 (literally had it for mabye 30 min, haha).

Upvote 0
I haven't had any issue with wifi, but I often have to pop in and out of airplane mode in order to force a 3G connection. I heard that this isn't experienced with the 2.07 baseband.

I'd rather not try a custom rom. I am happy with my de-bloated stock 2.2. I got this OTA when I first arrived home from buying my phone. The only thing I did before updating was make a couple of calls and send a text or two. I did not have any apps installed on 2.1 (literally had it for mabye 30 min, haha).

Ahh yes, the dreaded airplane mode trick. Yeah, I had that happen on the early versions of CM6 in particular but didn't know it was still an issue for some people. Let us know if the radio solves it for you.

Upvote 0
Ahh yes, the dreaded airplane mode trick. Yeah, I had that happen on the early versions of CM6 in particular but didn't know it was still an issue for some people. Let us know if the radio solves it for you.

Sweet. Well, I just downgraded to the 2.07... noticed there is one newer version of the baseband 2.15.00.09.01 (current is 2.15.00.07.28)... but seeing as I haven't heard anything about this one... I will try 2.07 for a while.

Anyone heard anything about this new one?

Upvote 0
Well, just let us know how 2.07 works. I flippin' HATE this phone at this point. The fact that the replacement they sent me was just as buggy in the SAME ways tells me this is a problem with the version of the software that is installed on both. That's why I was really hoping that there is something to this PRI 1.5 coming installed on the new phones now...

Upvote 0
Cincy,
The thread you linked is the only place I've seen it other than when Shadowmite mentioned the very same PRI back when 2.2 RUU first surfaced several weeks prior. There was likely a leak that was held from release based on a gentlemen's agreement and I'd suppose that's where the newer radio came from OR it was a patch file and there was concern over the double flash = brick potential again ala 2.05 so "they" decided it wasn't worth releasing it for the sake of safety. Just a guess.

Upvote 0
Okay, that sounds like a reasonable guess. So, what was the PRI version under 2.1 and is it possible to return to that PRI version after root?

I THINK it was originally 1.03_002 and then went to 1.28_002 after the 2.1-update1

I have no idea if it's possible to resurrect an older PRI other than going back to 2.1 entirely. Out of my league if it's doable.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones