Rooting and Froyo on Alltel Desire

Last Updated:

1. 2gemini

2gemini Member This Topic's Starter

Before I root and apply a custom ROM on my Desire I wanted to make sure I have the "to-do list" right. I also have a few questions I hope I can be helped with.

Provided by
    Alltel Wireless

Phone Model
    HTC Desire

MY specs
    HBOOT-0.98.0000
    Touvh Panel-SYNT0101
    RADIO-2.0510.0011
    JUL 5 2010, 19:14:11

Hardware Version: 0005
    Firmware: 2.1-update1
    Baseband Version: 2.05.10.08.11
    Kernal Version: 2.6.29
    Software Version: 1.27.671.0

Why Upgrade?
    The reason for me is similar to many others out there. The goal is to get rid of Alltel's bloatware, store apps on the SD, and upgrade to Android 2.2 (Which I don't see Alltel doing for a long time...if ever. I mean let's face it, it's Alltel)

The Process
    The first thing I plan on doing is creating a "gold card". I will be following THIS POST by anoniemouse. Edit: Gold Card Done

Next, I will root the Desire. However, since I am .98, I'm unsure what method to follow and which tools are required. I have searched the forums, but will continue looking while I wait for someone to chime in on this one. Can someone offer any advise? I have seen plenty of guides for .83 and below but nothing for .98 so far.

After rooting, I will apply a custom ROM. A friend recommended "rom manager", which he uses on his milestone. As for a custom ROM, I am wanting one that includes 2.2 and Apps2sd. So far, I think I have it narrowed down between LeeDroid and DeFrost. Again though, I'm still researching.

I hope someone could offer up and answer to the above questions. In the meantime, I'll continue my search. Thanks

Advertisement
  2. rabrog

rabrog Member

I think Alltell is a CDMA carrier, and your phone has similar versions of software to mine (which also had HBOOT 0.98). I'm on a CDMA carrier in Alaska. My phone rooted just great with unrevoked 3.21, although as both my home and work PCs are Windows 7 64bit, I just burned a liveCD of Ubuntu and did it that way without having to hassle with drivers.

Now that I'm rooted, I want Froyo also, but I'm not finding a mature CDMA software build. Most of the desires out there are GSM, and from what I'm reading, GSM FroYo ROMs don't work on CDMA phones. I haven't tried one to know for sure, but that's what I've seen in some posts in various places. I'm not an expert, but that's something to consider.

David

3. kenny.deford

kenny.deford New Member

2gemini,
    I am on a CDMA carrier out of Oklahoma. I had problems successfully rooting with unrevoked 3.21. I was getting a "CID missing" error during the process. I joined the unrevoked irc and found out that 3.21 has a process that verifies the CID.img file before rooting. Basically, that file contains your carriers specific info. Unrevoked recommended using the 3.2 version which doesn't check this file. 3.2 worked for me, and I didn't need a goldcard. Upon rooting, I recommend installing Titanium Backup, Rom Manager, and the flashing the newest Clockwork Recovery version (2.5.0.9). As far as I know, most if not all CDMA carriers that offer the Desire get them from a company called PCD. PCD customizes the android builds for each carrier and pushes them out. All CDMA Desires should get 2.2 at or around the same time, hopefully before the end of December.

4. 191ga

191ga Member

I'm in no way questioning your information, but how sure are you on this, from everything I've been reading the individual carrier has to push out the OTA upgrade after they perfect it on their device, for example everyone waiting on USCC to finish their build of 2.2 which has been dragging out for a few months now. If what you're saying is true then I think I'd rather wait it out instead of trying to root and upgrade to a 2.2 CDMA rom once USCC releases theirs and the devs get a hold of it.

Thanks and appreciate the info,
    Brian

5. shauny13

shauny13 Well-Known Member

6. SPyDaHWeBB

SPyDaHWeBB Member

I guess I will look into this this afternoon and finally make the plunge.