• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root rooting and keeping stock rom?

Mattmann

Jun 9, 2010
Hey ppl,

Quick question that will probably turn into a million... can I root and keep my stock Rom? For the moment I don't want to change it, just root the phone.

Can I use the one click method through steps 1 - 3 and then just reboot my phone to leave the stock rom ok there? And will I lose everything? I have my back up pro that can help with the back up, can I just restore that after? And will it back up my home screens too? I don't want to go through that process of setting them up again...

I think that's it for the moment... any help is much appreciated.

Thanks Matt

Hey ppl,

Quick question that will probably turn into a million... can I root and keep my stock Rom? For the moment I don't want to change it, just root the phone.

Can I use the one click method through steps 1 - 3 and then just reboot my phone to leave the stock rom ok there? And will I lose everything? I have my back up pro that can help with the back up, can I just restore that after? And will it back up my home screens too? I don't want to go through that process of setting them up again...

I think that's it for the moment... any help is much appreciated.

Thanks Matt

As far as i am aware you can root your phone & keep your stock rom.
Providing you don't wipe anything your stock rom will remain completely intact.

Upvote 0
Thanks for reply...

This is why im seeking advice. I dont want to brick my phone.

I would be following the easy one click guide... missing out the loading new Rom and radio in step one, just following the driver steps...

Also you say to do the nandroid back up first, but can i do that as I'm not yet rooted?

Thanks, Matt

Upvote 0
I pointed out Lekkys guide as thats what worked for me, Im guessing you could use the one click method but will need to download the stock rom.

Ive read of things going wrong when people mix instructions between tutorials, so whatever way you choose stick to that version and follow it through to the end.

Upvote 0
I'm currently on SLCD HTC Desire with stock froyo 2.2 . In the same situation as Mattmann, i would like to root my phone with unrevoked 3. Heard that this is capable of rooting stock froyo instead of downgrading eclair before rooting. Can you guys please advice me on how i should backup and restore my phone's stock rom in the event that there is a new update in future.

Upvote 0
I'm currently on SLCD HTC Desire with stock froyo 2.2 . In the same situation as Mattmann, i would like to root my phone with unrevoked 3. Heard that this is capable of rooting stock froyo instead of downgrading eclair before rooting. Can you guys please advice me on how i should backup and restore my phone's stock rom in the event that there is a new update in future.

You are right. Unrevoked can preserve the stock ROM with the only change it will be rooted. But note that even though this ROM can download OTAs, I couldnt get them to update mine. Clockworkmod gave me errors.

As Dan said, in most cases, you will have to unroot to Stock to get OTAs. BUT, the same update will be posted much before the OTAs by the devs of custom ROMs. The only time you will actually need to use the RUUs to revert to stock would be to show the device for warranty.

Upvote 0
What they have said above...

I think I kept on the stock Rom for about an hour after rooting... :)

Then changed to Cyanogenmod for a month, now been on Defrost and don't want to change at all... has everything I need and very pleased with it...

Tried a few roms. Been on defrost since 2.9. Nothing comes close for me

Upvote 0
Tried a few roms. Been on defrost since 2.9. Nothing comes close for me

Wow, a long time then... I been on it from 5.6 after reading your sig, and realising it was what I was after...

Also seen your posts full of knowledge in the thread over at xda.. just started to post there myself... and trying to make a Defrost themed HTC IME mod... will post it up in xda if I make it and its good enough... :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones