• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root rooting and official 2.2

Oridus

Android Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2010
Wisconsin
Just one quick question. If I root using toast's method, will that prevent me from getting the official OTA froyo update when it gets pushed out next month?

No I don't plan on flashing any custom roms before then, I just want to root for the free wifi tethering and a few select root-needed apps.

Ok real quick let me try to answer this the best that I can. First of all this is the first I have heard of a Froyo update set for next month and is more than likey wrong! Secondly yes if you root via Toast you will have to restore your phone to stock or wait for a rooted rom of the update itself just as mrk mentioned above, however, that will more than likely the difference of a few hours. In most cases dev teams will release a rooted version of an official ROM pretty quickly. If you are looking to ROOT to try ROMs Toast is your ONLY choice at the moment but if you just want Wifi Tether than unrEVoked will work just fine and still allow you to upgrage OTA.

Reactions: lopezpm
Upvote 0
Ok real quick let me try to answer this the best that I can. First of all this is the first I have heard of a Froyo update set for next month and is more than likey wrong! Secondly yes if you root via Toast you will have to restore your phone to stock or wait for a rooted rom of the update itself just as mrk mentioned above, however, that will more than likely the difference of a few hours. In most cases dev teams will release a rooted version of an official ROM pretty quickly. If you are looking to ROOT to try ROMs Toast is your ONLY choice at the moment but if you just want Wifi Tether than unrEVoked will work just fine and still allow you to upgrage OTA.

Okay - so I just flashed Calkulin's custom rom... and it all works fine.. and I have downloaded the stock sprint roms, plus the stock sprint rooted roms.

I just have to run the sprint stock (non rooted one) RUU in windows while connected via usb to restore back to sprint to get the OTA froyo update when it's released, correct?

Is this the same thing I would need to do to get rid of root in order to return the phone to sprint in case I needed to replace it? (If something were to go wrong hardware wise).

Upvote 0
I've rooted using Toast's method... From what I know of Toast vs UnrEVOked, and generally everything else in the world (more work = more gain):

Toast requires more work, but works better and allows for more in depth modification (average user beware)

UnrEVOked = easier , less modifcation possible, seems like people who root using UnrEVOked always post having trouble.

Just my observations as I have only used Toast.

I'm always on the xda dev forums and people who go on there are can't do anything without usings Toasts method...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones