• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rooting and Tethering Question

Atmazzz, i heard some people say after you root. You can tethering with your computer. Atmazzz, does root damage the phone or software? How come it void the warranty?

I think there are some apps you can use after rooting that will let you tether/hotspot. Rooting does not damage anything. It just gives you administrator rights for your phone. Technically, rooting voids your warranty because you are modifying your operating system. Its very easy to unroot and reinstall the stock OS. If you had to have warranty work on your phone I don't see how anyone could know.

Upvote 0
atmzzz, have you root your phone yet? if you did, can you please try to tethering your phone with your prepaid card to see if it work.

Yes, I did. I got the same thing you did. I could only go to T-Mobile's site in my browser. I'm sure hot spot/tethering is blocked by T-Mobile unless you pay for the monthly tethering package. I'm still running rooted stock rom. A custom rom may let you tether or there may be an app in the Play Store.

Upvote 0
atmzzz, have you root your phone yet? if you did, can you please try to tethering your phone with your prepaid card to see if it work.

The two custom roms that I've tried have allowed me to tether for free. Darkside v7 and Jedi Mind Trick v7. I recommend Darkside. I've experienced too many touch wiz freezes with Jedi.

Reactions: Atma
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones