Rooting and the 2.1 update?

Last Updated:

1. coloradogregg

coloradogregg Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm new to the phone and not particularly computer savvy. I've been doing my homework and research about rooting and I was wondering... a friend mentioned that when Verizon releases an upgrade to Android OS 2.1 (Flan), Android will likely remove the exploit that allows for rooting. If that is the case, you will not be able to root in the future. But if I rooted now I would always be able to. He also mentioned if I rooted I would lose the ability to upgrade to 2.1 over the air and would have to download the upgrade via a computer and USB. Is this true?

Advertisement
  2. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

Yep, pretty much all of that is true. The only part that, while certainly true, probably won't last, is that the Root will be closed with 2.1. I'm sure it will be, but that doesn't mean someone won't be able to find another exploit to obtain root again...

3. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

Seems to me ESE53 is already rooted, unless I am wrong..:confused:. Now of course if I'm right they could close the exploit before the final OTA.

4. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

The original exploit is closed in ESE53, but since we had the sbf file we just added it in manually before flashing. I have answered this question a zillion times but since your new and don't know I will answer it again. The root exploit used was a typo in the key signature verification check, allowing us to add in the needed su binary files piggybacked on to the 2.0.1 update.zip. That exploit was fixed THE NEXT DAY in the Android source tree. I am sure someone will find a new way to root it, but honestly you don't need to. All you need to do is grab the 2.0.1 sbf file and flash it using RSD Lite, then your back to 2.0.1 which can be easily rooted. This will work FOREVER no matter what update they send us OTA.

Oh and 2.1 isn't Flan, it's still Eclair. And Flan isn't even the name of the next big build, it's FroYo (Frozen Yogurt lol).

5. coloradogregg

Thank you all.

6. CRPercodani

Anytime.

7. snake_fist_gung_fu

snake_fist_gung_fu Well-Known Member

Good post and its the first time I have heard that. I have heard some dev's on other sites say 2.1 would not be hacked for root because no one wants to upgrade to 2.1 and lose root.

8. ratherbelaxxin

ratherbelaxxin New Member

I'm confused by all of this.... but what is rooting? does that give you the ability to change how the droid functions and what not... ? and can you download the 2.1 system by doing this?

9. stevonyc34

stevonyc34 Well-Known Member

i wonder what's after Froyo? Jello? its probably something that will start with "G".
    Gyro? Granola? Garlic? Gummy Bears?

10. CRPercodani

Something desert like....

11. coloradogregg

I heard its going to be called Gingerbread.

12. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

Could be Graham Crackers, but Gingerbread sounds like a better name.