Rooting and Unlocking the Optimus T

Last Updated:

1. dalans

dalans New Member This Topic's Starter

Dec 6, 2010

Thanks for reading this. I am new, and am having trouble understanding how the OS and unlocking a phone interact, if at all. I have scoured the forums (fora?) but I am having trouble really getting to the bottom of this. I do understand the difference between unlocking and rooting. What I do not understand yet is how and if they interplay. So sorry if I am being thick.

I am getting a T-Mobile lg optimus T phone and will be using it in Canada (the only android phone available on the mobilicity network was the google, which is great but also almost 600 bucks). I will have it unlocked (obviously), in order to get it to work here on Mobilicity, but I will also probably root it for fun, a slight performance boost, the ability to run apps off the SD card, etc.

Will rooting have any effect on the 'unlocking'? If I have the phone unlocked and then root it, will I have to unlock it again? Similarly, if I reinstall the OS at some point in the future will I have to unlock it again?

Again, sorry if this question is off-base, but I guess I do not yet understand the basics. Maybe the phone has firmware that has nothing to do with Android, so the two (network access vs. Android version or user rights) are totally separate?

Can anyone confirm or deny this notion?

thanks all