Rooting and unlocking

Last Updated:

1. chileangod

chileangod Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, first post here. :)

So I live in Canada and I have this I7500L Samsung Galaxy (with BELL mobility) I want to upgrade with the newer androids 2.1 or 2.2.

I'm at the beginning of my journey here and still gathering and hunting for information. I've looked around and there are lots of tutorials but none of them answer my noob questions.

Do you need to have your phone unlocked or debranded in order to root?

Will rooting the phone also unlock it?

I've found a place where they guarantee unlocking of this phone but they charge 20$US. If I can root the phone and not having to pay for that it would be great.

So far in my research I've boiled down the overall plan to:
    1) Root the phone
    2) Pay for drakaz galaxyupdater

Am I missing any steps?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. chileangod

.. all the help I'm getting is overwhelming.... *sight* :(

3. weasel

weasel Well-Known Member

Forget 2.1. 2.2 is possible, but you need to be unlocked for it to work and it requires a few workarounds to get it to go properly ( because you are on Bell ). Personally, I would wait until there is a proper solution to the problem first.

-You do not need to be unlocked to root.
    -Rooting will not unlock it.
    -There is a wonderful thread on how to upgrade to Galaxo. You should flash you phone with 1.6 first ( JC6 ) Read the threads on how to Odin you phone to JC6, then do the Galaxo 1.6.3.4

Now on a side note, the reason for lack of help is because the answer to all your questions is here, in various threads. It is obvious that you have read some of them, just not enough. It may look intimidating at first, but once you start, you'll find its not that bad. Find the thread " brazilian users, notice the L" You need to read that too as there is special instructions for us L users. Happy reading !

chileangod likes this.
  4. chileangod

Thanks,

I limited my research on this i7500 branch of the forum. Actually i finaly found an answer on other phones threads...

like in here:
    http://androidforums.com/sony-ericsson-xperia-x10/183511-unlock-question.html

Now i know there are two independent things.

Thanks for taking the time and giving me some guidance. I'll take your advice and start out with the plan that your propose since we have the same kind of phone.

5. weasel

weasel Well-Known Member

Anytime.

6. dalans

dalans New Member

So does that mean that the firmware that is changed as a result of unlocking has nothing to do with the OS? In that case I can root an unlocked phone (or update the OS) and the phone will remain unlocked, right?

Sorry if this is not a bright question, but it would really help me out if someone could confirm this for me :)

thanks so much!

d

7. weasel

weasel Well-Known Member

You are correct. Now go get some Froyo !

dalans likes this.
  8. Lelouch

Lelouch Well-Known Member

And be warned:
    "This is a nightly edition, so don't expect any official support, well there is some kind of support, but because this is a nightly if it doesn't work go for the release which works."

If you're stuck, use Drakaz forum and ask questions there (also use for support).