• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting attempt gone astray

So I was trying to root my evo so I could try the fresh rom (please note that this was my first ever root attempt and my phone had the OTA update). I followed the instructions from this guide:

Latest OTA rooted! - Page 2 - Android Central Forums

This is where my problem is:

11. Once back at the Home screen type:

Code:
adb shell
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image
chmod 755 /data/flash_image
/data/flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
reboot recovery

When I enter the "cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image" code I get:

"cannot create /data/flash_image: permission denied"

I'm very worried I really screwed something up. Can anybody please offer up some advice for a newbie?

*edit: after some googling I found other people typed "su" prior to typing in the "cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image" command. That didn't work for me. I received "su: permission denied" after entering su.

Would going back and starting this tutorial all over cause serious damage? I'm wondering if maybe I messed up earlier.

Can you get back to stock? You need to do simple root. It is four clicks on the computer and another step after gives you FULL root
So I was trying to root my evo so I could try the fresh rom (please note that this was my first ever root attempt and my phone had the OTA update). I followed the instructions from this guide:

Latest OTA rooted! - Page 2 - Android Central Forums

This is where my problem is:

11. Once back at the Home screen type:

Code:
adb shell
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image
chmod 755 /data/flash_image
/data/flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
reboot recovery

When I enter the "cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image" code I get:

"cannot create /data/flash_image: permission denied"

I'm very worried I really screwed something up. Can anybody please offer up some advice for a newbie?

*edit: after some googling I found other people typed "su" prior to typing in the "cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image" command. That didn't work for me. I received "su: permission denied" after entering su.

Would going back and starting this tutorial all over cause serious damage? I'm wondering if maybe I messed up earlier.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones