Rooting attempt gone astray

Last Updated:

1. StrummingLevi

StrummingLevi Member This Topic's Starter

So I was trying to root my evo so I could try the fresh rom (please note that this was my first ever root attempt and my phone had the OTA update). I followed the instructions from this guide:

Latest OTA rooted! - Page 2 - Android Central Forums

This is where my problem is:

11. Once back at the Home screen type:

Code:
    adb shell
    cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image
    chmod 755 /data/flash_image
    /data/flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
    reboot recovery

When I enter the "cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image" code I get:

"cannot create /data/flash_image: permission denied"

I'm very worried I really screwed something up. Can anybody please offer up some advice for a newbie?

*edit: after some googling I found other people typed "su" prior to typing in the "cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image" command. That didn't work for me. I received "su: permission denied" after entering su.

Would going back and starting this tutorial all over cause serious damage? I'm wondering if maybe I messed up earlier.

Advertisement
  2. exBBuser

exBBuser Well-Known Member

U should have done the one with no abd,I did simple root and everything went pretty straight forward.Try to get ur phone to stage u was before trying the root.I cant help with abd as i know nothing about it,lets hope someone with more knowledge in this comes to ur rescue.Good luck.

3. autorail1

autorail1 Well-Known Member

Can you get back to stock? You need to do simple root. It is four clicks on the computer and another step after gives you FULL root

4. StrummingLevi

StrummingLevi Member This Topic's Starter

What do I need to do to get back to stock from where I am now? How can I tell if the rooting I've done before step 11 worked?