Rooting beginner help

Last Updated:

1. qcrist

qcrist New Member This Topic's Starter

I have a droid htc eris running 2.1 and would like root it. I have never tried to root it before. I got the phone from my dad, so it has no rooted files or hacked stuff on it.

Is it possable for me to root it, and if so, how?

Advertisement
  2. lewa

lewa Well-Known Member

Link.

See the pinned topics in that forum.

3. qcrist

ok, but will THIS work if i am using the official 2.1 update?

also, can I de-root a droid eris easily?

4. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

If the phone is more than a couple weeks old (meaning, it has a 1.46 or 1.47 bootloader on it), those instructions will work just fine, even though the OTA-2.1 has taken place.

It can be done; I doubt the adjective is "easily" though if you have average computer skills. (A person with Linux command-line experience can do the instructions in their sleep; not so much for Windows-only users) There are explicit, step-by-step instructions available, though.

eu1

qcrist likes this.
  5. qcrist

6. lewa

lewa Well-Known Member

I don't think so. Go ahead and try some root stuff. You might want to though, just to get some of the root-based stuff that comes with it.

7. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

Yes and No. lewa's answer is misleading.

Installation of the Root ROM (PB00IMG.ZIP) overwrites EVERYTHING on the phone - your OTA 2.1 will no longer be there after completing parts I and II in the instructions you referenced.

As for Part III - You can use that particular ROM if you like, and you certainly should replace the OS that is installed in Part I (because it is full of bugs), but you are free to choose whatever developer's ROM you want and load that one from the recovery boot menu using exactly the same steps (but with a ROM with a differently named .zip file).

eu1