• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting Captivate Froyo Update

ronaldramsayii

Android Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2010
Atlanta
One-Click Root Universal

Download V1.4

~You must enable USB Debugging.

Version changes:

v1.4
Changed main form's name to SuperOneClick from RageAgainstTheCageGUI
Enabled Captivate - Get Unlock Code button
Added a messagebox to confirm if Non Market Applications are enabled
Made "Enable Non Market Apps" FULLY universal
Added initial message telling you to remember to allow superuser commands (when enabling Non-Market Apps)

v1.3
Removed busybox for space reasons. Changed the layout. Fixed issue where application stayed running in the background. Added Non Market App button.

v1.2
Added a detection to see if RATC was already working.

v1.1
Universal device support. Application now finds your /system path.

v1.0
Initial release.

Development Plan:

Scheduled for next major release
Mac and Linux support via mono-project

To do list:
Jupiter fixes
Custom scripts support
Plugin support

Credit goes to Chris82079 here at Androidforums for the find!
Thanks to ShortFuse over at XDA for developing this application!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here's the "update.zip" I compiled to root. It's based off of UTB, just brought to Froyo.
Captivate Root Update.zip for Froyo

If you guys want a the same set-up Unleash The Beast as far as removing the bloatware, just let me know. I'll set it up...

Instructions:
~Mount USB and drop this "update.zip" to your internal hard drive
~Boot into standard recovery mode
~Update using "Reinstall Packages"
~Reboot

You'll need ADB in order to do this....

Download These things here: Captivate Root Pack 2.2

#1 - Rooting
su,busybox,sqlite3

Extract RootPack zip file
Browse to contents from cmd/terminal
adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
adb shell
cd /data/local/tmp
chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
(wait for you to get kicked from adb)
adb shell
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/stl9 /system
exit
adb push su /system/bin/su
adb push busybox /system/bin/busybox
adb push sqlite3 /system/bin/sqlite3
adb push superuser.apk /system/app/superuser.apk
adb shell
cd /system/bin
chmod 4755 su
chmod 4755 busybox
chmod 4755 sqlite3
reboot

#2 Non market apps
adb shell
su
cd /dbdata/databases/com.android.providers.settings
sqlite3 settings.db
update secure set value = "1" where name = "install_non_market_apps";
.quit
reboot

Thanks: CLShortFuse over at XDA-Dev for the manual installation.

I'm compiling a ROM ladies and gents. This "update.zip" rooting package is pretty time consuming, trying to get it right. I'm compiling a ROM based off of the JI6 Froyo leak....similar to Cognition. I'll be removing the AT&T stuff and so on. Root will be available, busybox as well. I'll keep it pretty basic, not doing to much until the official Froyo release is made....hopefully the end of this month.

I'll be bringing themes to Android, including the Vanilla Android everyone has been wanting for so long...Unlike DG's Cognition, my ROM will be deodexed, which makes theming much more easier and painless. The stock JI6 kernel will also be implemented. I'll continue working on a "update.zip" root package, but I'll be working on this ROM. I just finished deodexing most files, I have a few that want to be stubborn lol.

Expect some great things ladies/gents, not only from me, but from other devs as well....Just giving everyone a heads up in what to expect over the next month or so. I'll probably release it after Koush gets Clockworkmod Recovery updated to Froyo compatibility for the Captivate.

I need some ideas on names for my ROM. Something I can carry across platforms, into later phones and so on. So far "Essence" is where I'm at, but if anyone has any great names please feel free to vent.....the more ideas, the better.

Oh and one more thing....I'll need some BETA testers....some permanent ones....please have a little experience in Android....at least being able to understand some of the code....I'll keep everyone posted....

I NEED SOME NAMES!!!!

What if I can't boot into recovery using three button combo? Should I update to I believe jh7 which was the most recent software fore the captivate? I've had my captivate for about 2 weeks. I just wanna make sure I do this right since I do not have windows and have Mac and can't use Odin. Any help is greatly appreciated Ronald!

I don't have my Mac yet....so I'm not sure what to do. In order to install the leaked copy of Froyo, I know it's an .exe Windows executable file. So I'm not sure what they have done for Mac users yet...

Upvote 0
I'll give it a go here in a few (eating, etc. right now)- let me know...

Edit- Ouch, I just noticed there's a terminal emulator involved. I have no experience with that...maybe I'm not a good candidate?

It's not hard at all to use a term. emulator. Download it from the market and type in what's there....it'll do the rest...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones