Rooting concerns

Last Updated:

1. Steemax

Steemax Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey everyone, before I root my second captivate I wanted to know if after rooting would I be able to recieve any updates from ATT / Samsung Such as the gps fix or 2.2 when it comes out? I won't be installing a custom rom, just Super user permissions... Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. thindery

thindery Well-Known Member

I have heard a couple of things:

1) You can't update it unless you unroot the phone then you can download the update.
    2) If you can update while rooted it will most likely take away root if the root hole that was used is fixed/changed
    3) You can root and wait a little while for a custom rom that incorporates the update is out.

Option 3 sounds like it actually might be faster for an update, as all xda needs to get their hands on is one froyo update leak file and they can make a custom rom for all phones.

Hope this helps.

3. Steemax

Steemax Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

ok sounds good, I'm gonna go ahead and root, worse comes to worse I'll just unroot it :D

4. mttfrog13

mttfrog13 Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, if I rooted then unrooted, would it be undetectable that the phone was ever rooted as long as I don't uninstall any of the default apps or brick the phone?