• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rooting continues to get more difficult...

Are the pixel phones going to ship with a unique version of Android? Nougat has been rooted for a while

I haven't heard and don't / can't believe that it would not ship with Android 7.x / Nougat...not sure we'll know for sure until October (4th?).

edit: BGR says 7.1: http://bgr.com/2016/09/06/google-pixel-pixel-xl-nexus-android-7-1-nougat/

While it's true and fair to say that you can have root on Nougat (i.e., since shortly after the developer preview became available), there are no exploits that I'm aware of that can get you root on a device without an unlocked bootloader.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I never cared about hiding root from Google. It was a statement about what I thought of some of their offerings. All the extra stuff on a 16G phone when I wanted the space to store my apps. With most permissions, I've either disabled or deleted a lot of the crap now.
I still only need the Play Store. I have no use for anything else.

What about locked? There are now articles posted about using Pixel on Verizon. Verizon will be controlling all updates.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016...dont-buy-the-google-pixel-phone-from-verizon/

Upvote 0
^^^ Yep, Verizon really squashes devices with unlockable bootloaders...

Our beloved Samsung Galaxy Nexus didn't receive all of the updates it should have (in my opinion) because of VZW dragging their feet...(4.3 was released for the GSM version but the VZW version only received 4.2.2; but to be fair, the Sprint version never hit 4.2.2 like the VZW version did).

Also the VZW "exclusivity" is a bit misleading...

Anyway, back on-topic: if you want root, don't buy the VZW version.

Reactions: Jfalls63 and Hadron
Upvote 0
I never cared about hiding root from Google.

The issue isn't hiding root from Google. As the linked article explained, it's about hiding it from certain apps that won't run on rooted devices.

In any case, the previous post (thanks @JAy3001 ) appears to make the issue moot.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones