Rooting DInc

Last Updated:

1. HoochieCoo

HoochieCoo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

OK... I've searched and searched, and can't seem to find any clues to this problem.

I downloaded the lastest Unrevoked, and follwed the steps to install the HBOOT drivers (I get the same screen as they show).

I downloaded the SLCD image, started Unrevoked and specified the image. Enabled debugging on the phone and plugged it in.

Unrevoked sees the phone, I see a message flash by that it's pushing the image, the phone reboots, and Unrevoked says it's waiting for reboot. And...

There is no and. That is far as she goes. I verified I don't have HTC Sync installed (I never installed it).

Would it make any difference that I had the Android SDK installed and communicating with the phone sometime before I tried all this (like a couple weeks before)? Other than that, I am clueless and don't want to just start experimenting blindly.

Advertisement
  2. WormDoes

WormDoes Well-Known Member

Just to make sure...did you put the recovery file from the SLCD image when you unzipped it in the recovery of unrEVOked or the whole file?

3. HoochieCoo

Well I unzipped the file and ended up with a recovery.img. After starting unrevoked, I did a File -> Custom Recovery and selected that img file.

4. HoochieCoo

Got it.

I noticed there were some USB drivers for "HTC Android Phone USB Device" in Device Manager (Windows 7). I uninstalled them and reran unrevoked. It still didn't work, but it did something different (it came up in the clockwork recovery screen and didn't go any further).

So... I found this article on how to remove all driver references: Uninstall Drivers from Vista & Windows 7

So I did that, and there were like 8 of those drivers listed, and I removed them all.

Reran unrevoked, and it worked like a champ. Or at least my phone booted and I have a Super User program, and can access su from a terminal.

Now... off to screw up my phone. ;-)