Rooting discussion for 4.4 (kit kat)

1. dibblebill

dibblebill Well-Known Member

If you're lucky ;) Go grab one of the flashable 4.4 ROMs out there >_>

Advertisement
  2. Banished Angel

Banished Angel Well-Known Member

If I could unlock the bootloader and root with 4.3 on Verizon I would. As it stands my Verizon One is completely stock 4.3 Sense 5.0.
  3. dibblebill

dibblebill Well-Known Member

Verizon really has you guys locked in, don't they?
  4. WhizGidget

WhizGidget Well-Known Member

I saw this back in October. Haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like those of us on Verizon *can* unlock the bootloader.
    Verizon HTC One: Unlock Bootloader, Root, Gain S-Off and Install CWM / TWRP Recovery

Has anyone on Verizon tried it? The comments aren't encouraging, but they're also old.
  5. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

Rather than make redundant threads on this subject in each sub rooting section, for now will keep it here...
  6. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

rumrunner will give you s off,and id highly recomend to do that prior to 4.4,in case exploits are patched.

rumrunner does NOT install a custom recovery by default,so becoming s off does NOT mean that you can not OTA natuarally to 4.4 when(if ;) ) it hits

as long as youre s off,rooting will be easy :)

of course,once youre s off,you can install a recovery and try one of the many 4.4 roms out there,wich are devoid of big reds bloat. there is no real benefit to waiting,IMO

http://rumrunner.us/
    Hadron likes this.
  7. Banished Angel

I was under the impression that rumrunner did not work for Android 4.3 on Verizon and that I would have to wait for Firewater?

EDIT: Firewater should be coming out soon and I will NOT be accepting the 4.4 OTA in the meantime as i'm sure it will kill any chance I have of unlocking the bootloader. Once I get it unlocked and rooted i'll just install a 4.4 ROM. Most likely Cyanogenmod or Viper ROM.
  8. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

I thot rumrunner worked with 4.3,but not having vzw any longer I haven't followed it that closely. At any rate,firewater is out: http://firewater-soff.com/

I'm itching to try it out on something,lol
    Banished Angel likes this.
  9. Banished Angel

I wasn't aware it was out yet, I'll be trying it out today!
    scotty85 likes this.
  10. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

I don't think its been out for a long. I just saw it last night. Let us know how it goes :)
  11. Banished Angel

Before:
    Completely stock Verizon HTC One, S-on, not rooted, Android 4.3 Sense 5.0

After: S-off!

It worked! No troubles, Firewater worked the first try using the temproot method. Verizon owners everywhere, rejoice!
    WhizGidget, scotty85 and Hadron like this.
  12. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

Awsome! Glad it went well and you have joined us in s off land :D enjoy making your phone yours