• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ER6BEN

Sep 2, 2009
Seattle
I was wondering if it would be worth it to me to root my G1. The first thing I have to ask is whether or not I can keep all of my downloaded apps when I root, or if I will need to reinstall/configure all of them after rooting (I looked at cyanogen's website, and he says that he is creating a program to back up at least the "google experience" apps, will this be able to back up all my apps, and if so, has he actually completed this program yet? Where can I find it?). Assuming I back up all my apps, I will have access to the Android Market, right? Also, is there anything special I have to do to back up my SDcard, or can I just dump everything on it in a folder on my computer and then put it all back later?
What are the advantages of rooting/using a new rom? Are more bluetooth profiles available? Can I share/browse folders on my home network? Can I overclock? Can I use multitouch? What other things can I do that are really useful?
What are some of the disadvantages. I bought my G1 used, so I don't have to worry about violating a warranty. Is there anything else I should be worried about?
Finally if I decide I want to go to CyanogenMod, what is the best way to do it and NOT lose my apps? I've looked at a couple guides such as this forums guide here: http://androidforums.com/t-mobile-g1/12637-root-guide-stock-2-cyanogen-update-rom.html and another guide here:How To: Root the MyTouch 3G or G1 in One Click! | The Unlockr but neither of them seem to have a step for saving all of my apps. If they do and I missed it please let me know, otherwise some advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks for helping out a noob dummy!

You're always gonna have to wipe your device if it's your first time rooting your device. You can backup your apps with an app called MyBackup Pro. Rooting is definitely worth it. If you do it right, you'll never have to wipe again. And, if you do have to wipe again, there are many resources that are available only for rooted phones that will make it almost seamless.

You should root your phone because you can run the Hero with HTC sense on it. The hero build itself is by far the best build for a phone ever. You can link facebook to your people so when you go through your contacts it will show the latests updates on them.

There are some tweaks to do to make sure it runs with very minium slows.

I was wondering if it would be worth it to me to root my G1. The first thing I have to ask is whether or not I can keep all of my downloaded apps when I root, or if I will need to reinstall/configure all of them after rooting (I looked at cyanogen's website, and he says that he is creating a program to back up at least the "google experience" apps, will this be able to back up all my apps, and if so, has he actually completed this program yet? Where can I find it?). Assuming I back up all my apps, I will have access to the Android Market, right? Also, is there anything special I have to do to back up my SDcard, or can I just dump everything on it in a folder on my computer and then put it all back later?
What are the advantages of rooting/using a new rom? Are more bluetooth profiles available? Can I share/browse folders on my home network? Can I overclock? Can I use multitouch? What other things can I do that are really useful?
What are some of the disadvantages. I bought my G1 used, so I don't have to worry about violating a warranty. Is there anything else I should be worried about?
Finally if I decide I want to go to CyanogenMod, what is the best way to do it and NOT lose my apps? I've looked at a couple guides such as this forums guide here: http://androidforums.com/t-mobile-g1/12637-root-guide-stock-2-cyanogen-update-rom.html and another guide here:How To: Root the MyTouch 3G or G1 in One Click! | The Unlockr but neither of them seem to have a step for saving all of my apps. If they do and I missed it please let me know, otherwise some advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks for helping out a noob dummy!

There are apps in the market to back up your apps so after you root your phone you can re-apply them. Like shivers said, you will have to wipe your phone when you root. Once your phone is rooted, you should wipe when switching between ROMs. With Cyanogens new method, it doesn't necessarily back up the "Google Experience" apps. There is proprietary binary code built into android from google. Unlike the rest of the Android OS code, the Google code is not open source. It is illegal to redistribute that code without Googles consent. What Cyanogen did is a work around to that, pulling what is closed and then installing his code around that to complete the ROM as you install in recovery mode. Check Dream android development - xda-developers for ROMs and follow the devs instructions. You can use this link to compare what ROMs offer... AndroidSPIN: ROM Database v12.0
If you have problems you can PM me and I will assist you where I can. The advantages of the ROM you use truly depends on the ROM you chose to install on your device. You can overclock if your phone is rooted using an app called SetCPU from the market. You can use Multi-Touch with a custom ROM, once again, it depends on the ROM that you use. If you decide to root your device, you will be able to us apps2sd as well as cache2sd. You will be able to run compcache with or without back-swapping or linux-swap to improve performance of your device. There are many advantages to rooting your phone, I just tried to touch on the big ones. I have looked over many of the guides to root your phone and in my opinion, the How To: Root the MyTouch 3G or G1 in One Click! | The Unlockr is one of the best guides, and is the easiest to use.

First off, I've searched high and low for an answer to my problem, and I apologize profusely if my question has already been asked! I already posted this in another forum, but thought I might try here too.

I just received my third replacement HTC Dream device from Rogers (the first two BOTH had trackball issues unfortunately), and as soon as I received it I headed to my computer to get it rooted, as I had successfully done to my two previous Dreams.

Unlike my other two Dreams, which were SPL 1.33.0010, this phone is 1.33.0009. After following the steps on both http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=558301 and http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...73#post4280573, I get stuck on the Rogers screen when I press home & power, instead of going into the recovery menu.

I've googled my heart out, and tried everything I can think of...
I just don't know what to do! I just cannot get into recovery mode. Hopefully someone can help me out, and get me in to recovery mode, and into SPL 1.33.2005... from there on, I'll be good.

I followed the instructions exactly in both cases, and it's really frustrating!

Here's the full info of my phone:
DREAM PVT 32B SHIP S-ON d
HBOOT-1.33.0009 (DREA21000)
RADIO-3.22.20.17

Any help will be greatly appreciated... thanks in advance!

So I finally rooted my phone, and it seems to be working pretty well now. I used CyanogenMod's directions on their wiki located here: Full Update Guide - G1/Dream Firmware to CyanogenMod - CyanogenMod Wiki . At first google voice stopped working and would blink back and forth between the app screen and the calling screen. Luckily however the same night that I chose to root, cyanogen came out with 4.2.4 which fixed the problem I was having on 4.2.3.

So far I have used root access to Overclock my processor, to use multitouch zooming in the browser, and to use google navigation. Does anyone have and suggestions for other ways I can take advantage of rooting my phone. Also, does anyone know about any conflicts google voice may have with guava?

So I finally rooted my phone, and it seems to be working pretty well now. I used CyanogenMod's directions on their wiki located here: Full Update Guide - G1/Dream Firmware to CyanogenMod - CyanogenMod Wiki . At first google voice stopped working and would blink back and forth between the app screen and the calling screen. Luckily however the same night that I chose to root, cyanogen came out with 4.2.4 which fixed the problem I was having on 4.2.3.

So far I have used root access to Overclock my processor, to use multitouch zooming in the browser, and to use google navigation. Does anyone have and suggestions for other ways I can take advantage of rooting my phone. Also, does anyone know about any conflicts google voice may have with guava?

You can use USB to tether your PC/laptop.
Apps to SD card.

Thats all I can think of right now.

Anyone who is experienced on rooting...can I txt u for help?

Anyone who is experienced on rooting...can I txt u for help?

what is your question? what is it that you need assistance with? have you read a tutorial yet?

did you update the radio first? and what happens to the phone? can you go into recovery? can you go into bootloader mode?

I read the tutorial, even wrote it down. I'm using my phone instead of computer.
I downloaded the flash file...I pressed 'back up'....it said it failed....I'm stuck there.
What to do now?

i need to know what tutorial you read/wrote down... there are so many that i wont be able to help if im not sure what method you are using

Beginners Guide For Rooting Your Android G1 To Install Cupcake

This thread will have to be reviewed and if different rooting methods are involved ....

Then these posts will have to segregated and broken back out of the thread ....

This can happen when a desire to merge posts is taken to quickly and without fore-thought of the impact...

EDIT :

There are different methods involved ....
The other problem that has been created is that the poster and answer Identities have been striped from their original posts ... so it is hard /impossible to tell who ask and who answered what ... and even to which post the answer may have been for ... unless the person quoted the poster's question...

Geez such a Mess !!!

Upvote 0
The only way I know of to undo merge threads on vBulletin is to restore from backup. The problem with this is it would lose all changes to the rest of the forum as you cannot restore individual threads.

You could restore to a backup site and recreate the threads, but all information such as poster, thread subscriptions, date/time, etc. will still be lost.

Upvote 0
The only way I know of to undo merge threads on vBulletin is to restore from backup. The problem with this is it would lose all changes to the rest of the forum as you cannot restore individual threads.

You could restore to a backup site and recreate the threads, but all information such as poster, thread subscriptions, date/time, etc. will still be lost.

Thanks .... sucks every way !!

Upvote 0
:
Originally Posted by TheNorthernForest
Hello, G1 Users. Over the past few days we've been getting a few threads on the infamous rooting. You may use this thread to discuss. Ask questions, post problems, and of course, discuss how your rooted G1 is going.

Please do not use this thread as a 'How-to Guide' as we already have that thread here. We will begin to merge the most recent threads on this topic here.

If a user creates a thread on rooting, we will merge. If it gets to the point where it seems like "no one is listening to us" we will begin to delete/lock threads.

You may contact either I, TheNorthernForest or Jaxx10

Thank you for your participation.

I caution any Mod to NOT just delete a post or thread without consultation with others... I would like to say that there are many rooting methods out there and each has it's place.

Each different method deserves its own thread as discussion about the different methods should of course not be merged .... That would be a disaster !!!

---------- This was my response to this Thread before it was merged ....

Upvote 0
:
Originally Posted by staceystars
erm... didn't save the page..it came off one of the forums though.. and had ALOT of replies to it. All the guides I had looked out pretty much had the same information.

You can try my Guide ... but it is geared more to US build ... so make sure you have the RC7 or RC9 ???? dont remember which ... and that you have the proper radio ...

If you mix the wrong files/build elements you will have a messed up possibly bricked phone ...

Upvote 0
:
So after months and months of considering to root my phone.. after purchasing a Ipod Touch and reading that I could use my wifi to connect I went ahead.. ran in to this problem instantly.. have searched the internet for hours with no luck and im going mad here :(.I followed every step unzipped the file.. placed the correct one for the UK onto my SD card.. turned off.. pressed home and camera and ran the set up.. it failed towards the end on the bar and now i'm stuck.. can't get past the rainbow screen.. i've put a different sd card in and that's made no difference at all. i've re tried this process for hours now and still nothing.. i've taken the battery out every time.. i've tried resetting but there's no response at all... help? :(thanks in advance.stacey xx

Which process or Guide for rooting did you use ?

:

erm... didn't save the page..it came off one of the forums though.. and had ALOT of replies to it. All the guides I had looked out pretty much had the same information.

So I went back and followed the directions completely and it did the same thing....black screen. I then went and wiped everything and did it one more time using the newest cyanogen mod (4.2.4 )as opposed to the one I had before and it worked !! I am very excited. So first off thank you to everybody here who has provided help and words of wisdom and to anyone new to this like me, the best advice I can give is : follow directions and be patient. It will pay off.

I am not a computer guy but I am trying really hard to learn. My wife is getting sick of our growing (for dummies) library.

Hi there I am so close to rooting my g1 but have a few questions.

if I root what happens when there is a phone update, I am on 1.6 donut anyone know when there will be another.

Also I have seen there are a lot of updates for cyanogen rom updates, do you have to do anything or does it do it automatically.

can you reset it back to unrooted.

I see there are a few guides out there, I have donut 1.6 uk version what is the best guide for us.

Thank you all.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones