Rooting Doughnut

Last Updated:

1. Dottom22

Dottom22 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I didn't see any threads about anyone rooting doughnut so I figured I'd start one. I want to root my G1 and when learning how, one of the steps was to revert back to Cupcake. I'd really like to not go back to an older OS. I rather like 1.6. So my question is... Why do you have to go back to 1.5 to root your G1? Are there directions to root Doughnut? Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Swizz

Swizz Well-Known Member

The reason you downgrade is because it gives access to the exploit that allows rooting and custom ROMs. After you've rooted you can upgrade to a custom 1.6+ ROM.

3. Dottom22

Oh ok. So can u update using the normal Google OS update or do I have to get 1.6 from another source in a modified form?

4. Swizz

Swizz Well-Known Member

After rooting and all that jazz step one to installing CyanogenMod (the most popular and most frequently updated) is actually downloading and installing the HTC version of 1.6. After that you can install Cyanogen's version and be on your way.

--Donut BUILDS-- - GetYourDroidOn

5. Dottom22

Thanks for all the input so far! I've hit a snag however... I took the option from theunlockr.com with the How to root G1/My Touch One Click Method. It works great, I got the new recovery image working just fine but the step where you are suppose to format/partition the SD with the FAT32+ext2+swap is where it goes all wrong.
    The directions say to wipe mem then to select partition FAT32+ext2+swap...
    once done with the partition, to take the battery out...
    put SD card in an adapter to put the ROM image on your SD via PC...
    replace SD card and reboot phone back to recovery image...
    wipe the mem again...
    then load the updated rom.
    Well I can get to the step where you're suppose to partition the SD card but when I pull the card out and put it in the PC the PC says it's not formatted. What's more is when it's in the phone after the partition, it says it can't mount the SD card when trying to load an update. I can load a custom ROM on the SD card with the straight FAT32 format but once I do the partition with ext2+swap the SD is unreadable... by either PC or G1. Other then that the the root worked. Any ideas? Thanks!

6. Swizz

Swizz Well-Known Member

What are you using to format your memory card? Also, by sheer stubbornness Windows machines do not read ext* filesystems which is why you're having trouble reading it in your PC.

7. Dottom22

I'm using the Fresh Recovery version 1.1.3. It has an option to do "sd part Fat32" or "sd part fat32+ext2+swap" which is what I'm suppose to use to load custom ROM's I understand. Also, I used the updated radio 2.22.19.26I and apparently the latest G1 SPL. Not sure if that helps.

Oh, ok. Not sure how they were able to do it on "theunlockr.com" video but despite windows not being able to read it the only other way I can get a new ROM on there is to load one on while the card is still in Fat32 format. Then place the card in the phone, load the new ROM... Wipe the memory... then partition it... then reload the new ROM all without rebooting in between. But the phone doesn't get past the boot screen after a restart. That's as close as I can get.

8. TJBunch1228

TJBunch1228 Member

So I am considering rooting my MT3G. It came with 1.6 stock. I understand I have to revert to cupcake in order to root. My computer does not have an sd card slot. Am I SOL here, or is there a way to revert to cupcake without having to remove the sd card from my phone (which is my only way of accessing my sd card on my computer)?

Any ideas are awesome.

9. TJBunch1228

TJBunch1228 Member

I realize I just posted this in the G1 section. Don't stab the n00b. I will post in the MT3G section. Sorry guys!

10. Dottom22

Ok I got it figured out. The Fat32+ext2+swat is for the Apps2sd thing... so I just loaded the ROM with Fat32 but when I reboot it stays frozen at the G1 load screen. I've tried reloading the update.zip... any thoughts thanks!

11. Swizz

Swizz Well-Known Member

wipe and then apply the update again.

12. Dottom22

Yeah, tried that several times. Even unrooted the and re-rooted the phone just to make sure. Then when rooted, I'd wipe and reload the update and after several attempts nothing... Is there something wrong with the updated SPL I'm downloading?

13. Dottom22

Or could it be the Fresh recovery image I'm using???

14. Dottom22

Never mind. Figured out that it was just a poor combination of Recovery imag, SPL, and ROM.

So FYI... the One click Root method from "theunlockr.com" may not work with your G1. I had constant issues with the Fresh Recovery image and it's partitioning (messed up my SD card). Also, it may have been a fluke with me but everything they recommended with the Fresh Recovery, like the SPL and link to ROMs never seamed to work.

I had great success from a guy named Al on You Tube (it's androids world) who has a fantastic set of videos and explains them well for rooting with the one click method only with a different Recovery, SPL, and ROMS! And links to the all when you click the "more info" to the right when watching the video. Now my phone works great with MLIGN Hero ROMs, Dwang, SuperD, and Cyanogen! Highly recommended!