Rooting Droid Eris (Already on 2.1 OTA)

Last Updated:

1. aphughes88

aphughes88 Member This Topic's Starter

Hey everybody,

New on the forum. Great site though. Anyways..I had a droid eris but I have changed phones and now simply out of curiosity I want to root the phone and try some custom ROM, live wallpaper, better performance, etc. I currently have the OTA 2.1. I have found a lot of old information online about rooting the phone to go from 1.5 to 2.1 but nothing about how to do it if you already are already running 2.1. Is there a way to do this? Thanks in advance.

P.S. I have the OTA file but I got it as it came out through this site when someone posted the file..so I didn't actually get it over the air but it is the same file.

Advertisement
  2. namu1107

namu1107 Well-Known Member

Rooting your phone while on 2.1 is the same as being on 1.5.

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/53963-guide-stock-1-5-latest-root-2-1-a.html

That will take you through the process... and I'm not too sure if its the same file. If your HBOOT is 1.47, you can root. You can check that by holding down the volume button on your phone and power at the same time. Do a battery pull to get out of that screen.

If you are able, and need help, ask around. Everyone here is really nice, and quick to respond. Also, check out the IRC chatroom and XDA website.

Happy Rooting!

3. aphughes88

Thanks for the quick reply!! Mine says 1.46 =(

4. copestag

copestag Well-Known Member

you can root with 1.46 also.......... you can root with anything other than 1.49

5. namu1107

+1. Sry, should have specified that :)

6. cmajpwc

cmajpwc Well-Known Member

All Things Root (Eris) - Android Forums

This should help answer more of your questions, if you have any with regards to rooting. Good luck, I don;t have it in me to root. I'm too afraid I'll screw something up lol

7. namu1107

I was worried about that too until I rooted and realized how fairly easy it was, and how truly hard it is to mess up your phone. The instructions were pretty much to the T, and as long as you have read around the forum a bit, you'll pick up on the problems that other people had, and learn where to search for the answers.

Ill never go back!

8. copestag

copestag Well-Known Member

oddly enough....... Ive made some type of crack, hack, jailbreak, mod to every phone Ive had........ until this one.... Its completely within my nature to immediately root this phone...... alas..... my very first "smart" phone and the dumb thing came with 1.49 and cant be rooted :(

not thats just rotten luck right there

9. aphughes88

Hey again! So I realized that I can download that all- in- one package as I am not too comfortable with the commands. However, I am on a mac and I don't think the /bat file will run on this machine. So am I forced to do the commands since I have a mac? Thanks

10. aphughes88

.bat*

11. raphifix

raphifix Well-Known Member

You indeed have to do the commands by hand. I have an iBook G4, so that precluded me from even using the Android SDK on my machine because it's x86 only. If you don't plan on pushing/pulling files to/from your device or doing anything besides trying different ROMs, I would consider using a friend's Windows computer to root and then uninstalling the SDK after you're done with the all-in-one script. Just my thoughts... :)

12. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

This thread should actually be moved to "All Things Root".

The Mac is actually easier, as you don't have to worry about that pesky USB driver install. Very important: these instructions assume that you have an Intel based Mac. If you have a Macbook, Macbook Pro, an iMac or Mac Mini purchased after 2006, you should be all set. You can check for sure by clicking the Apple menu item at the top left on Mac OS, choose "About This Mac", and look for the Processor; if it says "Intel", you are ready to use these instructions.

Here are the instructions from the guide in the All Things Root subforum, with some of my comments interposed, to help with Mac: http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/53963-guide-stock-1-5-latest-root-2-1-a.html

(I will also credit erisuser1 in another thread, starting with this post, for the much-easier Fastboot method of installing the Recovery image):

Now, you can continue on with the guide, substituting the ROM image of your choice with what is in the initial guide.

I suggest Ivan's Eris Official 1.0, which can be downloaded from here: HTC Droid Eris ROM Site (the one called Eris_Official_1.0_OC.zip). Just replace that name in the instructions that continue in the guide.

13. Houstatlanavegas

Houstatlanavegas Well-Known Member

I would or we would be in the same boat but I have a regular windows vista PC anyone got something for that??

14. aphughes88

Thanks a lot doogald! But how to I drop the root file onto my sd card if it is not mounted?? It says in the first step to make sure that I the sd card is not mounted to the computer. Ughh such a noob haha

15. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Go ahead and mount it to copy the file there from the Mac, but when the copy is done, eject the drive from the Finder, on the Eris use the Notification for USB to disconnect the disk drive - and you should be all set.

16. James0615

James0615 New Member

hey thanks for the information i can't wait to have my droid eris rooted. I started the tutorial but when I went to check to make sure everything was working in the terminal window mine said
    * daemon not running. starting it now *
    * daemon started successfully *
    List of devices attached

but there was no HT and then a number after it just stopped at the list of devices attached and then there was a blank line.

17. James0615

James0615 New Member

I started this tutorial but when I went to check to see if all was in order in the terminal window i didn't get a ht and then a number after the list of devices. it just said list of devices and then nothing after that. I just want to make sure I get everything right before proceeding. thanks again for the tutorial.

18. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I'm going to move this thread since it will probably be better served in the root section.

thenestor likes this.