Rooting Droid from Ubuntu

Last Updated:

1. Deadpocketss

Deadpocketss Member This Topic's Starter

Does anybody have a legit way to Root the Motorola Droid via an Ubuntu computer?

Advertisement
  2. mrjerryk

mrjerryk Well-Known Member

I haven't tried to connect my Droid to Ubuntu yet, but if I'm not mistaking it shouldn't matter what OS you are using. You only need to copy some files to the SD card to root. Everything else is done on the Droid itself.

3. Deadpocketss

Deadpocketss Member This Topic's Starter

Yeah, I've seen where you copy the .zip file into the SD card but I can't seem to find a working link to the .zip file.

4. mrjerryk

mrjerryk Well-Known Member

5. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

You cannot root the Droid from Ubuntu. RSD Lite only runs under Windows. You could try installing Windows in a VirtualBox VM and then installing RSD Lite there, but I honestly wouldn't do it. I DEFINITELY wouldn't do it through Wine, either. ;)

Can you borrow a computer with Windows? The step with RSD Lite is the initial step; it can be done in 15-30 minutes and the rest can be done under any OS.

6. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

actually you can root the droid from linux. I dont know about ubuntu specifically but [mbm] the guy who made the spr sbf file made a way to do it in linux. I will look for instructions and post here shortly

edit: here are the instructions I found. They do use virtual box Im still looking to see if there is a way to do it without but it looks like this works. At least others have done it before you

http://forum.droidmod.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=17b72fcd34f3be986414444b7f9703f6&/topic,1004.0.html

I knew it was out there...here you go

http://blog.opticaldelusion.org/2010/05/sbfflash.html

shadowdude777 likes this.
  7. shadowdude777

Haha, I have to thank you for this. Soon, I'll be dumping my Creative X-Fi because the company sucks and is keeping me from using Linux; so it's nice to know I'll be able to flash SBF files in Linux. :)

8. AndroidsOfTara

AndroidsOfTara Well-Known Member

Um, I did.

But this was pre-2.1.

9. shadowdude777

You did!? I'm assuming not natively. You used VirtualBox or something similar?

EDIT: Nevermind, I realized you meant rooting 2.0.1... duh. ;)