Rooting Droid

Last Updated:

1. mobrienjr

mobrienjr Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I applied the 2.1 update manually. I was curious when rooting the phone if it would be smart for me do a hard reset, then do the rooting. If I do that will it set my phone back to 2.01 or 2.1?

Advertisement
  2. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

A hard reset "should" bring you back to the 2.1, because that was the last current update - it's the OS. Hard resetting will remove all of your settings, apps, etc.

Hard reset, and then just bypass the google intro and check system settings to see what version is on it - then just root if it's right for you.

3. mobrienjr

yeah, I have decided to just go through the instructions on droid-life and black droid mod

4. mobrienjr

well I did it and the process was easier than I expected....now onto putting a new kernal to get over the 800 mhz that came as stock from kangerade

5. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

Welcome to the addiction machine :)

6. BlueIce5249

BlueIce5249 Well-Known Member

Be careful when you OC though, the wrong kernel will eat the hell out of your battery life.

7. mobrienjr

I know. I put the chevy ulv 1.0 ghz kernal and I am going to see how the battery does. I got setCPU. Thank you to the developer of this program. I am going to also try out the p3droid 1.2 ghz kernal later on.

8. BlueIce5249

BlueIce5249 Well-Known Member

SetCPU didnt work for me, it actually made my battery life MUCH worse. I know some other people have suspected it did the same thing to their battery life. Just a little friendly warning.

9. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

SetCPU is not responsible for your bad battery life. For most it actually improves battery life. You need to find a kernel that works well with your phone and have profiles setup to drop the clock speed down at times when its not necessary for it to be high like when the screen is off. My clock speed is set to drop as my battery percentage drops as well. Normally I am at 1200 when my battery drops below 60% it goes down to 900 at 40% 800 and below 30% 600. My battery last longer with things like this in place than it did with the stock kernel