• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Rooting Element for idiots

ghost25

Lurker
Jun 12, 2011
Hey guys, got a question here. Before I go any further please note that I've been Googling for the last 3 months trying to figure this out and, while I've found plenty of resources, nothing I've found has actually worked for me. Maybe there's something I'm just not getting... I don't know.

I've got a Pantech Element running Android 4.0.4 and I downloaded the following packages (I believe I extracted them to the correct location, but maybe not; this is exactly why I don't like Windows!):

p4100-tun
Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed
element-pkg
cwm5.0.2.7-pororo
(I may have more packages but can't think right now, please bear with me)

I've been fighting this issue for quite a while but maybe this is because Windows has such a different structure compared to Linux. I've gotten ADB figured out and have rebooted the Element through CMD a few times, and have also played around with the recovery screen a bit, but no matter what I do, the most I can do is clear my cache, format cards, etc. I can't seem to load the Superuser stuff at all.

I want to root this thing because while I have a good sized microSD card, I can't seem to install anything to it. I don't use this for music or pictures, it's more of a device to use between my laptop or my phone, but I constantly am running out of space due to certain programs like Google default etc constantly updating. I don't use Google Magazines or whatever, and want to pull them, but can't figure out how. They also automatically try to update even with me specifying not to.

If this has been figured out by someone then by all means point me in the right direction and lock this thread, but I basically need a guide for someone who is a complete Windows newb and a total idiot when it comes to rooting. For reference, the last time I rooted/jailbroke something was my old iPhone and I shortly thereafter unjailbroke it so I don't know what I'm doing at all.

Note that I'm also comfortable using CMD if needed, but I get too confused running Windows. Thanks for any help.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones