Rooting Eris at 2.1

Last Updated:

1. tymogr

tymogr Active Member This Topic's Starter

I feel like such a jerk having to ask this, but forums are my last hope.

I would like to root my Droid Eris (currently at the official 2.1 update from Google/HTC) so I can run custom roms (namely overcooked ones and ones like Motoblur).

Can anyone show me how to do this or send me a link on how to do it? All the instructions I find are for rooting 1.5 or 1.6 to run a hacked 2.1, obviously something I don't need to do. Thanks for your help guys and gals.

Advertisement
  2. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

Try this sub-forum. Lots of answers there.

All Things Root (Eris) - Android Forums

3. thenestor

thenestor Well-Known Member

You have to follow the exact same directions as if you're on 1.5. And yes, it will downgrade you to an older version of 2.1 (2.19.605.1), and then you have to install a custom ROM to get back up to the OTA version (2.36.605.1). There's no simple solution for simply rooting your existing software as-is.

4. tymogr

tymogr Active Member This Topic's Starter

Fantastic. I'm on 2.19.605.1 now, and it seems odd that it's not giving me an OTA update to go back to 2.36.605.1. So is there any way to downgrade to 1.5/1.6 then OTA to 2.36.605.1 or any other 2.1 official update?

5. thenestor

thenestor Well-Known Member

I'm confused by your request. You're currently rooted, but you'd like to un-root? Or you're currently rooted and you want a ROM that's based on the OTA?

6. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

You need to continue following the root procedure steps, get Amon's Recovery Image installed, and, from there, there are plenty of root images to choose from. Jcase's plain jane or ivan's official are extremely close to Eris stock 2.1.