• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting exploit for a stock 2.2 phone is now available!

novox77

Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
Jul 7, 2010
Update: November 3, 2010
Reports are coming in that new Evos are being factory-shipped with a new build/hboot that is not compatible with the current unrevoked3.2. Before you attempt to root, make sure you verify your build number. If you have 3.30.x, you have to wait for unrevoked to get updated.

Update: September 20, 2010
The simplest way to root a stock 2.2 phone is via unrevoked 3.2.1. This is probably the most straightforward FULL root procedure for end users since Simpleroot. A guide to this new procedure can be found here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=787304

The original manual root process for 2.2 is described below. This option is still available for stock 2.2 users if you want to be more hands on.

--------
Rooting exploit for a stock 2.2 phone is now available!

I know a lot of you are on stock 2.2 waiting for an exploit to be found so you can root your phones. Here's a thread on xda that details how:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=765496

Be careful. Make sure you get as familiar with the process as possible before proceeding. See if others are running into issues. Good luck!

For a step-by-step explanation of the root exploit procedure, take a look here:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/159124-new-rooting-procedure-explained.html

It can take as little as a few days to a few months. It depends on whether or not they managed to close out every exploit. It is technically possible to have no exploits whatsoever so you can never root again but not probable.

I disagree, there is no way to close all exploits. They can close them as they find them however.. ;)

BenHoltz

Upvote 0
This forum is about learning and sharing information. The fact that these threads keep coming up shows that the members here are awaiting root for 2.2. This happens with almost every phone that receives an update. I remember it happening with my phone and it will happen with others as well.

There is absolutely no reason to be rude or talk down to people that want to know something like this.

Upvote 0
unrevoked dev team (unrevoked) on Twitter

Does this make anyone happy. I hope they are talking about rooting 2.2 not already rooted 2.2. I hate how cryptic they are.

Ok, well let's examine their message in "Lost" fashion. I see 3 parts:

1) You can expect another face on the wall of phones soon. (they are going to support another android phone)

2) 2.2 folks: stuff is coming down the pipeline. (they are getting close to a root method. Perhaps an exploit has been found, and now they are working on bundling it)

3)Inc folks: use Forever before the OTA!
(Droid Incredible is about to get the 2.2 OTA, so they're reminding those guys to ROOT NOW before it's too late)

Upvote 0
Ok, well let's examine their message in "Lost" fashion. I see 3 parts:

1) You can expect another face on the wall of phones soon. (they are going to support another android phone)

2) 2.2 folks: stuff is coming down the pipeline. (they are getting close to a root method. Perhaps an exploit has been found, and now they are working on bundling it)

3)Inc folks: use Forever before the OTA!
(Droid Incredible is about to get the 2.2 OTA, so they're reminding those guys to ROOT NOW before it's too late)

Exactly how i took it. I think this is good news for all and my face looks like this :), but if its for rooted 2.2 i am going to give them this :eek: and then this :mad:.

Upvote 0
This forum is about learning and sharing information. The fact that these threads keep coming up shows that the members here are awaiting root for 2.2. This happens with almost every phone that receives an update. I remember it happening with my phone and it will happen with others as well.

There is absolutely no reason to be rude or talk down to people that want to know something like this.

Exactly... I can't understand why someone who is so tired of reading comments about "rooting 2.2" would click on a thread entitled, "Can i root 2.2?" if all it's gonna do is upset them and cause them to complain that the person should have searched. Complete waste of energy. So what if there's another thread next week. Dont read it if you dont like it.

Remember: Clicking the thread is voluntary. LOL

Upvote 0
I have been able to get everything on my Ally with 2.2 put into place except for one line. When I write to the /system/bin/su it is giving me a "invalid length" error. Everything sees my phone as rooted, but blames Superuser for falling asleep on the job and timing them out. Superuser thinks it's doing it's job, but nobody is asking for help. I can manually use the phone just like it is fully rooted, back everything up, change permission on programs, delete system applications, encrypt really, and read my log files. The automatic applications just won't run. Find me why my 2.2 gives me this error, and I'll show you a rooted 2.2. Short of non-system applications having access to the root, I think your post is wrong. It roots just like 2.1 just have to go through one hell of a process to get all the lines to take. Have to usecreative means to get here! Probably more technical than the Wii. If my display hadn't lost illumination I would still have omnipitant power over my data. Anyone know an easy way to unroot without visual display before eight more days pass is my newest best friend.

Reactions: IRepTheKing
Upvote 0
I have been able to get everything on my Ally with 2.2 put into place except for one line. When I write to the /system/bin/su it is giving me a "invalid length" error. Everything sees my phone as rooted, but blames Superuser for falling asleep on the job and timing them out. Superuser thinks it's doing it's job, but nobody is asking for help. I can manually use the phone just like it is fully rooted, back everything up, change permission on programs, delete system applications, encrypt really, and read my log files. The automatic applications just won't run. Find me why my 2.2 gives me this error, and I'll show you a rooted 2.2. Short of non-system applications having access to the root, I think your post is wrong. It roots just like 2.1 just have to go through one hell of a process to get all the lines to take. Have to usecreative means to get here! Probably more technical than the Wii. If my display hadn't lost illumination I would still have omnipitant power over my data. Anyone know an easy way to unroot without visual display before eight more days pass is my newest best friend.

<ave them write a way for me to manually enter enter entries in superuser and I'm in 2.2.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones