Rooting failed!

Last Updated:

1. bograma

bograma Member This Topic's Starter

Hello guys. I've been trying for some time to root my Desire using this method.
    I failed every time and I can't figure out why. Please take a look at the picture where I get the error and tell me what I do wrong. The Goldcard is O.K, nothing wrong with it. Do you know another failure-proof method? If so, please let me know.

Advertisement
  2. Desire D

Desire D Well-Known Member

3. kboya

kboya Well-Known Member

"Unzip the file you downloaded to a directory, then open a command prompt / terminal window at that directory.
    Copy the 'update.zip' file to your microSD. Do NOT rename it." (modaco r6 guide)

ok, I had the same message you linked when rooting, and what I realised after about 3 attempts was that when the modaco guide says 'copy', I had in fact 'cut'. In short you copy he update.zip to your sdcard, leaving a copy in the pc directory you have the command prompt at. As soon as I did that, the process worked first time! As did flashing subsequent ROMs using fakeflash/rom manager.

I have now unrooted and gone back to stock, as I quite liked my phone how it was... do not know how long it might take me to get it like that again!

4. bograma

@kboy Hey, thanks for the heads-up! I will try it again tonight! Why did you comeback to the original ROM? Any problems with the cooked one? What ROM did you use? Or was it just the root?

5. kboya

kboya Well-Known Member

no worries. I went back as I tried a couple of stock android ROMs and realised that I had Sense set up nicely, and it was going to take an eternity to test out apps and find all the things I liked. There was nothing as such wrong with the ROMS, although I felt the fone was that little bit less responsive in touch screen, but that was simply my feeling. I havent had any memory problems, as I try apps and uninstall the ones I dont like, use or find are less fun after 3 goes. I have spent the last 3 months playing with this fone like a demon, and have worked out how to keep it running sweet and avoid/fix many of the issues others have. I am not so impatient about the HTC official froyo release that I need it 'NOW!!':D

I will root again, maybe sometime when I have less on, and am looking forward to Paul @ modaco's sense-filled-froyo-rom-delight. But, the fact that I knew I could revert made the last time a bit of an experiment. I might get bored of waiting for HTC, and reckon that Paul's will be the one for me.:p

Whatever you choose to do, enjoy

6. steveky

steveky Member

Kboya
    Where did you get the stock Rom from because as you i miss the old look/feel of the 2.1 with the UI Sense
    Steve

7. kboya

kboya Well-Known Member

8. steveky

steveky Member

9. kboya

kboya Well-Known Member

steveky and lekky like this.
  10. bograma

@Desire D Thanx, it worked with your link! I'll keep it rooted for the moment, not putting a custom ROM, got also Apps2SD installed so I'm fine, lots of memory left on my 8 GB card! Thanks everyone for pitching in, I'm gonna be more present around here thanks to your help!;)