1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Rooting for Bluetooth

1. Teris

Teris Well-Known Member

I apologize in advance for these noob questions, but I'm contemplating rooting my phone because it simply won't connect to my 2011 BMW 3281 via bluetooth. I know nothing about rooting, but I have read a few posts where people were able to connect to this car after rooting. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone about how to go about doing this and what steps I'd need to take to properly set up my phone to connect. Thanks very much!

Advertisement
    :
  2. windycity

windycity Well-Known Member

Rooting itself should make no difference. The actual root process does not change the function of the phone. It simply relieves some of the internal security so that the user (you) can make decisions about what software should and should not be allowed on the phone.

One of those decisions you can make is to load a custom ROM. That's essentially a new operating system to some extent and could change the way the bluetooth radio works. I'm not fluent in all of the various ROMs out there to say if there is one that will actually do that.

Have you asked to see if BMW has any software updates for your car?
  3. rtlsdroid

rtlsdroid Member

Teris,

I have a 2010 X5, and have had only one minor problem in connecting and using the BT unit with my Inc. (inc doesn't transfer phone #'s if I have a picture associated with the contact in the phone). I'd try to get the car software updated first, as windycity said.

rt
  4. rtlsdroid

rtlsdroid Member

Teris,

I have a 2010 X5, and have had only one minor problem in connecting and using the BT unit with my Inc. (inc doesn't transfer phone #'s if I have a picture associated with the contact in the phone). I'd try to get the car software updated first, as windycity said.

rt
  5. Teris

Teris Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies! Unfortunately, BMW tells me there has not been an update. I really need my BT to work, so I'm looking into all options.