• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROOTING For Dummies Guide.....the Gingerbread Edition

ocnbrze

DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
  • May 13, 2010
    Los Angeles
    EVO GINGERBREAD HAS S-OFF
    The exploit is called Revolutionary and it is packaged by the unrevoked and AlphaRevX teams. Here is the official page for the exploit: Revolutionary

REVOLUTIONARY
    81152493.jpg

Please read this guide thoroughly before attempting this.
    i'm not responsible for bricking your phone and ROOTING YOUR PHONE WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY.

How to use this guide
    hint: click on the show button below.
    85680746.jpg

Congrats now you know how to use this guide. now get your root on!:D

update: 05/2012 there has been another update (most likely the last) it is for gingerbread 2.3.5, software 5.07.651.1 Do not accept it. Fortunately it does not change the hboot. you will still need to use the http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...-rooting-gingerbread-2-3-5-dummies-guide.html to root your phone.

update: 1/19/2012 there has been a new ota out. it is for gingerbread 2.3.5, software 4.67.651.3. Do not accept it. if you do then this guide will not work.
    please use this guide:
    http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...-rooting-gingerbread-2-3-5-dummies-guide.html

for further details please scroll down the guide to the OTA section.

Before Rooting

things you will need to do:
    • first thing to do is read the Revolutionary S-OFF & Recovery tool wiki
    • download the htc drivers:HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe and install it onto your computer.
    • *do a factory reset on your phone go into phone settings/ sd storage/factory data reset. you will also loose all of your contacts and other data like text messages. so make sure that you backup accordingly. App List Backup or SMS Backup & Restore are good apps to use. also make sure your phone's contacts are linked to google which backs up your contacts to the cloud. when you sync with google again your contacts will be back. Another good app to use is MyBackup Pro It pretty much backs up everything for you. check it out.(optional)
    • *reformat your sd card by backing up the content of your card to the computer and in your phone go to settings/sd storage/unmount sd card/erase sd card.(optional)
    • make sure your phone has usb debugging on. go to phone settings/applications/development/check usb debugging
    • download this and put this file, Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed on the root(not in any folder) of your card via usb cable.
    • make sure that htc sync is uninstalled and also any anit-virus prgrams you have running on your computer is turned off.
    • also if you have pda net or doubletwist installed on your computer uninstall them.
    • and last but not least make sure that fastboot is unchecked. phone settings/applications/ uncheck fastboot.

*optional but recommended because you want to get the phone as clean as you can before rooting it. it is not necessary.​

On to Rooting your EVO!!!!!

1.go here Revolutionaryand download the revoltionary file and extract it somewhere on your desktop.
    2.connect your phone to the pc and select charge only.
    3.run the executable revolutionary file. it is the only file that is named revolutionary.
    4.it will detect your phone's specific serial number. use that to generate the beta key on the revolutionary website.
    5.enter the beta key in the revolutionary dos window on your computer. people have been reporting that the key is invalid. if this happens, the icon on the upper left of the DOS command window is a drop-down button that will let you get to the edit option that allows you to copy/paste between DOS and a window. so just copy and paste the key in.
    6.it should then run and do its thing.
    7.when it finishes it will ask you if you want to download and install clockwork mod recovery, select yes.

next we need to go and verify that you have s-off and if you have recovery
    8.select bootloader by using the up and down vol. buttons and using the power button to make a selection.
    9.on the hboot screen at the top it should say s-off, if it does then congrats!

next we need to flash the superuser file (superuser su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip)
    10.select recovery in bootloader.
    11.select install .zip from sdcard.
    12.find the superuser file and flash it.

time to make a nandroid backup.
    13.still in recovery go back to the main menu
    14.select backup and restore.
    15.select backup.
    16.after it is done you can reboot.

now a lot of people are reporting that revolutionary stops in the middle giving you s-off but with no recovery (you get a red triangle with an exclamation mark). reboot the phone (or pull the battery) and rerun revolutionary. it will ask you if you want to download clockwork mod. select yes and it should work the second time.

CONGRATS YOU ARE NOW ROOTED!!!!!!

For Those Who have Macs:
    thanx EarlyMon!!!!

Pffft.

And I bet you cats thought I'd forgotten about you - NEVER gonna happen, compadres! ;)

OK - here's what you need to do to make revolutionary.io happen on a Mac, the free way -

1. Install a virtual machine (VM)
    2. Install Ubuntu inside that machine
    3. Do revolutionary from there

And - we have good friend willy900wonka at XDA to help light the way:

[Guide]Using Revolutionary and Getting Soff on a MAC - xda-developers

Note - that's for the Evo 3D, but so what, there is really only one sky, if you get my meaning.

He has some picture instructions on how to set up the VM linked to -

How to set up Ubuntu Linux on a Mac -- it's easy and free - TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

The pictures are a little out of date - but don't panic - the newer version with the different options - just accept the defaults on the extra setup screens. (Except where given the choice to say Linux/Ubuntu.)

And the VM - although free - is exactly what I'm using on one of my business Macs to run a Red Hat distribution - to be honest, in some ways, I like it better than Parallels (it's like the old Parallels in that it's easier to configure and it just works). Best of all, it's free, and you get it from here -

http://virtualbox.org

And you want to get and use Ubuntu 10.04 (again - instructions are for Ubuntu 9, and wonka said to use 10.10, but 10.04 is the long-term supported version and should do nicely - but I think you'll be able to get the idea). Like any virtual machine setup, you need a CD of an operating system - or just an ISO image of the install CD that VirtualBox can mount as a virtual CD. And you can get that from -

http://www.ubuntu.com/start-download?distro=desktop&bits=32&release=lts

That's for the 32-bit version, I am *pretty sure* that will work just fine.

It's going to look like a lot of fol-de-rol but it's what you expect:

• Set up virtual machine
    • Set up Ubuntu
    • Set up Android sdk to get adb and fastboot (if needed)
    • Trust the revolutionary.io wiki - public:revolutionary [RootWiki]

________________________After Rooting______________________​

Life After Root

ok so you are rooted so now what?

here are some apps that you can now use, now that you are rooted.

what about bloatware you ask? well some of the apps are safe to delete. you can go here to see the list:xda-developers - View Single Post - [WIP] /system/app APK's - Safe to remove list and functions now this list is from froyo so some apps are missing from the list. if you are going to delete apps i would use titanium backup and freeze the apps first.

DO NOT USE ROM MANAGER it is very buggy and creates more issues then it is worth. i would do everything manually in recovery. also this is a good way to get to know your recovery. you never know when something happens and all you have is recovery. as long as you have a working recovery you can pretty much get out of any trouble.​

Recoveries
    So what is a recovery and why do i need one now that i am rooted? in recovery that is where the magic happens. it is where you will flash roms and make nandroid backups as well as restore them. it is basically a mini os. your phone basically consists of three parts. it consists of android(gingerbread), bootloader(hboot), and finally your recovery os.

roms and flashable .zip files use scripts to tell recovery how to install the file. there are basically two kinds of scripts used. one is amend and the other is edify. most roms and flashable zip files use amend scripting. the problem is that clockwork mod 3 and higher do not support amend scripting. only clockwork mod 2.6, amon ra 2.3 and teamwin's trwp has support for both amend and edify.

Switching Recoveries

speaking of recovery i would really recommend that everyone switch to amon ra 2.3. it is a much better recovery then clockwork mod. you can get the recovery here:PC36IMG RA 2.3.zip
    here are the instructions:
    1.download the file.
    2.rename the file by erasing the "_RA_2.3" part of the name so that it is only named PC36IMG. make sure not to add ".zip" to the name as windows hides extensions.
    3.transfer the file to the root (that means not in any folder) of the sd card.
    4.power off (you most likely need to uncheck fastboot. settings/apps/uncheck fastboot.) then press and hold power+vol down.
    5.hboot should see the file and select yes to update.
    6.select no to reboot because we want to go into recovery and make a nandroid backup.
    7.select recovery.
    8.select backup and restore and select backup
    9. select the first three and wimax. the other partitions do not need to be backed up. always keep one nandroid backup with wimax keys backed up on your computer.
    10.now you can reboot.
    11.using a file manager of some sort or even through your computer via usb, you should rename or delete the PC36IMG file on your card. otherwise you will be asked to update every time you go to the hboot screen. you do not need that file any more.

you can get older versions of clockwork mods and amon ra here:Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire.
    also there is a new recovery from teamwin :TeamWin Recovery Project (twrp) v1.0.3

Nandroids

what are nandroid backups and why are they important? well nandroid backups are a complete snapshot of the current state of your phone. it will save everything (contacts, apps and its data, emails and text messages, and any other mods or settings you have on your rom). think of nandroid backups as a safety net. if anything goes wrong or if you change your mind on a rom you do not like, you can always go back and restore a previous nandroid backup. just remember that anytime you make any changes to your phone always make a nandroid backup.

also to save space keep only a few nandroids on your card. nandroids can be pretty big depending on the rom and what you are backing up. and you can rename your nandroid backups. just make sure not to have spaces or weird symbols in the name.

when doing a nandroid backup in amon ra, make sure to keep the first three checked then check wimax (you do not need to do this all the time.) just keep one nandroid backup with your wimax keys backed up on your computer. the rest of the time when doing nandroid backups, you can just backup the first three in amon ra. also if you have your sd card partitioned (see the Partitioning and Moving Apps to the Card section for the how to's) you should select sd ext as well. this wiil also backup all your apps.

clockwork mod will backup wimax automatically.

one of the things you can do to help keep your nandroid backups organized is to rename them. but in order to do that you have to know where to find them. in amon ra recovery they are found in the nandroid folder that is created on the sd card. in clockwork mod they are found in the clockwork mod folder. for amon ra there is a sub folder that is phone specific. mine is named: HT0CVHL01139. inside this folder is your nandroid backup. it should look like:BDES-20120323-0530.

now to rename them, you can rename them to anything that you like, just do not use any weird symbols and do not use spaces within the name. for me i usually just rename them by deleting the BDES part and insert the name of the rom it belongs to. for instance CM7-20120323-0530 could be a name of one of my nandroid backups. also if you notice the numbers correspond to date and time.​

Flashing

this is all good, but how do i flash a rom or kernel?

good point so here is what you do to flash a rom:
    1.first you need the vr superwipe:
    ZZZVR_SUPERWIPE.zip
    download it and put it on your card. (optional)*
    2.download the rom of your choice and transfer it to your card.
    3.go into recovery
    4.make a nandroid backup
    5.select wipe from the main menu and wipe dalvik cache, cache, and data
    6.select install (or flash depending on which recovery you have) zip from sdcard
    7.find the superwipe file and flash it.(optional)
    8.find your rom and flash it.
    9.reboot.

first boot will take a bit longer then normal, so be patient.​

*the vr superwipe is an optional step, but i would recommend that you use it. it wipes system, cache, and boot. it wipes those three times. then it wipes the temp files and does that three times. i would not only use this tool to wipe. it should be done in addition to wiping data, dalvik cache and cache. one last thing about superwipe, this will only work with those that have support for amend scripting. only clockwork mod 2.6, amon ra 2.3, and trwp will work. so if you have clockwrok mod 3 and higher you might want to switch recoveries.​

to flash a kernel
    1.download the kernel and place it on your card.
    2.make a nandroid backup
    3.wipe dalvik cache and cache. there is no need to wipe data or to flash the superwipe when flashing kernels.
    4.select "install zip" and find and select your kernel
    5.reboot

now you have a new kernel. and to get the most of your new kernel look into getting SetCPU for Root Users, this app will allow you to over and underclcok your phone and it will allow you to set your cpu governors which sets how fast the cpu speed gets scaled up or down to the desired settings. some governors also has a screen off profile which can also help save battery life. for more on setcpu read this guide: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/210253-setcpu-guide.html

here is a great guide by fellow AF member argedion:
    http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/441044-flash-guide-us-all-d.html.

Roms, Kernels, Themes and More

Roms​
    ok so now you know how to flash a rom, so now where do i go to get them? there are a bunch of places that you can go to get your roms. there is a thread here in this forum ROMs and Kernels Download Page check it out. also check out the xda development forum:EVO 4G Android Development - xda-developers. make sure that you read the dev's op as it will tell you the download instructions as well as give you what is in the rom and some of its features. the main idea is to know what you are flashing before flashing the rom.

there are two main types of roms that are out there. there is aosp (android open source project)roms then there is sense roms. sense roms are the roms that most people are familiar with. it has the familiar sense launcher that htc installs on all of their phones. while aosp is pure android. it has no sense launcher. depending on the rom it will use a launcher like adw or launcher pro.​

Kernels
    what are kernels? basically kernels communicates with and adjusts the voltage between the hardware(battery) and software(either sense or aosp) of your phone according to frequency. how much voltage a kernel decides to provide to and from your phone and at what frequency will depend on the type of kernels.

all roms comes with its own custom(usually stock) kernel. they are like roms in that they come in two types. one is for sense roms and one is for aosp roms. they can't work on both. so like roms you need to checkout the changelog to see what is going on with kernels and what was updated. also gingerbread roms needs a kernel designed for gingerbread. the froyo kernels will not work on gingerbread.

one last thing on kernels and that is that not all kernels will react the same way on every phone. what works for me may not work for you. the only true way to know is to make a nandroid backup and flash the kernel. give it a few days for it to settle in before deciding if the kernel works or not.

you can get the kernels from the xda or the rom/kernel download page. you can read more on kernels in the KERNELS For Dummies

Themes
    ok so i want to theme my phone. are there themes i can flash? yes there are a lot of themes out there that you can just flash from recovery. head on over to EVO 4G Themes and Apps...xda. and don't forget to read the op for installation instructions. just keep in mind that most of the themes are rom specific. when you flash a theme all you need to do is wipe dalvik cache and cache and flash the theme.​

Partitioning and Moving Apps to the Card

the issue is that the evo has a small amount of ram on the phone. not sure what htc was thinking when designing the evo. but there is the apps2sd that can be sort of helpful. when you go to settings/applications/manage apps and then move the apps to the sd card, you are using apps2sd. it moves the apps to the sd card, but it only moves part of the app to the card. the other part is still left on the phone. that is why you can't use any widgets attached to the app when it is moved to the card.

so what is taking up all of the ram then? well your phone, as it is, has the dalvik cache which the phone uses to load any executable files that it needs. and then there is cache where your temp files are stored. of course there is your apps. and finally there is the stock rom with sense 1.0. so you can see how fast your ram will disappear.

the only way to get around this is to be rooted. the custom roms that are out now are much smaller and faster then the stock rom. plus you can partition your card and use a2sd which is different then apps2sd. a2sd moves the entire app to your card. the only thing left on your phone is a symbolic link that tells the phone where to find the app on your card. it saves a ton of ram by doing this. just to give you an idea i have 160 apps with still 250mb left!

there are two types of a2sd scripts. one is cm a2sd and the other is darktremor a2sd. usually if a rom has a2sd cooked in, it usually has cm a2sd. when you flash your rom your apps when restored with titanium backup will automatically be move to the sd card. with darktremor a2sd, you would first need a rom to have support for it, and then you need to flash darktremor into the rom. once flashed then you can manually push the apps to the card by using terminal emulator to enter the commands.

you will need a higher class card to do this, preferably a class 6 or higher. the higher class card is need especially if you use intensive apps like games and such. the reason is that since the apps are on the card the phone then needs to read and write on the card as the app runs. so if you have a slower card your apps will suffer.

Partition Your Card

it is recommended that you do this before trying to flash a rom.
    so here are the directions on how to do it:
    1.copy your content of the card to a computer because partitioning will wipe the card's content.
    2.go into recovery and select partition your sd card
    3.enter 32 for swap, and 1024 or 2048 for ext2, and do the rest for FAT
    4.select upgrade ext2 to ext3
    5.select usb-ms toggle and transfer your contents of your card on your computer back to the card.
    6.go to the main menu and do a full wipe (min data, dalvik cache and cache)
    7.flash the superwipe
    8.flash the rom of your choice.
    9.reboot

from now on it is recommended you wipe dalvik cache, cache, data and sd ext.before flashing roms. MAKE SURE THAT YOU DO NOT SELECT WIPE SD CARD as it will do just that. your card will be erased. also make sure that when making a nandroid backup to select sd ext to be backed up as well.​

How to Install Darktremors

1.download the file:Version 2.7.5.3 Beta 04
    2.transfer the file to the card.
    3.wipe dalvik cache and cache and flash the file and reboot
    4.getAndroid Terminal Emulator from the market
    5.type in the command su and enter. the superuser app will then give permission.
    6.then type a2sd reinstall. this will move your apps to the ext 3 of the card.
    7.the phone will then reboot
    8.type su again and enter
    9.type a2sd cachesd. this will move the dalvik cache to the ext3 on the card.
    10.the phone will reboot again.

if you want more commands for darktremor here is a list:Darktremor Apps2SD Command Line Help | Facebook
    here is the original thread: [Script][A2SD]Darktremor 2.7.5.3 Beta 04 [Evo] (01/29/2011) - xda-developers

Troubleshooting (thanx Rxpert83)
    This guide is brought to you by Rxpert83.

Troubleshooting your EVO

I'm attempting to make this guide in order to put all the information I've learned in my few months here into an easily accessible sort of guide that people can use to troubleshoot their phones in that panicked moment they have where something goes wrong. I've noticed that there are many common problems and most problems people are having can be grouped. This is going to be a living document and added to/edited as the community sees fit. This guide assumes you have already achieved root. For problems with the rooting process itself, view the appropriate rooting for dummies guide based on your H-Boot version.

This guide is not meant to be and end all be all guide to fix every problem. It is meant to give you a headstart on solving your issue before making a thread or while waiting for responses from members. This is for basic problems people are having and very well might not fix your specific problem. Thats why we have the forum..... Make a thread!

Flashing/Wiping:
    Most problems that people are having when trying to flash a ROM result from not properly wiping the device. To properly wipe you want to do a manual wipe and not rely on programs such as ROM manager. Reboot into recovery, select wipe, and wipe EVERYTHING except SD card 2-3 times. If you are in clockworkmod recovery(first off it is recommended to switch recoveries), make sure to wipe Dalvik Cache which is found under the advanced menu option. Follow this manual wipe by flashing Superwipe found here. Once superwipe completes, you are ready to flash your ROM. If issues persist, use Caulkins Format All as well

Activation
    If you are having problems activating your phone you need to make sure you are on a sense-based ROM. This problem typically arises when people buy their phone off of ebay or craigslist and find that their phone is already rooted and running cm7. Simply make a nandroid by rebooting into recovery and flash a sense-based ROM. Activate your phone and then restore your nandroid if you want to stay on cm7

Bootloops:
    Wiping:
    Bootloops are commonly caused by not flashing properly. If you are experiencing a bootloop make sure that you have properly wiped using the steps above in the flashing section. If you have, move on to the next steps

SetCPU:
    Bootloops may also be caused by having SetCPU set with a MAX that is more than your phone can handle. Always make sure to play with your phone with normal use before hitting the set on boot box. If you have recently installed or made changes to SetCPU make sure you haven't accidentally overclocked too much. Check out this thread for more information SETCPU bootloops

To get out of the bootloop:
    Pull the battery and insert it back in. Get to your bootloader screen by holding power and volume down. Go to recovery and wipe dalvik cache & cache. Reboot. If the bootloops continue move on.

Flashing the ROM on itself:
    Pull the battery and get back into recovery using the method above. Wipe only Dalvik Cache & Cache and flash the ROM overtop of itself. Reboot. If bootloops continue, move on

If your phone is still bootlooping, consider nandroiding back to a prior stable ROM or flashing another ROM.

If you cannot get into recovery:
    Recently there have been problems with people (who happen to be running cm7) getting stuck in a bootloop without the ability of getting into recovery to get out of it. If this happens, there may still be ways of getting your phone working, but it is going to require expertise that is currently above the knowledge of the author of this guide :) Make a thread and someone will be happy to try and help.

Force Closes:

Wiping:
    Once again, not properly wiping can cause force closes. First make sure you have followed the directions in the wiping area of this and many other guides. If you have properly wiped, move on.

Wipe Dalvik Cache & Cache:
    Reboot into recovery and wipe only dalvik cache & cache. Then reboot the phone. If force closes continue, move on.

Permissions Fix:
    If that doesn't fix the force close issues, run a permissions fix either from recovery or from ROM manager. To do it from recovery reboot into recovery and select "other", then "fix permissions" Upon Completion Reboot. If force closes continue, then move on.

Flash Rom Over Itself:
    Reboot into recovery. Wipe only Dalvik cache & cache and reflash the ROM over itself. Reboot. If force closes continue, move on.

If that still doesnt fix it, consider nandroiding back to a stable ROM, flashing a new one, or making a thread.

Slow/Laggy Performance:
    Laggyness on the phone can be the result of a few things. One of the easiest ways to fix a lot of peoples lag problems are just wiping Dalvik Cache & Cache in recovery and rebooting the phone.

If that doesn't fix your lag problems consider your setCPU settings. If your max is too low on the main SetCPU screen or the min is too low in a profile such as your screen off profile the phone will have a considerable amount of lag. Bump up your max and see if that fixes your problems.

Another thing to consider is internal memory. Many of the new Sense 3.5 ROMS are huge. If your not partitioned your phone can have lag as a result of running low on memory. The easiest way to fix this is to partition your SD card. Class 6 or higher recommended.

Kernel Problems:
    Make sure your using the right type of kernel. AOSP Roms require AOSP kernels and sense ROMS require sense kernels. Also, kernels that were made for Froyo wont work on gingerbread, and when ICS hits gingerbread kernels arent going to work for it either.

Make sure your flashing the right version of the kernel. Godmode and synergy versions are only for ROMS with godmode or synergy included. If you dont know what this means, you probably dont have either and you need the UNIVERSAL version.

Make sure your wiping Dalvik Cache & Cache before flashing a kernel. Wiping of data or anything else is not required.

For more information, check out Kernels for Dummies

Nandroids:
    Nandroids arent restoring
    First of all make sure your nandroid is compatible with your recovery. Nandroids made in clockwork recovery arent able to be restored in Amon Ra and vice versa. It is strongly recommended that everyone use the new Amon Ra style recovery that can restore both clockwork and amon ra nandroids. Information about it can be found here

If your nandroid is compatible with your recovery, its entirely possible that something went wrong in the backup or restore process. Try restoring it again, if that still doesn't work, then the nandroid is probably bad. This happens from time to time. This is why it is important to have a nandroid that you know works backed up somewhere safe.

Naming
    If you rename your nandroids to help you identify what is on them, the nandroids cannot have spaces or symbols in them.

Sd Card Issues
    Help! I erased my SD Card:
    This happens from time to time on the forum. Someone wipes their SD card and comes here for help. Unfortunately, theres not a whole lot that can be done about this. There are applications both on thr computer and for the phone that can attempt to recover deleted data, but they do not work 100% of the time. The most important thing if you've accidently wiped your SD card is to try and recover it quickly. If the system writes over the areas that you've deleted it becomes much harder to recover. An app to check out is Undelete, which is currently in beta and will attempt to recover your files.

A good way to prevent accidently deleting your SD card contents is to use the AmonRa Style Recovery listed here. It puts SD card wiping away from everything else so you ahve to go out of your way to actually do it.

SD card Errors:
    If your having problems with the phone being able to read the SD card, its a good idea to have your computer check it for errors. Place the SD card in a card reader and in a command prompt on your computer type chkdsk x: /f (thanks argedion;))

Another thing you can do is just reformat the card altogether.

No 4G
    Losing you 4G Wimax keys is a problem that can happen. This is why it is SO important to make sure you have a working nandroid with your wimax saved. Back it on your computer or on the cloud to ensure you will always have access to it.

Checking for your keys
    If you think you may have lost your Wimax keys there are apps out there that will check to see if you still have them. Check out Wimax Keys Checker in the market

If your keys are still present and 4G is still not working check to make sure your ROM has 4G working. Many of the sense 3.5 ROMS currently do not support 4G because they were ported from phones that werent on the Sprint network.

Finally, check to make sure you installed kernels correctly by wiping dalvik cache & cache before flashing them.

Unrooting:

Know which Method to use:
    Check your H-Boot.
    If you are 2.10 or below you need to follow the Rooting For Dummies Guide Unrooting Section

If you are 2.15-2.16 you need to follow the Rooting For Dummies Gingerbread Edition Guide Unrooting Section

I'm trying to get my stock recovery and ROM back but the Bootloader screen isnt recognizing the PC36IMG file:
    First off, are you sure you named the file correctly? It needs to be "PC36IMG.zip". Be careful that you dont have "PC36IMG.zip.zip" if windows hides your file extensions.

Is it on the root of your SD card? This means not in any subfolders. On the topmost layer of the SD card. Bootloader won't find it if its in a folder within your SD card.

If the two above conditions have been met, the bootloader screen should detect the PC36IMG file and load it. There is a problem with many people not getting an option to update. If that happens, you need to run the RUU.exe from your computer found here. Connect your phone to the computer via USB with debug mode on and run the executable.

If this guide didnt help solve your problems....... Make a thread!
    We are always happy to help!

When making a thread:
    Stay calm! The calmer you are the easier it is for us to understand you
    Use a descriptive title...... Ambiguous titles like "need help" make it really hard for other people with that problem to find the solution and for someone to find that thread to reference it at a later time.
    State your H-Boot
    State whether you have S-ON or OFF
    State what recovery you are using
    State what ROM you are using
    Finally........State your problem :D

Personally, I'd also rather have people start a new thread with an issue than tack theirs onto someone elses thread. I'm much more likely to see and read a new problem in a new thread than in a thread where we've already solved the OP's problem.​

Unrooting

yay! i have s-off but what if i need to get my phone serviced? or i hate all this rooting business and i want to go back to my boring gingerbread phone. how do i get s-on?

ok so i will start this thread by saying thanx to captain throwback, football, thefredelement.

so here goes.
    here are the files you will need:
    1. PC36IMG_HBOOT_6.17.zip

2.PC36IMG_SuperSonic_GB_Sprint_WWE_4.54.651.1_Radio_2.15.00.0808_NV_2.15_release_220182_signed.zip

step#1 install hex edited hboot
    there are two ways you can do the next step which is to flash the hex-edited hboot. you can do it either by android flasher or from the bootloader. either way is just as easy so i will let you decide which one to use. but here are the instructions for both:

option A: android flasher
    well with android flasher, you can flash radios, your splash screen, recovery as well as hboot. you will need to extract the .img file from the .zip file.

so here is what you will need to do:

1.download android flasher from here:
    AF Downloader

2.and extract it to someplace on your desktop where you can find it.

3.download the hboot 6.17 file.

4.extract the img.file and place it some where you will be able to find it.

5.run android flasher

6.go to the bootloader slot and select browse and then navigate to the hboot 6.17 img file you just extracted.

7.select it and make sure that you check off bootloader.

8.then at the very bottom select flash

option B:through the bootloader

1.download the hboot 6.17 file.

2.rename the file by deleting everything except for PC36IMG and do not add any zip to the name as windows hides extensions.

3.transfer the zip file to the root of the sd card that means not in any folder.

4.power off (make sure that fastboot is turned off) then press and hold power+vol down.

5.hboot should scan for it. select yes to update.

if for some reason you can't get s-on after flashing the hboot 6.17 file then
    here is the instructions:
    step#1 we need to first flash the radio 2.15.00.11.19
    EVO_Radio_2.15.00.11.19.zip
    1. download the radio file and move it to the sd card.

2. then boot into recovery (power+vol down).

3. select install from sdcard and select the radio file.

4.you will need to flash the s-on tool found here:
    unrevoked-forever-son.zip

5.move it to the sd card. (no need to rename it)
    6.go to recovery (power+vol down)
    7.select flash zip from sdcard then navigate and select the s-on file.

now you should have s-on, proceed to step #2 to get you back to stock

step#2 we need to get a stock rom and stock recovery

1.reboot your phone if not already and connect it to computer via usb cable.

2.delete the previous PC36IMG file from the sd card, if you used the bootloader method mentioned above.

3.rename the downloaded file (4.54)to PC36IMG. again make sure that you do not add a zip as windows hides extensions.

4.transfer the file over to the root of the sd card meaning not in any folder.

5.power off then press and hold power+vol down.

6.hboot should see the file and will ask you to update, select yes.

congrats you are now unrooted!:D

you can also use this ruu:RUU_SuperSonic_GB_Sprint_WWE_4.54.651.1 to get you the latest ota stock rom and stock recovery. just connect the phone via usb and run the exe file on your computer.

OTA's (Over the Air)
    Ok so we just had an update a few months back called gingerbread. and as many of you guys know it closed the previous exploit so that rooting was not possible until now. so what do we do when the next ota (if there is another ota)is released? DO NOT ACCEPT THE OTA. it could really make a mess out of your phone. or it could even unroot your phone and then you will have to wait again for a rooting process as the ota will most likely close the previous exploit. this also goes for any rooted phone regardless if it is an evo or not.

so how do we get updated then if we are rooted? well usually the devs will get a hold of the source code for the ota earlier then the actual release. so all we would have to do is flash a rom with the latest update ota and we are updated.

please read this:
    http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/486888-new-ota-4-67-651-3-out-do-not-accept.html

Links and Guides:

ok so heres my problem, ive done this whole process, i do have s-off i have created a nandroid backup but i do not have Super User, and clockwork doesnt work because of the lack of superuser so i dl'd the market superuser and it is not working so i have no rom to upload :( I WANT CM7!!!

not sure what you clockwork does not work? what happens? it must have worked as you made a nandroid.

try installing amon ra 2.3 as your recovery:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/259446-clockwork-amon-ra-pc36img-files.html

Reactions: superdj_23
    Upvote 0
    Reactions: ocnbrze
    Upvote 0
    ok so right now i have s-off with NO superuser permissions how do i just get CM7 on here and running?

1.download cm7 on to you card
    2.go into recovery
    3.make a nandroid backup
    4.wipe dalvik cache, cache, and data
    5.select install .zip from sdcard
    6.find cm7 and flash it
    7.reboot
    1st boot will always be the longest so be patient.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones