• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROOTING For Dummies Guide.....the Gingerbread Edition

Question on system updates now that I'm rooted. I know not to do the HTC software updates. I assume PRL updates are OK. What about firmware updates and profile updates?

firmware no, profile yes. never do a software update now that you are rooted. it could change your hboot and then you will be unrooted and with no way to re-root. the devs will come out the ota cooked into their roms at some point.

Upvote 0
ok lets try this backup your sd card on your computer. on your phone reformat it. it will erase everything. next lets do a factory reset on your phone. then lets try revolutionary again.

I have the same problem as HAMBO, getting the message about saving Caroline from doom and not writing at block 0x0000000.... I formatted the SD card and did a factory reset and I am still getting the error. Any other ideas?

Upvote 0
firmware no, profile yes. never do a software update now that you are rooted. it could change your hboot and then you will be unrooted and with no way to re-root. the devs will come out the ota cooked into their roms at some point.

LOL, and often times before the official OTA from sprint! ;)

I have the same problem as HAMBO, getting the message about saving Caroline from doom and not writing at block 0x0000000.... I formatted the SD card and did a factory reset and I am still getting the error. Any other ideas?

Was there any mention of "bad blocks" I remember way back when this came out, someone was having an issue because of bad blocks. There was no fix for that particular issue last I heard.

Upvote 0

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
9to5 brings up a good point. it could be your card. what size card do you have?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the welcome! I have an 8GB card. How would I be able to tell if the card is the issue?

trying to remember what the issue was and how to fix it. bad blocks is usually associated with either system partitions or the partitions on your card. not sure if it is your card or not. have you tried the clear storage option in hboot? and how did you format your card? was it through your phone? or the pc?

Upvote 0
Hi people,
for some reason windows doesn't recognize my device; installed latest HTC sync but in vain. Tried on different PCs, same problem!
I think i should change the usb cable, but for the time being is there any way that i can root the phone without using a computer?
i have a micro SD adapter, so can transfer any files from PC to the phone.
Thanks in advance.. ;)

Upvote 0
Hi people,
for some reason windows doesn't recognize my device; installed latest HTC sync but in vain. Tried on different PCs, same problem!
I think i should change the usb cable, but for the time being is there any way that i can root the phone without using a computer?
i have a micro SD adapter, so can transfer any files from PC to the phone.
Thanks in advance.. ;)

You need a pc to root at this time. Does you pc recognize your phone if you put it in disk drive mode? Did you make sure to install the drivers aside from installing HTC Sync? Is it the original usb cable or an aftermarket replacement?

Upvote 0
I just rooted my evo!!
Thanks to this great guide.

Before I rooted I did download the new 4.53.651.1 update.
and it worked.

Sorry I posted in the wrong thread.

It was suppose to be in the gingerbread Edition.

moved you to the right thread.
thanx and congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that is good to know that the latest ota did not close the exploit that revolutionary uses.

Upvote 0
moved you to the right thread.
thanx and congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that is good to know that the latest ota did not close the exploit that revolutionary uses.

OMG! I hadn't rooted yet or ever but wanted to try it on 2.3.3.
However, the latest patched OTA came out & I was afraid applying it would kill the exploit or worse brick the phone. Great to hear now but still brave of jo1020!

Upvote 0
Awsome I was really nervous about doing this but I'M ROOTED NOW!!!!!!!!!! can't wait to see what I can do now!!!!!!

Thanks,
Charles

Glad you got your root on. Two things to remember, first always make a nandroid backup before making any changes. Second, make sure you have plenty of battery before you start flashing anything.

Any other questions/issues, feel free to ask. We are here to help.

Reactions: chaz187
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones