Rooting for the first time, is a custom ROM needed or optional?

Last Updated:

1. Tomjh99

Tomjh99 Active Member This Topic's Starter

So I'm going to root my Sprint Hero tonight and I've spent most of the day researching help topics and threads on this forum. I believe I've found most answers, most importantly, a how to guide on XDAForums.com. My question still remains; will rooting improve the performance (speed) of my phone? Also, will I need to install a custom ROM, or is this optional? Lastly, what are the reasons some install ROMS after rooting? Thanks again for your patience. I know these answers can probably be found in what seems to be endless search results, but I was just hoping you guys could save me some time here. Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

-Rooting alone will not increase the performance or speed of your phone.
    -You don't have to install a custom ROM. You can remove the extra sprint stuff that you don't use from the stock ROM and keep running as is if you want.
    -Custom ROM's have extra goodies sometimes or have tweeks (like overclocking) that can be done to help the performance of the phone.

3. Joehunni

Joehunni Well-Known Member

You should try a stockish rom like Fresh or Nfinites + overclock. Custom roms may sound scary but it is much simpler to flash a custom rom than it is to root so just go for it.

4. godfatherrules

godfatherrules Member

Just remember that before you flash anything it's always a good idea to do a NAND backup before you flash. It's saved me more times than I can count.

I've used the Fresh roms from flipz for a long time though I'm currently running Aloysius. You'll find many options and they all have their positive aspects and their quirks. Have fun!