• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting for upgrade?

Hello everyone!

I'm thinking of buying an Optimus Black but as you know it comes with Froyo (2.2), so I'm thinking of upgrading to 2.3.

Do I have to root my phone in order to upgrade to 2.3? Because I've read on other forums/posts that rooting gives you the possibility to install custom Android versions (same thing as custom ROMs right?), but is it really necessary to root to make this update?

I've got a few things mixed up in my head about Android and if I wrote something that isn't true please correct me.

First: Rooting voids the warranty.
Second: While rooted you can delete something that might cause your system or system process to Force Close/crash. If the phone doesn't have a custom recovery available for it yet to allow you to make a backup to restore if your system/ROM fails, you might wait to root.
You can fix most all mistakes as long as you have a custom recovery with a backup created (nandroid backup) to fall back on.

Once rooted and with a custom recovery installing, a custom ROM is a piece of cake to install.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones