Rooting from a linux box

Last Updated:

1. cannibal

cannibal Member This Topic's Starter

Wahoo first post! I've had an account for a while but have been lurking and soaking up information. I'm going to root my phone (hopefully today) but I am running linux on all my PCs, and do not actually have a windows install. I wanted to ask if anyone knew if the ADB commands can just be run straight from a terminal window from my linux box, since it seems ADB is just a terminal emulator on windows to be able to talk to the phone. It seems like I'm missing something though, I would think ADB would do more than that but let me know if I'm in the wrong. I'd like to root my phone from my linux box but if i need to find a windows machine I could probably do it from work. I was trying to find some sort of tutorial for ADB on linux but could not find anything, even installed the SDK for linux and have access to ADB but am not sure how to get ADB to see my phone after going through the tutorials. I would not be surprised if I missed something as I can be a little dense at times :)

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
  2. cannibal

I guess I posted too early, I might have answered my own question. I searched developer.android and found Developing on a Device | Android Developers
    I'll include the except here in case it comes in handy for someone else running into the same problem...

under "setting up a device for development"

3. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Does this help? How-To Install Android SDK On Windows, Mac and Linux

Or is it that ADB seems to work but can't find your device? It might help if you do this as root on your Linux box. The simple command "su" should do that on most distros, but some distros like Ubuntu have "su" disabled, so if you do "sudo -s", you should get a similar result.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see you fixed your own problem. :)

4. cannibal

Yar, Thanks for the reply though! It's nice everyone around here is so willing to help. I'm just a dunce and didn't have my system setup correctly to have ADB recognize my device. Everything is working now, can't wait to see what a rooted droid is capable of!

5. glitch32

glitch32 Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that info Cannibal. I have access to Windows on one of my computers, but I really prefer not to go near it :)

6. cannibal

Yeah, I prefer to stay in my comfort zone ;)

I'm all rooted and happy-snappy now. By the way, I used Virtualbox on ubuntu to run RSD Lite 4.6 to put SPRecovery on my phone (2.1 OTA droid)

Downloading NexBeastv1 now and going to do a full backup before installing it. I don't know much about the rooted droid, but if you have any questions about how I got it going through linux just let me know :)

7. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

See!? It confuses me to see that someone can successfully flash an SBF file with RSD Lite in a virtual machine and half of our members can't do it with Windows running natively on their hardware.

8. glitch32

glitch32 Well-Known Member

Will do. I'm still reading all I can about rooting before I go through with it. I really just want to overclock my phone a little.

9. mojohn

mojohn New Member

I'm trying to push some apks to my rooted Backflip with the Linux SDK running on Ubuntu 10.04.

I can "ping" my phone with ./adb devices. I can mount the Backflip system folder using ./adb shell. I can even cd to the /system/app folder and see all the individual files using ls. However, when I try to push the apks (located in the SDK/tools folder) to system/app, I get a "permission denied". I've tried running the command in a root shell and, if I remember right, I get the same message.

I would much appreciate any help you all can provide.

mojohn

10. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Hm, you are doing su first, right?

Perhaps since the phone is actually on it is not allowing you full access to System - I think you'll need to mount /System as R/W first.