• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting from stock 2.2

Morning all :)

I am bored at work today so am going to be rooting my phone to Teppic's rooted stock ROM and I've got a couple of questions.

1. I already have a gold card but this is a separate 1gb card that I don't normally use in my phone. I am going to be formatting and creating partitions on my 4gb card that I use in my phone so would it be easier in the long run to make this into a GC too?

2. I am planning on using Unrevoked3 to install the new ROM...Is that right?

3. So to confirm I will be doing this, formatting SD card (maybe adding GC depending on 1) creating partition for APPS2SD, Downgrading from 2.2 to 2.1, using Unrevoked3 to install Teppic74's stock rooted ROM.

Have I missed anything?

Slightly nervous as first time but hacked all my old symbian phones and this seems easier so sure it will be fine. Just dont wanna brick my baby :D

Upvote 0
Morning all :)

1. I already have a gold card but this is a separate 1gb card that I don't normally use in my phone. I am going to be formatting and creating partitions on my 4gb card that I use in my phone so would it be easier in the long run to make this into a GC too?

2. I am planning on using Unrevoked3 to install the new ROM...Is that right?
If you plan to root your phone with Unrevoked3 you don't need a gold card.
3. So to confirm I will be doing this, formatting SD card (maybe adding GC depending on 1) creating partition for APPS2SD, Downgrading from 2.2 to 2.1, using Unrevoked3 to install Teppic74's stock rooted ROM.

Have I missed anything?

Slightly nervous as first time but hacked all my old symbian phones and this seems easier so sure it will be fine. Just dont wanna brick my baby :D
Why to downgrade?

Sorry, my mistake, i've read wrong...

Upvote 0
That's about it, yes.

It won't harm to make all of your sdcards into goldcards, just remember you have to do the entire process for each one.

You should use unrevoked3 to root and install custom recovery, and then use custom recovery to install the ROM. I'd advise you do a full wipe (factory reset) in recovery first.

Upvote 0
Right looks like I am getting there now. Managed to root it (I think) with Unrevoked3. Have installed ROM Manager from the market and am in the process of installing clockwork Mod Recovery.

I have put both the radio and new ROM (Teppic74) onto the SD card ready so I presume I can just flash it from there?

Also I have installed Titanium Backup but its saying something about not being rooted? Can't quite remember what it said and stuck in the Clockwork Mod install at the min. Can I use titanium backup with this ROM?

Upvote 0
You can install the rom and radio via custom recovery, you don't need rom manager.

If you're in custom recovery the root must have worked.

Ok will try that. Is ROM Manager a good app to use though? Seems to make things easier?

Figured out the Titanium backup problem. Needed to install BusyBox so just doing that now :)

Thanks for all your help on this Teppic, looking forward to trying your ROM shortly!

Upvote 0
Did you install recovery with rom manager? It may have messed it up. You should be using the one that unrevoked3 installs, version 2.5.0.7.

Yep, Im in Clockwork Mod Recovery Now and it says v 2.5.0.7

Looks ok to me

E:failed to seek in /cache/update.zip (Invalid Argument)

Just had a thought, might be me being slightly dim! Should I rename the zip file to update?

Upvote 0
Right installed the ROM & Radio and all looks ok. Had a worrying moment when it got stuck on a screen with a box with an arrow coming out of it to an android man but that went and then booted normally.

Think its working as now silent again but is there anyway to check?

In settings it says Baseband Version 32.44.00.32U_5.09.05.30_2

Edit: Ah so thats the Radio and the Software number matches the new version I installed too...Looks good to me!

Upvote 0
Am going to install the add on packs as soon as I get home.
Fhfgftgf
I am still getting an error about signatures on E: whenever I do something within clockwork mod? Was doing it when I first installed tjjjhe Rom but I disabled verification and it worked ok. Now tried to partition SD within Rom manager and its done it again.

Is there something I need to do?

Upvote 0
Just to update you it seems that it was ROM Manager that was causing the issues. When I boot into recovery normally it works perfectly. Uninstalled RM now.

Have installed your power mods, I presume I did it right, just added to SD card and installed via Clockwork recovery?

Will be a few beers coming your way Teppic, massive help!

Upvote 0
Yup - all the mods are installed the same way as the ROM itself. The powersaving mod does this:

When the screen is off, the CPU is fixed at 245MHz (lowest frequency)
When the screen is on, it'll go up to the maximum 1GHz, but drop to 245MHz when idle.
It'll generally use lower voltages, meaning it draws less power from the battery whatever it's doing.

Any beers always appreciated :)

Reactions: jay_kay
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones