• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rooting Galaxy S2 - Dummies Guide

hi guys, thanks again for your guidance on how to root sgs2 on ld3. i now have a sgs2 rooted with CF-Root-SGS2_XW_XSA_LP8-v5.4-CWM5 . i'm now ready to install differrent rom on it. the rom that i'm planning to install is Pure.ICS-v7.5. my question is , should i just go ahead and install that rom, or should i first install siyah kernel and then install rom itself? thanks.

p.s. off-course all the back ups were made

Upvote 0
hi guys, thanks again for your guidance on how to root sgs2 on ld3. i now have a sgs2 rooted with CF-Root-SGS2_XW_XSA_LP8-v5.4-CWM5 . i'm now ready to install differrent rom on it. the rom that i'm planning to install is Pure.ICS-v7.5. my question is , should i just go ahead and install that rom, or should i first install siyah kernel and then install rom itself? thanks.

p.s. off-course all the back ups were made

ROM then kernel as the ROM will contain its own kernel which would overwrite Siyah.

Reactions: sg2bg
Upvote 0
Hey Guys,
I've been searching around the internet for a bit, unwilling to post, but I've come across this forum a fair bit, especially Ironass' comments, and i reckon you'd be willing to help.
So i got a Galaxy S II today, it's the I9100T version (Vodaphone, Australia)
I've gotten to the point in the guide where i need to download the Root Kernel, but i can't find the right one.

My Kernel Version is:
2.6.35.7-I9100TDUKJ1-CL687461
root@DELL136 #2

I was under the Impression that i need to be looking for the Kernel that matches the "DUKJ1" part, but i can't find anything remotely similar.

Any help would be amazing, thanks
~Luke

Upvote 0
Hey Guys,
I've been searching around the internet for a bit, unwilling to post, but I've come across this forum a fair bit, especially Ironass' comments, and i reckon you'd be willing to help.
I've gotten to the point in the guide where i need to download the Root Kernel, but i can't find the right one.

My Kernel Version is:
root@DELL136 #2

I was under the Impression that i need to be looking for the Kernel that matches the "DUKJ1" part, but i can't find anything remotely similar.

~Luke

This may help:

[Q] How to root a Samsung Galaxy S2 (Vodafone Australia) - xda-developers

Upvote 0
Hey Guys,

My Kernel Version is:
root@DELL136 #2

~Luke

Welcome to the forum Lukish27 and thanks for joining.

Use one of the lux kj1 kernels in post number 7 of the cfroot thread on xda. Try the cwm5 one first as it has a more recent recovery.

Reactions: Lukish27
Upvote 0
Alright, so i've run into a bit of a problem
I downloaded the Lux KJ1 Kernel, but when i connected to my computer, Kies wanted to update my phone, i let it, but in the process it has changed my Kernel to:
3.0.15-I9100TDELPB-CL710191
dpi@DELL154 #3

so, using my own initiative :p i decided that i should get the
"CF-Root-SGS2_XX_OXX_LPB-v5.2-CWM5" Kernel from post #8 on the xda forum

but apparently it has "problems mounting secure storage"
sorry to be a pain, but could you explain exactly what that means and give me some more awesome advice?

Upvote 0
Alright, so i've run into a bit of a problem
I downloaded the Lux KJ1 Kernel, but when i connected to my computer, Kies wanted to update my phone, i let it, but in the process it has changed my Kernel to:
3.0.15-I9100TDELPB-CL710191
dpi@DELL154 #3

so, using my own initiative :p i decided that i should get the
"CF-Root-SGS2_XX_OXX_LPB-v5.2-CWM5" Kernel from post #8 on the xda forum

but apparently it has "problems mounting secure storage"
sorry to be a pain, but could you explain exactly what that means and give me some more awesome advice?

It basically means you will have trouble installing some apps from Google play. There is a solution to the problem however. Follow this guide on how to remove the yellow triangle and you should be fine
xda-developers - View Single Post - [06.07.2012][CF-Root 5.5] K/EFGHIJKLP*, LA*, LP-126BHJQ73SC89DEFWGKIQ - su+bb+CWM4/5

Reactions: Lukish27
Upvote 0
hi everyone, and once again thanks for all the help. i'm now rooted an happily running PURE ICS rom v7.5, which i love. and now i found JKAY framework that will allow me to customize my APEX louncher. so i bought an app from google play , downloaded framework itself and ready to install. but instructions on xda on how to install it say thaT I have to "DOWNLOAD A RECOVERY FILE FOR YOUR PHONE" ?!!! does it mean i have to do a nandroid backup? i've read all possible QA about it and couldn't find an answer. could you please clear it out for me, or may be post a link where i can read on it. thanks

Upvote 0
hi everyone, and once again thanks for all the help. i'm now rooted an happily running PURE ICS rom v7.5, which i love. and now i found JKAY framework that will allow me to customize my APEX louncher. so i bought an app from google play , downloaded framework itself and ready to install. but instructions on xda on how to install it say thaT I have to "DOWNLOAD A RECOVERY FILE FOR YOUR PHONE" ?!!! does it mean i have to do a nandroid backup? i've read all possible QA about it and couldn't find an answer. could you please clear it out for me, or may be post a link where i can read on it. thanks

You're in the wrong thread mate! This is all about rooting your phone.

You need the JKay thread, here.

In short... the restore .zip file is a JKay file that will restore your framework back to the way it was.

Reactions: sg2bg
Upvote 0
Hi everyone,

I've hit a brick wall. About a month ago, I successfully rooted my phone using the instructions provided here on chromefans website.

Anyway, everything was running smoothly until tonight. My battery nearly went flat, I inserted the charger cable and after 20 mins I noticed my phone was turned off. I went to restart my phone, and it got stuck on the opening screen with the exclamation sign. So I removed the battery, restarted the phone, same thing. Tried another fully charged battery, same thing. It wouldn't continue past the start-up screen. So, I'm now at the stage where I'm trying to re-flash my already rooted phone, however ODIN3 v1.83 isn't helping. In fact, I'm getting the following:
<ID:0/052> Added!!
<ID:0/052> Odin v.3 engine (ID:52)..
<ID:0/052> File analysis..
<ID:0/052> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/052> Initialzation..
<ID:0/052> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/052> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/052> zImage

On my SGS2, it displays:
ODIN MODE
Product Name: GT-I9100
Custom Binary Download: Yes (2 Counts)
Current Binary: Custom

The TAR file is the following:
CF-Root-SGS2_XW_XEN_LP7-v5.4-CWM5.tar

Any ideas how to re-flash my SGS2 and get it back to working function?

Thank you

Upvote 0
. About a month ago, I successfully rooted my phone using the instructions provided here on chromefans website.

Just checked that method out and it is the notorious, "One-Click", method of rooting that has caused more problems on here than it has solved.

I would suggest flashing a stock ICS, Android 4.0.3, firmware, such as LPG using Odin and the instructions under, "My firmware is not eligible for ICS yet but I want it now!", in post #1, here.

After flashing you will need to re-root again using the instructions in posts #1 and #2 in this thread.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones