• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rooting Galaxy S2 - Dummies Guide

Nice read understand nothing thx for trying to help will give up on instaling roms i think dont want to brick my phone

Wise move! You were trying to flash an alpha test ROM which even I, as an experienced flasher, would not use as a daily ROM.

Maybe try this one...

[ROM][5.1.1][I9100] CyanogenMod 12.1 [06/17]

... as the dev, Lysergic Acid, knows his stuff. The key to flashing ROM's is to read, read, read and read some more!

TOP TIP: Always make sure that any ROM is compatible with your exact model of Galaxy S2... there's a few them...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S_II

ironass motto... "Flash in haste... repent at leisure!" ;)

Upvote 0
Wise move! You were trying to flash an alpha test ROM which even I, as an experienced flasher, would not use as a daily ROM.

Maybe try this one...

[ROM][5.1.1][I9100] CyanogenMod 12.1 [06/17]

... as the dev, Lysergic Acid, knows his stuff. The key to flashing ROM's is to read, read, read and read some more!

TOP TIP: Always make sure that any ROM is compatible with your exact model of Galaxy S2... there's a few them...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S_II

ironass motto... "Flash in haste... repent at leisure!" ;)
Iust tried that one too same result must be something wrong with my CWM or kernel i not got a clue :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi guys,

Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 on 3 UK
PDA: I9100XWLSW
PHONE: I9100NELS1
CSC: I9100H3GLS5

BUILD INFO: Thu May 16 09:42:01 KST 2013
Just tried flashing my I9100 with cm-12.1-20150505-UNOFFICIAL-i9100, following the guide at
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/galaxy-s2-...via-unofficial-cm12-1-rom-how-install-1499734 after rooting with this guide and Siyah-s2-v6.0b5.

Have tried several times to flash it but always get
-- Installing: sdcard/cm-12.1-20150505-UNOFFICIAL-i9100.zip
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Warning: no file contextsdetected fiesystem ext4 for /dev/block/mmcblk0p9
mount: failed to mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p9 at /
system: Device or resource busy
detected filesystem ext4 for /dev/block/mmcblk0p9
ApplyParsedPerms: lsetfilecon of /system/lost+found to u:eek:bject_r:system_file:s0 failed: Operation not supported on transport endpoint
E:Error in /sdcard/cm-12.1-20150505-UNOFFICIAL-i9100.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

I've checked and most sites say (Status 7) is caused by an assert error in updater-script, so I removed that line which originally contained
assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "galaxys2" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "galaxys2" || getprop("ro.product.device") == "i9100" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "i9100" || getprop("ro.product.device") == "GT-I9100" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "GT-I9100" || getprop("ro.product.device") == "GT-I9100M" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "GT-I9100M" || getprop("ro.product.device") == "GT-I9100P" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "GT-I9100P" || getprop("ro.product.device") == "GT-I9100T" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "GT-I9100T" || getprop("ro.product.device") == "SC-02C" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "SC-02C" || abort("This package is for device: galaxys2,i9100,GT-I9100,GT-I9100M,GT-I9100P,GT-I9100T,SC-02C; this device is " + getprop("ro.product.device") + "."););

and still get the above error. Will try to restore the backup made after rooting.

Does anyone know what the issue is and what can be done to fix it?

P.S.
Restore mostly worked except for the apps on my sdcard say they are not installed, how do I get them back (apart from reinstalling them)?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi guys,

Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 on 3 UK
PDA: I9100XWLSW
PHONE: I9100NELS1
CSC: I9100H3GLS5

BUILD INFO: Thu May 16 09:42:01 KST 2013
Just tried flashing my I9100 with cm-12.1-20150505-UNOFFICIAL-i9100, following the guide at
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/galaxy-s2-...via-unofficial-cm12-1-rom-how-install-1499734 after rooting with this guide and Siyah-s2-v6.0b5.

Have tried several times to flash it but always get

I've checked and most sites say (Status 7) is caused by an assert error in updater-script, so I removed that line which originally contained

and still get the above error. Will try to restore the backup made after rooting.

Does anyone know what the issue is and what can be done to fix it?
I had that trouble to, i installed a later version of clockworkmod recovery and installed the rom cm12.1 with pico gapps phone installed everything ok than I used the links the guy who helped me

Upvote 0
bash.gif
well, I tried several times with cm-12.1-20150617-UNOFFICIAL-i9100, each time I had the same errors as before, failed at 99% then 93%.

Anybody have any other ideas? The silly voices announcing the screen number all the time and (to a lesser degree) the camera noise are getting irritating.

Upvote 0
bash.gif
well, I tried several times with cm-12.1-20150617-UNOFFICIAL-i9100, each time I had the same errors as before, failed at 99% then 93%.

Anybody have any other ideas? The silly voices announcing the screen number all the time and (to a lesser degree) the camera noise are getting irritating.

Lysergic Acid has ceased support for the time being on the unofficial build. See post #1, here.

He is now concentrating on the Official CyanogenMod CM-12.1 builds.

[ROM][I9100][5.1.1][OFFICIAL] CyanogenMod 12.1 Nightly Builds

These are Nightly builds and are for competent and proficient users.

Upvote 0
Thanks ironass, I am competent and proficient, just sadly not in matters android lol

I'm going to try I9100_4.4.4_AOSP_NeatROM_v8.0st just to see what happens, if that produces the same error I'll try again with the Cyanogen on a new sd card and see what happens.

ll else fails I guess I'll stick with what i have and just use a new launcher and camera, but I like to "fiddle" and learn so maybe i won't :)

Upvote 0
Good question, I have the cwm installed with Siyah-s2-v6.0b5 and twrp 7.5.1.3.

Thanks for the link, I'll add that to my folder ready for when I give it a go :)

NEAT ROM v8.

NeatROM_v8.0st installed perfectly but installing gapps is proving problematic, even pa_gapps-modular-micro-4.4.4-20140629-signed says it is out of space.

Once my phones charged again I'll redo it and see what happens.

Well I tried a new sd card and installed cm-12.1-20150617-UNOFFICIAL-i9100 and BaNkS-dynamic-gapps-5.x.x-7-17-15, all went great!

Only issue I have now is that I can't access the play store (the screen goes white for a second then goes back to where I was) or install any apps.

Trying gapps-5.1.x-20150404-minimal-edition-signed. That fixed it, all working, just some nightly updates to go :)

May go back to kitkat when I'm done playing tho.

Only issue is that according to root checker i don't have root.

What a pain in the.....

For some unknown reason developer options are hidden from users unless you know to tap 5 times on the build number (what? why?) and root access is disabled by default (which defeats the purpose of using the mod!) AND usb debugging is called Android Debug Bridge interface.

Any more hoops that need jumping through for no reason?

Well its been nearly a week and I love the "new" phone, going to stick with CyanogenMod :)

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last update 04 JUL 2015

This is a step-by-step guide for absolute beginners. Please read posts #1, #2 and #3 carefully and thoroughly as they will take you through the rooting procedure and answer your queries. Particularly post #3 as this has, "Tips for using this Dummies Guide".

This guide is for rooting the Samsung Galaxy S2, GT-i9100, GT-i9100M, GT-i9100T & GT-i9100P only and no other variant.***

If you are unsure of the model of your phone, go to Settings > About phone > Model number

(*** The Dummies Guide can also be used to root the, "GT-i9100G", on Gingerbread, (only), providing you use the root kernels mentioned in post #2, here)

#1.1. What is rooting?

Rooting gives you, "Superuser", access to your phone and its features. It allows the installation of the latest custom ROM's, kernels, modems, applications and features that are not available to un-rooted phones. All this process does is to replace the stock kernel, that comes with your phone, with a root kernel and does not affect any data stored on the phone. For more information on the advantages of rooting, see here.

#1.2. Is it difficult

That really depends on your ability to read and follow instructions. I would strongly suggest that you read all the links published here, carefully and thoroughly, to help you understand the process before attempting to root your phone. The actual, "flashing", process, post #2, takes about 30 seconds, however, the set-up for this is longer and can be done in advance.

With, currently, over 150,000 views and over 600 posts, we have not lost a man, (or woman), yet!

#1.3. What hardware do I need?

Galaxy S2 GT-i9100/G/M/P/T phone

USB lead that came with the phone.

A Windows PC running, XP, Vista or Windows 7

USB Jig. Although not needed to root your phone some people find it a useful tool for getting rid of the yellow warning triangle at boot-up, (personally I do not bother and it may not work on newer bootloaders), and for resetting your flash counter to potentially avoid voiding your phone's warranty if you flash back to your original firmware in case you need to take it to a service centre. See here.

#1.4. What software do I need?

7-Zip (or similar... WinRAR or WinZip) to extract the .zip files on your PC. Download, here.

Odin. This is the PC programme that will install the rooted kernel to your phone. Unzip the file and run Odin. Download, here.

Samsung Kies. This is a PC Suite for the Galaxy S2. Dowload and install to your PC as you will require the drivers that come bundled with it, to connect your phone to the PC and Odin3.

Download for Windows, here.

When you have downloaded and installed Kies, connect your phone via the USB lead to ensure that it is working. If you encounter any problems connecting your phone to Kies, see this trouble shooting guide, here.

#1.5. The Root Kernel

Kernel. Your choice of Root kernel depends on the Android Version you are running.

Settings > About phone > Android version to determine which firmware you have.

Now, depending on your firmware version, you can download one of the following 3 kernels to root your phone.

(all the following kernels have the, "brick bug", fix where needed)

#1.6. Android Version 2.3.?, Gingerbread

This relies on matching the current kernel you have installed to a CF-Root kernel. To determine your current kernel...

Settings > About phone > Kernel version (make a note of this in case of problems)

Once you have ascertained which kernel version you are currently running you will need to go here.

Search posts #3, #4, #5, #6, #7 and #8 for a CF-Root kernel that comes closest to matching your current kernel, i.e. KG1, KF3, KI1, KK5, LPQ, LPS, etc:

For instance, if you are currently using 2.6.35.7-I9100JPKJ2-CL655700root@DELL143 #2 use CF-Root-SGS2_XW_XEF_ KJ2 -v5.0-CWM5.zip. If there is not a kernel which matches the letters and numbers in bold just go one number up from yours.

Extraction for .zip kernel files only.

Download the .zip file to your desktop and unzip it, (To extract the file, just right click on it and select 7-Zip/WinRAR/Winzip and, "Extract here". This extracted file is the one you will need.). This is the .tar file that contains the kernel that will root your phone. To avoid confusion you can now delete the original .zip file that it came with.

#1.7. Android Version 4.0.?, IceCream Sandwich

Download the Siyah v5.0.1 .TAR kernel file and flash via Odin as follows in post #2.

#1.8. Android Version 4.1.2, Jelly Bean.

Download the Siyah v6.0beta5 .TAR kernel file and flash via Odin as follows in post #2.)

Continued in next post...

ironass motto... "Flash in haste... repent at leisure"
#2.0. Rooting procedure

Just to recap. You should by now have installed Samsung Kies and Odin on your PC and be able to connect via your USB lead. Also, you have the correct .tar file on your home screen.

Important Now is a good time to make a note of your phone's, "Version" in case you ever need to revert back from rooting. To do this, open the dial pad and type in the following:- *#1234#

This will give you 4 lines of information about your phones firmware and CSC code, etc: You should make a careful note of all this information and keep it somewhere safe.

Now you can watch this video so that you know what to expect.

#2.1. Step 1.

Ensure that your phone is fully charged.

On your phone, go to... Settings > Applications > Developement > USB debugging and check the box.

(On ICS/JB ROM's.. Settings > Developer options > USB debugging and check the box)

Put your phone into Download mode by turning it off completely and then press and hold the following buttons... Volume Down + Home (centre hard key) + (lastly) Power. Continue to hold these buttons until your phone boots into the Warning! screen asking you to press volume up if you want to continue or volume down to cancel. Press Volume Up. See video, here.

#2.2. Step 2.

Right click on Odin and select, "Run as Administrator", to open it. Ensure that the Samsung Kies programme is not running at the same time as this can cause problems

With Odin displayed on your PC screen, click on the PDA button, (a.k.a. AP on later versions of Odin), and navigate to the .tar file, that you placed on your home screen, and select it.

Make sure that Re-Partition is unchecked and that Auto Reboot, F.Reset Time and PDA are checked and that the PDA box, (a.k.a. AP on later versions of Odin), now contains your .tar file.

#2.3. Step 3.

Connect your phone, still in Download mode, to the PC using the USB lead. If you have successfully connected to Odin you should see the ID:COM box in Odin turn yellow or light blue, (depending on which version of Odin you are using).

#2.4. Step 4.

In Odin click the Start button and you should see a green progress bar above ID:COM and shortly after that the box above it will turn green with the word PASS! in it and your phone will automatically reboot.

#2.5. Should you encounter any problems with booting automatically at this stage, put your phone into Recovery mode by turning it off completely and then press and hold the following buttons... Volume Up + Home (centre hard key) + (lastly) Power. Continue to hold these buttons until your phone boots into the Recovery screen. See video. Then select, "wipe cache partition", and under, "Advanced", "wipe dalvik cache", and then, "Go back", and select, "reboot system now". Your phone should now boot up.

Congratulations! You have just rooted your Samsung Galaxy S2.

You can now disconnect from the USB lead and check your App drawer where you will find 2 extra app's have been added. These are...

CWM

Superuser

If you are unsure whether your phone is now rooted you can install Root Checker Basic, free from the Market, and run it.

***I now strongly urge you, for your own protection, to make the following backup's in case of future problems... A Titanium Backup. A Nandroid backup. An "efs", file backup. See items, ***, below for details.

#2.6. Removing the Yellow Warning Triangle at Boot-up

Because you have now installed CF-Root kernel you will notice a yellow warning triangle appear briefly when booting up your phone. Personally, this does not bother me and experienced modders tend to treat this as a badge of honour that declares their phone is rooted and capable of more than the stock version.

However, if you wish to remove the yellow triangle you can do so by either purchasing the Jig mentioned in the first post, (this may not work on newer bootloaders, see, here), or by following the instructions here.

If you are running Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean, Android 4., firmware, you can download, "Triangle Away" from the Play Store to remove the Yellow Warning Triangle.

#2.7. I'm rooted... now what?

Now that you are rooted you can start thinking about installing custom ROM's, kernels and modems as well as, "freezing", some of the, "bloatware" that comes with your phone.

A good place to start is here, Samsung Galaxy S2 - All Things Root Guide

Recovery and Download Modes. Here are two videos, mentioned previously, showing how to get into Recovery Mode and Download Mode. These are two states that modders constantly refer to and it will pay you to familiarise yourself with their operation.

A popular Gingerbread ROM to install at the moment is CheckROM RevoHD v6.

Some popular Ice Cream Sandwich ROM's are:-

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-s2-international-all-things-root/554062-neat-rom.html

AndyX ROM

Jelly Bean... Jelly Bean NEAT ROM Android 4.1.2.

KitKat... NEAT ROM KITKAT SLIM ANDROID 4.4.4

KitKat... AOSP NeatROM for Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 Android 4.4.4

Popular kernels at present are Siyah....

Siyah Gingerbread kernel - A Dummies Guide

Siyah ICS/JB kernel - A Dummies Guide

and Dorimanx ICS/JB. See here:-

Dorimanx kernel ICS/JB - Dummies Guide

To change or upgrade your phone's modem, see, "Modem installation - A Dummies Guide"

To remove, "Bloatware", and improve the performance of your phone and battery life, see, here.

To improve your Battery life, see here.

How to make nandroid and Titanium back-up's and restore, see, here.

***(I strongly urge you to make a nandroid and Titanium backups after rooting and save them on your external SD card)

#2.8. What App's should I install

There are a number of app's that you can install from the Market to aid and enhance your modding experience now that you are rooted.

Titanium Backup, (a must for modders), and Pro key.

ES File Explorer.

*** (I strongly advise installing this app after rooting and using it to navigate to the, "/efs", file in the root directory of the phone and making a copy of this and putting it on both your external SD card and PC as its loss or corruption in future could render your phone unusable and require a Samsung repair) Also, free from the Play Store, is GSII Repair, which will backup/restore your efs folder.

Android System Info.

BetterBatteryStats.

CPU Spy.

BusyBox.

#2.9. WARNING

Rooting your phone could, in theory, void your warranty. See under USB Jig in first post. Also, you will no longer be able to update your phone via Kies or OTA, (Over The Air), and will need to flash ROM's via Odin or CWM Recovery... which is probably why you rooted anyway!

Whilst I have taken every care in compiling this guide, I cannot be held responsible for any damage that may occur through its use and the decision to use this guide lies with you, the owner.

Thanks

My thanks go to the following for their help and contributions to this guide:-

Josh at MobileTech Videos. Feel free to make a donation if he has helped you.

Chainfire for the kernels and original instructions. Feel free to make a donation to Chainfire at the bottom of his first post so that he may continue the good work.

Hawker whose brains and posts I have shamelessly rummaged.

Slug whose tolerance, forbearance and guidance have made this guide possible.

To all the Android Forum posters whose posts I have plundered in an attempt to organise a definitive guide.

ironass motto... "Flash in haste... repent at leisure"

Upvote 0
I'm new to this game so forgive me if I've got it wrong or I'm in the wrong area. I've just sucessfully rooted my Galaxy S2 and on the advise given done a Titanium backup and copied the /efs folder. I want to make a Nandroid backup so in preparation for this went into CWM from the list of phone apps and got the following message from the CWM Manager "This version of CWM Manager should be used with CF-Root v5.0 or newer. It appears you are running a different kernel. Various features have been disabled."
Is this because I haven't accessed CWM correctly ?

Upvote 0
I'm new to this game so forgive me if I've got it wrong or I'm in the wrong area. I've just sucessfully rooted my Galaxy S2 and on the advise given done a Titanium backup and copied the /efs folder. I want to make a Nandroid backup so in preparation for this went into CWM from the list of phone apps and got the following message from the CWM Manager "This version of CWM Manager should be used with CF-Root v5.0 or newer. It appears you are running a different kernel. Various features have been disabled."
Is this because I haven't accessed CWM correctly ?

Did you use the rooting instructions in posts #1, #2 and #3?

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones