• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rooting Galaxy S2 - Dummies Guide

any advice for what i should do now?

Well done webby62! :)

In answer to your question, there's a section in post #2 of this thread, entitled, "I'm rooted... now what?", which gives you some suggestions on what you can now do. You might also want to take a look at, "What app's should I install?, in the same post as well.

Thanks for this guide. I used last night to root my SGS2 without any problems. Is there a 'dummys' guide for reverting back to a stock ROM? I suppose it's just a case of repeating with a stock kernel, rom etc...? Is there a link to download the stock stuff?

Congratulations Tiddy! :)

Have a look at the, "All Things Root", sticky at the top of the forum. This will give you links to official, stock, firmware.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
I rooted but now I reverted back. I downloaded a unbranded firmware XWLA4 but it started up in German. Can someone just point me to the UK English file I need please. Thanks in advance

Go to...

Einstellungen > Sprache und Tastatur > Sprache auswahlen > English (United Kingdom)... or any of the variations of English that suit you > Select

This will select the English language for your phone.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
In order to root my phone I have installed Kies. I understand from the tutorials that Kies has to be disabled when rooting.
When I connect my phone via USB to the PC it says on the phone:
" Connected. Press the home key to quit Samsung Kies"
And I see the phone in my PC.
But when I press the homebutton, I loose the connection with my PC.
Is this a bug?

Upvote 0
Hello and welcome to Android Forums khun wim! :)

That is OK. It means that you have the required drivers installed to connect your phone to your PC.

You do not have the Kies programme running when you are using Odin but you are using the drivers installed with Kies.

You can double check your connection by loading Odin and connecting your phone via USB, as described in step #2, and if you have a successful connection , you will see the ID-COM box turn yellow as shown in the video at 6.00 minutes in.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Thank you both for your quick reply, very helpfull and reassuring.
I followed the instructions by the letter but first checked the USB connection as suggested. Indeed the ID-com box turned yellow and the message said: connected. So USB drivers are installed and working.
I want to download CF-Root-SGS2_CE_XEN_KI2-v4.2-CWM4 since the kernel is: 2.6.35.7-I9100DXKI2-CL564948
I open ODIN, Put phone in bootmode (works), click PDA and load the CF file, works.
Than I connect the usb cable, nothing happens. Than I click the START button in ODIN and nothing happens, no activity, no reboot. It looks like the phone does not connect in the bootmode.
Have you heard this before, any idea?

Upvote 0
I assume you have indeed installed Samsung kies? This installs the USB drivers required for your PC to see your gs2. You say it turned yellow etc. but I just want to know for sure that you have.

also check that you have USB debugging mode ticked in settings, applications, development.

Also insure you don't have kies open before launching Odin.

Upvote 0
Hi,
I have minor problem after upgrade my SG2 to Android 4.03 via Odin.
After I rooted it and check the counter showing 1 and I use the USB Jig to clean the counter, but nothing happen. Still showing the counter there.
Also when it connected to Kies, it showing this message on Kies :
"Your device does not support software upgrading via Kies".

It didn't happen on the lowest operating system. (Rooted )

Is there anyone having the same problem ?
How to fix it ?

My SG2 run ok.

Kernel version : 3.0.15-I9100XXLPQ-CL223505
se.infra@SEP-94#3

Baseband : I9100XXLPQ

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I assume you have indeed installed Samsung kies? This installs the USB drivers required for your PC to see your gs2. You say it turned yellow etc. but I just want to know for sure that you have.

also check that you have USB debugging mode ticked in settings, applications, development.

Also insure you don't have kies open before launching Odin.

What I have done:
  • I have installed Kies on my laptop. Checked if drivers were loaded, yes indeed, since I can connect my I9000 to my laptop.
  • I check to make certain:
    • Start up Odin
    • Connect I9000
    • Yellow in Odin with message: ID:0/009>added
    • Disconnect. Message: ID:0/009>removed
  • I disconnect the I9000 by demounting if from the laptop
  • I make certain that KIES is not running on the laptop nor on the I9000
  • USB debugging is switched on
  • I load CF-Root-SGS2_CE_XEN_KI2-v4.2-CWM4 into ODIN
  • I switch off the I9000 and put it in ROOT mode
  • Connect via USB to Laptop
Observation: Nothing happens. No yellow, no sound from my laptop that a new connection is made, no dismountbutton, silence.

My conclusion: The I9000 does not connect via USB to my laptop in ROOT mode.

Any idea what could be the problem and what I could do to connect?
Help is very much welcome

Upvote 0
I have Samsung KIES vs. 2.2.0.12014_18 installed on my laptop.
I have the I9000 connected in USB debug mode on and off
in the usb debug mode on it loads more drivers than in off-mode
Normal USB connection (not in root mode) with USB debug on are the following observations:
  • From KIES I get the message: reconnect the device in Samsung Kies (PC studio) mode. Current connection mode not supported by Kies.
  • I start the troubleshoot connection errror function in Kies. Kies reinstalls the drivers but I still get the same message.
  • I cannot see the device with explorer
  • The dismount function is available
  • I hear the connect and disconnect tone
  • When dismounting I get the message: it is now safe to remove the Samsung device
When I connect in the non-usb debugging mode the following occurs:
  • The device is connected to the laptop. I can see the phone and its folders
  • On the I9000 I have the message: Connected. Press home key to quit Samsung Kies.
  • When I press the home key the connection is gone.
  • When I redo the above, than in the Kies application I get the message: connecting but after a long while I get the message: cannot connect the device, please disconnect then reconnect the device. This does not help.
I do not have any conclusion nor any clue. Somebody has??:thinking:

Upvote 0
What I have done:
  • I have installed Kies on my laptop. Checked if drivers were loaded, yes indeed, since I can connect my I9000 to my laptop.
  • I check to make certain:
    • Start up Odin
    • Connect I9000
    • Yellow in Odin with message: ID:0/009>added
    • Disconnect. Message: ID:0/009>removed
  • I disconnect the I9000 by demounting if from the laptop
  • I make certain that KIES is not running on the laptop nor on the I9000
  • USB debugging is switched on
  • I load CF-Root-SGS2_CE_XEN_KI2-v4.2-CWM4 into ODIN
  • I switch off the I9000 and put it in ROOT mode
  • Connect via USB to Laptop
Observation: Nothing happens. No yellow, no sound from my laptop that a new connection is made, no dismountbutton, silence.

My conclusion: The I9000 does not connect via USB to my laptop in ROOT mode.

Any idea what could be the problem and what I could do to connect?
Help is very much welcome

It seems that you could connect to Odin3 v1.85 earlier as the ID COM was turning yellow!

Did you extract the CF-Root file, (just the once), after downloading it?

It should show up in the PDA box of Odin3 as ending in, ".tar".

Upvote 0
Firstly, I'm not sure what you mean when you say I switch off the I9000 and put it in ROOT mode. I assume you mean DOWNLOAD mode? Perhaps you've buggered up here, and are putting it in UPLOAD mode instead? Need to clarify.

I'm not 100% convinced your following the correct procedure judging by what you have stated. Follow these steps religiously:

1. Download the required cf-root file. This will be in .ZIP format.
2. Open the downloaded ZIP and extract the .TAR file from it.
3. Switch off phone and reboot your phone to download mode. VOL-DOWN+HOME+POWER
4. You should see a warning asking you to press volume up if you want to continue or volume down to cancel. Press volume up.
5. Start Odin .
6. Click on the PDA button and browse to the .TAR extracted in step (2)
7. Connect the USB cable and wait for the ID:COM section to turn yellow
8. Click start to flash.
9. Do not disconnect the cable or turn off the device, it will reboot when it finishes.

Reactions: ironass
Upvote 0
Firstly, I'm not sure what you mean when you say I switch off the I9000 and put it in ROOT mode. I assume you mean DOWNLOAD mode? Perhaps you've buggered up here, and are putting it in UPLOAD mode instead? Need to clarify.

I'm not 100% convinced your following the correct procedure judging by what you have stated. Follow these steps religiously:

1. Download the required cf-root file. This will be in .ZIP format.
2. Open the downloaded ZIP and extract the .TAR file from it.
3. Switch off phone and reboot your phone to download mode. VOL-DOWN+HOME+POWER
4. You should see a warning asking you to press volume up if you want to continue or volume down to cancel. Press volume up.
5. Start Odin .
6. Click on the PDA button and browse to the .TAR extracted in step (2)
7. Connect the USB cable and wait for the ID:COM section to turn yellow
8. Click start to flash.
9. Do not disconnect the cable or turn off the device, it will reboot when it finishes.

Hawker, sorry for using the wrong word, indeed it is the download mode I meant.
What I noticed in the procedure above is : Press volume up.
I had not seen this before but it makes sense ofcourse. I did not press this one but waited. Now I did and it started to load drivers, became yellow, I loaded this file: CF-Root-SGS2_CE_XEN_KI2-v4.2-CWM4.tar
and after a while I got: pass!!
So I assume the phone is now rooted and am I going to search for the kernel I want to load.

Thanks all for the patience and the support, great form and great team.

Upvote 0
Glad you got it all sorted khun wim! :)

I am sure that it cannot be easy to follow such instructions in a language that is not your first one.

I have updated the, "Dummies Guide", with a couple of things to try and prevent this happening again... (actually, I copied and pasted a bit of Hawker's post ;) ).

I suggest reading, very thoroughly, the rest of post #2 to give you some ideas on how to proceed.

Reactions: khun wim
Upvote 0
I reread the thread, nice and comprehensive piece of work.
Reason I got into this is that due to an accident my phone needed a new motherboard. I bought it in the netherlands, sim free, and had it repaired in Thailand by Samsung Services, where I live. But now I have only asean languages and english, no Dutch swipe, etc. So I need to replace the kernel.
Following your suggested link if found the XWKK2/XXKI4 kernel with XEN CSC (netherlands) version 2.3.6.
Currently I have: Kernel version: 2.6.35.7-I9100CEKI2-CL586309.
I plan to download the XEN CSC, following your procedures. Will this do the job or do you refer me to another forum?

Upvote 0
I reread the thread, nice and comprehensive piece of work.
Reason I got into this is that due to an accident my phone needed a new motherboard. I bought it in the netherlands, sim free, and had it repaired in Thailand by Samsung Services, where I live. But now I have only asean languages and english, no Dutch swipe, etc. So I need to replace the kernel.
Following your suggested link if found the XWKK2/XXKI4 kernel with XEN CSC (netherlands) version 2.3.6.
Currently I have: Kernel version: 2.6.35.7-I9100CEKI2-CL586309.
I plan to download the XEN CSC, following your procedures. Will this do the job or do you refer me to another forum?

Do you need both the Asian and Dutch language packs or just the Dutch?

If it is just the Dutch language pack, (I'm not sure about the Asian language pack), then you could always flash CheckROM v6, see here:-

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-s2-...0-checkrom-v6-dummies-guide-installation.html

Reactions: khun wim
Upvote 0
Will you please provide link of this CF because it's not available at xda.
CF-Root-SGS2_XW_XEF_ KJ2 -v5.0-CWM5.zip

have a question though hope i will get good response and please sorry for my poor english.

1.will i be able to save games on external 32gb sd card after rooting?

2.can i play games online after rooting?

3.will i be able to browse play store after rooting to get some apps?

4.can i restore my all settings like contact numbers, messages etc etc through KIES.

is this guide necessary? actually the guide is very big and i'm having some difficulty to understand.
My GS2 Kernel Cleaning Scripts

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones