• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rooting Galaxy S2 - Dummies Guide

I got it from other site

is this one is fine?

cf.jpg

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Finally rooted my S2 and installed CheckROM V6, everything went smooth but can't get apps from google play to my S2.. any solution?

If i want to install another ROM then all i have to do is wipe data and install ROM from sd card?

Congratulations SherazS2! :)

As for Google Play... try going to Settings > Applications > Manage applications > All > Google Play Store > Clear data and Clear cache.... and see if that helps.

Reactions: SherazS2
Upvote 0
I have SGS2 GT-I9100P branded orange UK (with NFC). Will I be able to use these steps and files to root & flash CheckROM v6?

My Kernel version is 2.6.35.7-I9100PBVKI3-CL608158root@DELL82 #2

As per your explanation, this is KI3, so below file should work for rooting?

CF-Root-SGS2_XX_OXA_KI3-42-v4.2-CWM4.zip (of course I'll be careful to unzip once and only once :))

I keep on seeing people mentioning that these steps/files will only work for GT-I9100, and mine shows GT-I9100P, so am a bit worried before using these.

I've moved from Desire to SGS2, and this is the first time I am attempting to root, so please bear with me.

Upvote 0
I have SGS2 GT-I9100P branded orange UK (with NFC). Will I be able to use these steps and files to root & flash CheckROM v6?

My Kernel version is 2.6.35.7-I9100PBVKI3-CL608158root@DELL82 #2

As per your explanation, this is KI3, so below file should work for rooting?

CF-Root-SGS2_XX_OXA_KI3-42-v4.2-CWM4.zip (of course I'll be careful to unzip once and only once :))

I keep on seeing people mentioning that these steps/files will only work for GT-I9100, and mine shows GT-I9100P, so am a bit worried before using these.

I've moved from Desire to SGS2, and this is the first time I am attempting to root, so please bear with me.

To be honest kaushal101, the, "P", variant had not been released when I originally compiled the, "Rooting for Dummies Guide", but since the NFC is a firmware item, (be careful if you are installing firmware's), and not a kernel thing... then I cannot see any reason why you cannot root using the kernel you mention and this guide.

Edit

Have amended post #1 to include the, "P", variant.

Reactions: kaushal101
Upvote 0
To be honest kaushal101, the, "P", variant had not been released when I originally compiled the, "Rooting for Dummies Guide", but since the NFC is a firmware item, (be careful if you are installing firmware's), and not a kernel thing... then I cannot see any reason why you cannot root using the kernel you mention and this guide.

Edit

Have amended post #1 to include the, "P", variant.

Kernels and firmwares for the international will work on the P. There however have been reports that flashing firmware for the international has resulted in the loss of nfc. Kernels don't seem to have that problem so you should be able to root with the guide.

To be honest, I thought I was getting a hang of this with kernel and ROM. And now this firmware has confused me.

Kernel = layer of software that decides how phone's software will talk to the hardware. Kernel can be flashed using Odin.

ROM = operating system software of the phone. It can be flashed using CWM

I read more about firmware. What I understand is, firmware is slightly different from kernel & ROM, but it's not a combination of these two. Am I right? Firmware also can be flashed using Odin.

For example, there is new ICS firmware available here

So, what's the difference between flashing a kernel & ROM to flashing firmware?

At one point, someone also said that flashing firmware doesn't need you to be rooted? That's even more confusing, isn't it?

Upvote 0
Everything is going smooth tested lots of ROMS but there is one thing that's bothering me hard to explain because of my poor english but still i have to ask.

why the hell that CWM gone after flashing roms 3 or 4 times ? it goes back to stock recovery programme and i can't install any other rom using stock recovery programme which is called ANDROID RECOVERY.

I have found a solution all i do is root my S2 again using Odin and then that CWM comes back but that's annoying.

Upvote 0
Rooted my girlfriend's sgs2 last night, and my own a couple of months ago both times using this guide.

Congratulations Chorozonix! :)

Please feel free to mention my name to your girlfriend... in case she has a sister! ;)

It truly is flawless and I can't imagine how anyone could mess it up via this guide, thanks so much!

Just read back on some of the previous posts on this thread! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones