rooting gnex/nexus phones

1. Stigy

Stigy Some say... VIP Member

Found this over on MoDaCo forums -- they have obtained temporary root on the Galaxy Nexus: 03 Nov r1: Superboot - rooting the Galaxy Nexus - Android @ MoDaCo

Advertisement
    :
  2. chaseacej

chaseacej Member

"The superboot image is also 'insecure', allowing you to use 'adb remount' as well as having full ADB root access to your device until such time as you reboot after running this process (it's a non permanent ADB root as it's a 'fastboot boot' and not a 'fastboot flash')."

Does this mean we have to apply the superboot everytime we restart the device say after a battery pull?
  3. Stigy

That is what I wasn't sure about.

I put temporary in the post, just waiting on someone to get back to me to clarify. Unless someone that has used Superboot on another Nexus device can inform us.
  4. shawn218

shawn218 Well-Known Member

so this seems simple enough
    03 Nov r1: Superboot - rooting the Galaxy Nexus - Android @ MoDaCo

but i was under the assumption that the phone came rooted already? so you cant flash roms or overclock it unless you follow the steps in the link above?

also, it says if you bought it from a carrier, you would have to "'./fastboot-windows oem unlock". where are you doing that and how? is it an adb thing? i know nothing about it

thanks, i know its noob questions
  5. Stigy

shawn218 likes this.
  6. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja VIP Member

i bet most of us will not be doing anything with this phone until we learn more about the features of ICS

it seems as though the phone may be just perfect out of the box(for the time being)

i will root it obviously to save some game data, and other stuff, but as far as overclocking? and roming/themes?
    overclocking i wont do, the DX doesnt need it, why should the GNex
    Roms/Themes eventually down the road, myself and bouchigo will be getting some themes ready, im sure some will be seeing bwc on here, and rogue cell.
    2010 ZR1 likes this.
  7. shawn218

shawn218 Well-Known Member

isnt abd a "special program" though, lol. thanks though buddy. so an idiot like me is capable of doing this alone?
  8. Stigy

Nope ADB is 'Android Debug Bridge' and is provided by Google.

Android Debug Bridge | Android Developers
  9. VoidedSaint

im moving this thread to the all things root section since thats what it has to deal with

if you feel this move is in error, please report this post and state the move was in error and needs to be moved back to general discussion
  10. Stigy

If you want, you can just merge it with the one I started there -- its about the same root method.
  11. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Might I say how pleased I am to see this section starting to get active!
  12. Stigy

You might say! :D
  13. VoidedSaint

threads merged
  14. 2010 ZR1

2010 ZR1 Well-Known Member

So how would one obtain permanent root? ADB -> fastboot oem unlock then run the superboot program?
  15. random155

random155 Well-Known Member

Im sure ICS will be nice, but my main reason for rooting, along with many others, is wireless tether.