Rooting Help Needed

Last Updated:

1. jmcshurley

jmcshurley New Member This Topic's Starter

I am attempting to root my samsung moment, the issue i am having is that every time i connected to my computer in download mode the computer will not see the moment. I have tried 3 different computers and i just dont understand why.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. Greavous

Greavous Well-Known Member

make sure "debugging mode" is off. Settings/Applications/Development

3. EmoTonyB

EmoTonyB Well-Known Member

did you DL the sprint drivers...? tho it should be plug and play...

4. dntesinfrno

dntesinfrno Well-Known Member

Download usbdeview (View any installed/connected USB device on your system)
    Remove any and all drivers associated with samsung or android

Check your add/remove programs for any samsung driver packages and remove if necessary.

Install the samsung updater tool (Sprint Software Downloads - Smartphones - Samsung Moment with Google) this will include the latest non-debugging mode drivers for the moment.

Apply this patch to allow flashing of non-official .tar files (Samsung Updater Patch: Revert to the old one)

Now just run the updater as you normally would placing whatever it is you are trying to flash (.tar only) in the /program files/samsung electronics/swupdate/models/binary folder and follow the on-screen instructions exactly.

Note: As far as i know download mode doesn't require the debugging drivers, i know this because i used it just fine before i had them ;). This will come into play after you flash custom roms as *most* of them turn on usb debugging when they are installed.

Edit: I also recall using a usb micro cable that i had laying around (not the one included with the phone) and it would charge the phone but wouldnt recognize the phone for data, try using a different usb cable. I has seen other people with this issue as well.

If none of these steps work in fixing your problem i would take the phone to a sprint store and have them look at it, you usb jack may be defective :(.

5. jmcshurley

jmcshurley New Member This Topic's Starter

ll the info, i will be testing all this out tomorrow. :)

6. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator