1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

Rooting Help????

1. Rolty123

Rolty123 New Member

Hi Guys,

Can anyone please help me, i am new to the Android market. I have got a Sony Z1 (moving from Iphone 5)

I had my Iphone jailbroken, and i have been looking into rooting my Z1 but i do not have any past experience or any information on this.

Can anyone recommend any guides to doing this? Also when it comes to getting rooted apps such as games, is there a market for these like there Cydia?

sorry if this is a noob question.

Also sorry if this is posted in wrong area of the forum,

Thanks for you help

Advertisement
  2. PaulS

PaulS Well-Known Member

There's plenty of links around,

How to root the Sony Xperia Z1 | SEMC Blog - Sony SmartPhones

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Sony+Z1+root&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&gws_rd=cr&ei=An7aUo2-JZOI7Abu14CgCQ

Before rooting learn how to make a,"Nandroid" backup.This means backing up your present Android rom-O/S.In my case I use CWM(Clock Work Mod).The zip file MUST be kept on the SD card of the device.
    Also worth reading up and,"Unbricking" your device and saving a few bookmarks you find just-in-case and of course backup all user data.

HTH :)
    El Presidente likes this.
  3. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog VIP Member

I went on ahead and moved this to the z1 forums. Good luck with your endeavor.

For apps you should always stick to the legitimate sources like the Play Store. Doing so is the best way to prevent problems arising from questionable download sites.
    El Presidente likes this.
  4. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

The process is relatively straightforward, but there are only certain firmware versions that are rootable. If you head to Settings -> About Phone -> Build Number, that needs .518 or .534 at the end. Anything else and you'll need to downgrade via an application called flashtool before you can attempt to root.

I'll reiterate what Argedion says, there is virtually no need to use anywhere other than Play or the Amazon App store to install apps.