• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting HTC Desire with official Gingerbread

Jon_LTD

Android Expert
Sep 6, 2011
Uk
As the weekend is coming up, I'm itching to dedicate my time to getting my phone rooted :D! However I fear my fundamental flaw will prevent me. As I've stated previously, I rather foolishly updated to 2.3.3 via the official route.
Is there any method of rooting this yet? With a lovely step by step guide? I was linked to Revolutionary -- However, I feel a little intimidated by this as it isn't as well established as previous methods as well as it being a little bit too "pro" for me. Or is this my only choice?:thinking:

Again, I apologise if a thread about this has been made, but I couldn't find one in the opening pages.

Apologies if I've inadvertently created two threads of the same nature. I'll make sure I head to that thread to continue this topic if I need to.

Wish me luck!

How did this go Jon? I have a Desire 8181 on official Gingerbread 2.3.3. Hboot version is 1.02.0001

Now that it is late October (2011) are there any new options out there for rooting the above Desire?

Looking for other thread.....

Thanks all,
Muzz

Upvote 0
Fastboot a custom recovery (I use amon ra as
my sd card isent compatible with clockwork
mod), use ANDROID FLASHER which you will
find in SUROOT ( the person above my post) in
his signature on rooting it is a subsection, ignore
the adb bit and go to fastboot.
Once you have flashed a custom recovery, go
into it (hold volume down and power on phone
and when the options come up select
RECOVERY), now at this point if you havent
copied a ROM to your sd card then you need to
do that first, if your rom is on there choose
'install zip from sdcard and select the one you
want.
In order for all this to work your phone must be
S-OFF , which is done using the tool off
revolutionary.io
Hope that helps, im now running gingervillain
this way

Upvote 0
How did this go Jon? I have a Desire 8181 on official Gingerbread 2.3.3. Hboot version is 1.02.0001

Now that it is late October (2011) are there any new options out there for rooting the above Desire?

Looking for other thread.....

Thanks all,
Muzz

Hi Muzz,

I followed the guides and watched the videos provided on the unlockr.com and did it with no problems (apart from being thrown on using the track pad ad opposed to the power button in recovery).

I'd recommend revolutionary.io for flashing a recovery image and gaining S-off for anyone (not that you have much choice). I'm using Clockwork 2.5.0.7 (recommended) which I flashed using the tools mentioned in SUroots sig and a little help from Rastaman and Shauny too (thanks guys!).

The only problem I encountered was avoidable as I researched it in individual steps and didn't look at the bigger picture. Its so simple when you understand how and read the guides and FAQs available here as they are the Rooting Bible's. And the guys here are spot on for help. Any issues on the way just post with as much detail as possible and I'm sure you'll be pointed in the right direction.

Have fun!

Reactions: muzzman
Upvote 0
Thanks for the above Jon and I will on to it this weekend. Fingers and toes crossed.
What Rom have you tested / settled on?
Did you partition the sd card?

Leaving it for a clear weekend is definitely a wise decision as it will give you plenty of time as you don't want to rush anything!

I've only used the following roms:

Cyanogen Mod 7 -- Which I liked quite a lot but felt it just wan't anything mind blowing. Very stable and user friendly too. A lot of work gone into it but it just didn't blow my mind.

Teppic74's Gingerbread Sense ROM was my 2nd choice. I went back to Sense for familiarity and it supported Apps2SD+ by flashing a separate script. But by this time I figured that I rooted and I could actually break away from Sense which was just getting a bit boring for me.

I'm now on Redux 1.2 which I think is a very good rom. It supports apps2sd+ and app dalvik cache can be sent to SD too, so plenty of room. I installed a modest amount of apps and still had approx 90 mb free. It's streamlined, slick and very stable. I love it

These are the only roms I've played with, however it is all down to personal choice. Trial & error and research which each rom to tick all of your boxes.

I partitioned my SD Card using VMWare and Gparted. I used SURoots guide for approx 90% but I couldn't seem to get it to work for me. After learning the program I just did it in a more long winded way (partitioning the ext3 and FAT32 separately as opposed at the same time) and it seemed to do the trick.

As I said in my previous post, the guys here are super for help (and I try where I can :D), and the guides and FAQs are second-to-none.

Have fun this weekend. You'll be more or less getting yourself a new phone!:)

Upvote 0
Leaving it for a clear weekend is definitely a wise decision as it will give you plenty of time as you don't want to rush anything!

I've only used the following roms:

Cyanogen Mod 7 -- Which I liked quite a lot but felt it just wan't anything mind blowing. Very stable and user friendly too. A lot of work gone into it but it just didn't blow my mind.

Teppic74's Gingerbread Sense ROM was my 2nd choice. I went back to Sense for familiarity and it supported Apps2SD+ by flashing a separate script. But by this time I figured that I rooted and I could actually break away from Sense which was just getting a bit boring for me.

I'm now on Redux 1.2 which I think is a very good rom. It supports apps2sd+ and app dalvik cache can be sent to SD too, so plenty of room. I installed a modest amount of apps and still had approx 90 mb free. It's streamlined, slick and very stable. I love it

These are the only roms I've played with, however it is all down to personal choice. Trial & error and research which each rom to tick all of your boxes.

I partitioned my SD Card using VMWare and Gparted. I used SURoots guide for approx 90% but I couldn't seem to get it to work for me. After learning the program I just did it in a more long winded way (partitioning the ext3 and FAT32 separately as opposed at the same time) and it seemed to do the trick.

As I said in my previous post, the guys here are super for help (and I try where I can :D), and the guides and FAQs are second-to-none.

Have fun this weekend. You'll be more or less getting yourself a new phone!:)

At last I got on to this. I used Revolutionary and their outline and videos were excellent. How To Gain S-Off, Flash a Custom Recovery, and Root Your Android Phone Using the Revolutionary Method | TheUnlockr

The whole process went very well. Only a couple of things tripped me up slightly. The first was when I got into Clockworkmod Recovery and didn't realise at this stage you had to use the trackball for navigation. The next was when the SD card menu did not come up on the PC. This was solved by selecting mount USB. Apart from that it was all very smooth with a little help with the items above from the Revolutionary IRC channel.

I went right through to installing Cyanogenmod7.
As you say, Cyanogenmod looks pretty standard, though the main thing for me is to get more internal memory which I seem to now have. (I have not partitioned the card).

Now I am going to research a few other issues:
eg How to get CM7 to access Google contacts (from what I can see, there is another app which needs to be flashed to make this work).

Also trying to work out best way to get apps back on - whether this can be done from my "MyBackupPro" which I will need to reinstall somehow.
I assume if I can find the apk's I can install from SD card? It seems I cannot reinstall direct from the market from what has happened so far. (These comments are not for you to solve - just letting you know how it went. ).

Thanks for your earlier assistance.

Muzz

Upvote 0
muzz,
I appreciate you are only trying to help but we keep people here to using our guides
like the below
http://androidforums.com/desire-all...-revolutionary-s-off-rooting.html#post3412220
which happens to cover this quite nicely

the reason behind this is that we know exactly what someone has followed and whether they have missed a step or not.
also our guides are maintained constantly and hold accurate and up to date information

I dont like supporting other peoples work only our own.

Upvote 0
muzz,
I appreciate you are only trying to help but we keep people here to using our guides
like the below
http://androidforums.com/desire-all...-revolutionary-s-off-rooting.html#post3412220
which happens to cover this quite nicely

the reason behind this is that we know exactly what someone has followed and whether they have missed a step or not.
also our guides are maintained constantly and hold accurate and up to date information

I dont like supporting other peoples work only our own.

This really confuses me. The guides and information on this site were helpful, however I'm sorry but he instructions I noted were just clearer for me to use. Are you saying this cannot be shared on this forum?? I guess you always have the choice as to who you support.

Upvote 0
This really confuses me. The guides and information on this site were helpful, however I'm sorry but he instructions I noted were just clearer for me to use. Are you saying this cannot be shared on this forum?? I guess you always have the choice as to who you support.
im not saying they cannot be shared but the guide is pretty much the same as our own.
what im saying is many people come here for support after using "theunlkrs" guides because they dont get support from that site.
most of those guides are written and just left

the users then come here going "ive used the guide to root and flash my device".
we assume its ours until about 20 posts later it turns out theyve used one from the unlkr which has bits of vital info missing or is specific to a certain model of desire.

we always advise to use our guides as they comprehensive. yes there is more to read on our guides but they are designed so that the failure rate is much smaller as it covers all eventualities while also educating the user on what they are doing.

just because something is simpler it doesnt mean its right.

too many people root devices or brick devices without even knowing how theyve done it

Reactions: muzzman and SUroot
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones