Rooting HTC Eris

Last Updated:

1. jkohrt

jkohrt New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello, I am fairly new at this, I have been here when I first got my HTC Droid Eris a few moths ago but have returned due to the "Root" having been started. I came back to this forum to ask just exactly how do I "root" my HTC Eris?

Advertisement
  2. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Welcome to Android Forums!! Thank you for registering. :)

I'll send this question to the eris root forum.

3. Leftyguy

Leftyguy Well-Known Member

Hi - Welcome to the Android forums - Cheers ;)

4. PhillySteve

PhillySteve Active Member

5. shaggylouie

shaggylouie Well-Known Member

6. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

jkohrt,

Yes, welcome! You've got some good rooting options available to you now.

Please take a look through the various "sticky" threads in the http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root section here just to get a feel for what you might be getting into ;).

There's several ways to root, but I'll point you to the top three:

1. http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/127861-universal-eris-root-dummies.html - this thread by erisuser1 is very detailed, thorough and guides you along with screenshots; lots of folks have used it very successfully; this method allows you to root without having to use your PC or MAC

2. http://androidforums.com/eris-all-t...is-app-apk-no-pcs-no-scripts-needed-easy.html - this thread by jcase is very quick and easy, but details are a little sparse, but its your easiest route

3. http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/125436-detailed-leak-root-tutorial.html - this thread by surgeon0214 / alprazolam walks you through rooting via the Android SDK; this is a good method if you are comfortable with the Windows Command Prompt and want to know about each step in detail (you'll learn a lot by doing this)

Each of the above three methods use the very same root exploit (thanks to wag3slav3 over at XDA). So, you can read through the threads to get an idea about what is involved and what the next steps are.

Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions.

7. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

Take a look at the two "Sticky posts" at the top of this forum (that your post got moved to) :

Those two threads are:

http://androidforums.com/eris-all-t...is-app-apk-no-pcs-no-scripts-needed-easy.html

and

http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/127861-universal-eris-root-dummies.html

You can root with either of those two threads. Note that the method used in these threads do not delete your current bootable OS, or even change it: they both install a custom recovery boot that allows you 100% flexibility in making those changes afterwards.

Make sure you charge your phone battery well and perform a Nandroid backup as the very first thing you do after getting the "custom recovery" (also referred to as "Amon_RA") installed onto the phone.

Good Luck

eu1

8. shaggylouie

Listen to scary alien and erisuser1. These guys are extremely helpful. You're lucky to be in such a good forum. You'll be glad you have an Eris. Enjoy root!

9. PhillySteve

PhillySteve Active Member

Yeah I was close to ditching my Eris until I discovered this. Now I plan on using it until 1 qtr 2011(hopefully)..

10. shaggylouie

Ha! I felt the exact same way. I hope to make it to the 3 qtr of 2011. Man, phones are getting ridiculous. Imagine what the future holds...

11. MOG_22

MOG_22 Member

In regards to the nand backup that is recommended, where are the backup files stored? And if I do multiple nand backups are each backup files saved separately? I'm trying to determine whether I can restore from multiple points.

12. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

/sdcard/nandroid/HXXXXXXXX/

The "XXXX" part varies - it's the serial number of your phone.

Each backup is placed in a new folder, named with the UTC timestamp, in the format:

BDS-YYYYMMDD-HHMM (regular Nand backup)
    BDES-YYYYMMDD-HHMM (Nand+ext backup)

So, as long as it takes more than one minute to make a Nand backup (it does), every one of them will be stored in a new folder.

It is a very good idea to rename these folders ASAP. Don't use any crazy characters, or put spaces in the folder name. Use letters, digits, underscores, dashes, and dots only.

For instance, if I created one right now it might be

BDS-20100825-1905

I will rename it to

BDS-TazzCM6_V8-20100825-1905

so that later on when I come back to the folder that has all my Nandroid backups in it, It will be completely obvious what type of ROM it is, and exactly when I made the backup.

eu1

MOG_22 likes this.
  13. TriRoid

TriRoid New Member

I could not wait for Verizon to do anything so I rooted and installed 2.2 - used KaoFroyo 39 - Only issue I have is now I no longer have a camera. Anyone have any ideas?

14. nomarsgirl

nomarsgirl Well-Known Member

Kaos had a tendency to leave things a bit unfinished in his ROMS. I would recommend one of the Gingerbread ROMs. I have personally used GSB and CSCM 7. You can't go wrong with either of those. CS posts here regularly, so you may want to try his ROM since he is around to answer questions.

http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/318705-condemned-cm7-26.html#post3011320

scotty85, TriRoid and scary alien like this.
  15. TriRoid

TriRoid New Member

16. nomarsgirl

nomarsgirl Well-Known Member

None. The GB ROMs run better than froyo on the Eris.