• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting HTC Incredible ADR6300

muttleytm

Oct 19, 2012
I picked up a used Verizon Droid Incredible a few months ago. I think the time has come for me to root it. The three biggest reasons are:

• I have plenty of available internal and external memory, but, my phone memory is pretty much used up and this messes up calendar synching among other things. I would like to root so I can increase the size of the phone memory partition
  • To make more room to install applications
  • I would like to get rid of some bundled apps like Facebook and change some configuration files to get rid of it saying Droid when booting up.

I have looked at the sticky [HOW TO](gaining root)unlock,downgrade,and achieve s-off with htcDev. I see that it says: -it does technically void "all or parts of your warranty." please be well aware of this.
-htcdev only unlocks boot,recovery and system. it is NOT a full unlock,or s-off,by any means.
-it does NOT allow the boot partition to be written from recovery. kernels must be flashed as PB31IMG files,or using the "fastboot flash" command. i.e.,flashing roms and restoring nandroids is much more of a PITA
-due to being s-on,you cannot change radios,hboots,or go backwards in firmware versions. I'm not sure what that means. Does it mean I can't change the size of the phone memory partition?

I also see there is a free program called SRSRoot which says it can do this with one click. I run Linux and often use command line programs, but, if I get the same results with SRSRoot as I would using the steps in [HOW TO](gaining root)unlock,downgrade,and achieve s-off with htcDev I'd rather take the easy way simply because I have a lot of other things on my plate right now.

Would anyone care to answer my questions or care to comment on the pros and cons of one way versus the other?

Thanks

The only way to root the incredible is the guide you mentioned. No other method will work.

If you follow the guide all the way through, it will completely nand unlock the phone. Which will allow you to flash anything you want. If you only follow the first part of it, you will be subject to the restrictions you posted.

There is a fix for rooted users who want to stop the "low on space" messages. There is a link to it in the "root guide".

Before rooting just make sure you read through the directions a few times. Get all the files and be organized and you won't have a problem :)

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
I picked up a used Verizon Droid Incredible a few months ago. I think the time has come for me to root it. The three biggest reasons are:

• I have plenty of available internal and external memory, but, my phone memory is pretty much used up and this messes up calendar synching among other things. I would like to root so I can increase the size of the phone memory partition
  • To make more room to install applications
  • I would like to get rid of some bundled apps like Facebook and change some configuration files to get rid of it saying Droid when booting up.

I have looked at the sticky [HOW TO](gaining root)unlock,downgrade,and achieve s-off with htcDev. I see that it says: -it does technically void "all or parts of your warranty." please be well aware of this.
-htcdev only unlocks boot,recovery and system. it is NOT a full unlock,or s-off,by any means.
-it does NOT allow the boot partition to be written from recovery. kernels must be flashed as PB31IMG files,or using the "fastboot flash" command. i.e.,flashing roms and restoring nandroids is much more of a PITA
-due to being s-on,you cannot change radios,hboots,or go backwards in firmware versions. I'm not sure what that means. Does it mean I can't change the size of the phone memory partition?
thaT IS correct. staying s on and using htcdev unlock allows only access to boot/system/recovery and there are plenty of restrictions that dont let you mod things like radios or partition sizes. sounds like you will need to obtain s off

I also see there is a free program called SRSRoot which says it can do this with one click. I run Linux and often use command line programs, but, if I get the same results with SRSRoot as I would using the steps in [HOW TO](gaining root)unlock,downgrade,and achieve s-off with htcDev I'd rather take the easy way simply because I have a lot of other things on my plate right now.

Would anyone care to answer my questions or care to comment on the pros and cons of one way versus the other?

Thanks

im not familiar with srs root. however,as sdraw said,it cannot s off on current GB firmware. the rom and firmware needs downgraded to froyo in order to set s off. the best you could hope for with any one click is the install of a functioning superuser app and binary,allowing access to /system. this does not neccessarily gaurantee a custom recovery can be installed.

again,you are better off to follow the guide and downgrade and obtain s off.

as far as warranty goes,its unlikely that any incredibles in existance today have any factory warranty left. if your carrying a 3rd party insurance,they honestly dont care what you do to your phone,as long as youve paid the premiums.

along with s off does come the ability to remove all visible traces of having used htcdevs unlock bootloader program,along with the ability to go back to s on,if needed.

hope that helps :)

Reactions: sdrawkcab25
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones