• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting instructions for 4.4.4 Build B13 & 4.4.2 Build B33

So when I flash the b06 modem could I do it like; Full wipe, Flash BrokenOS rom, then Gapps, then b06 modem, then BrokenOS switcher (app)? Also I heard someone say you no longer had to flash the b06 modem for any rom anymore for b13. Is that true? Thanks in advance.
This is how i do it...
1.Flash the rom
2.Flash the B06 Modem and
3.Flash Gapps
You can now flash any rom and not worry about flashing the modem.

Upvote 0
This is the first Rooting guide I have ever made. So if it seems amateurish, or if I miss something, I am sorry. Just let me know and I will fix it.

Thanks goes to MasterChief, Kingroot programmers, Dunkin Donuts (Coffee), Wawa for their Awesome Hoagies, Aleve, Tums the people are ZTE who left this security hole open and everyone here who have been patient

* Your warranty is now void.
* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* dead pixels, dead digitizers or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, you and you are alone are * responsible for following the directions.

I take absolutely ZERO credit for this root method. I only found this because of luck and sheer stubbornness that I am renowned for.

Click the URL below to download the latest version of King root. Make sure it is version 4.52.

The file name is NewKingrootV4.52_C127_B227_office_release_2015_09_28_105203.apk

http://www.kingroot.net/wap/download

Go here to download TWRP
https://www.mediafire.com/?smsymhdzvp6qj55

and here for SuperSU.
http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu

Install Kingroot, and run. It will say Root Unavailable. And on the bottom of the screen it will say strategy available. Tap try to root. Get yourself a cup of coffee or use the bathroom. When you get back you will have temp root.

Now install TWRP and run it. Click Install recovery. When it is done select reboot recovery. TWRP will load and choose Install, go to Download directory and choose UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip.

When it is done reboot. And VIOLA! Your phone is now rooted.

If you want to flash a new rom (Cyanogenmod, BrokenOS, PAC-ROM, Carbon ROM, Candy5, AICP, Blisspop, Resurrection Remix, etc, etc) you must flash the B06 Modem Firmware if you are on MetroPCS or the B22 Firmware if you are on T-Mobile) onto the phone. The B13 & B22 seems to block making phone calls and kills data.

DO NOT FLASH THE B06 OR THE B22 MODEM FIRMWARE IF YOU PLAN ON STAYING STOCK!!!

B06 Modem Firmware (MetroPCS)
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24269982086991464

B22 Modem Firmware (T-Mobile)
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24269982086991623

If you want to go back to the stock B13 firmware for Metro or B33 for T-Mobile you must reflash the B13 Modem firmware or the B33 Firmware.

DO NOT FLASH THE T-MOBILE MODEM FIRMWARE ONTO A METROPCS PHONE OR A METROPCS MODEM FIRMWARE ONTO A T-MOBILE PHONE. YOU CAN BRICK YOUR PHONE! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!

B13 Modem Firmware for MetroPCS variant
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24269982086991465

B33 Modem Firmware for T-Mobile Variant
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24269982086991624

Here is my video of my ZTE ZMAX Z970 running Android 4.4.4 Build B13 being rooted by the latest Kingroot.

KingRoot worked but...TWRP won't install recovery... Please help

Upvote 0
If you're using the newest version of KingRoot, you have to go into its settings and allow root permissions.
This is probably a dumb question but when KingRoot fails and you clear the cache and data do you have to keep shutting your phone off and turning it back on to eventually get KingRoot to work? It worked earlier but I had to reboot my phone so I lost it.

Upvote 0
This is probably a dumb question but when KingRoot fails and you clear the cache and data do you have to keep shutting your phone off and turning it back on to eventually get KingRoot to work? It worked earlier but I had to reboot my phone so I lost it.

As the video showed I did not have to clear the cache, reboot or anything. I just ran Kingroot and let it do it thing.

Maybe a app is getting in its way.

The only other thing I can suggest is do a factory reset and run Kingroot when the reset it done.

Reactions: Serius401
Upvote 0
As the video showed I did not have to clear the cache, reboot or anything. I just ran Kingroot and let it do it thing.

Maybe a app is getting in its way.

The only other thing I can suggest is do a factory reset and run Kingroot when the reset it done.
Thanks bro I'll give it a shot...hopefully I'll have some luck

*edit*
The factory reset worked.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I had a B06 and just playing around/been curious flashed the B13 romo_Oo_Oo_O. It looks like this new B13 rom changes your file system and modem as well. After restoring my Zmax to Broken , Carbon or any other backup that was done based on the B06 rom the LTE wont automatically switch off when making a phone call and that is why you wont get any sound/feedback from the phone calls. You will need to change your "Preferred network type" to LTE off in order for the phone calls to work...... I did flashed a stock B06 rom and did a factory reset from recovery and it seem to fixed this issue but it was only temporary. The phone started to do the same thing after a day....The only solution that may work will be the one that WindXforce posted above. My Zmax was almost a year old and pretty bit up so I just did a factory reset from the system setting so everything including recovery was gone leaving it with the android logo and a nonstop reboot :p:p:D:D that way I took it to a MPCS dealer and got a brand new replacement(B13) for $16.00:cool::cool:. I was tempted to get the LG Stylus for $120.00 but this phone for $16.00 is just a no brainer :):).

Upvote 0
I had a B06 and just playing around/been curious flashed the B13 romo_Oo_Oo_O. It looks like this new B13 rom changes your file system and modem as well. After restoring my Zmax to Broken , Carbon or any other backup that was done based on the B06 rom the LTE wont automatically switch off when making a phone call and that is why you wont get any sound/feedback from the phone calls. You will need to change your "Preferred network type" to LTE off in order for the phone calls to work...... I did flashed a stock B06 rom and did a factory reset from recovery and it seem to fixed this issue but it was only temporary. The phone started to do the same thing after a day....The only solution that may work will be the one that WindXforce posted above. My Zmax was almost a year old and pretty bit up so I just did a factory reset from the system setting so everything including recovery was gone leaving it with the android logo and a nonstop reboot :p:p:D:D that way I took it to a MPCS dealer and got a brand new replacement(B13) for $16.00:cool::cool:. I was tempted to get the LG Stylus for $120.00 but this phone for $16.00 is just a no brainer :):).
And crap like this (people purposely bricking their phones and then making warranty claims) is exactly why so many phone manufacturers do their best to block root. All you had to do was flash the right modem. My b13 stock ROM isn't just a ROM its a full b13 update which modifies 8 different partitions and when you flash the b06 ROM you only revert 2 of those partitions back to the way that they previously were.

Upvote 0
And crap like this (people purposely bricking their phones and then making warranty claims) is exactly why so many phone manufacturers do their best to block root. All you had to do was flash the right modem. My b13 stock ROM isn't just a ROM its a full b13 update which modifies 8 different partitions and when you flash the b06 ROM you only revert 2 of those partitions back to the way that they previously were.
My old phone was on the way out/really bad shape, I guess you did not get that part.:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:
You know better that me that the cost to build this phones is less that $40.00 and they sell them to us for 5-8 times more. My phone comes with a one full year warranty on it enforced by them.... That is why they will do the exchange....Because you'r paying top dollar for them.....
Besides we are in a "root forum", and you are talking about playing fair........ :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.

No offence to you but it will be a good idea that you mention this:
" My b13 stock ROM isn't just a ROM its a full b13 update which modifies 8 different partitions and when you flash the b06 ROM you only revert 2 of those partitions back to the way that they previously were."

On this posting.
So anybody flashing these updates will not make the mistake and try to revert back using a B06 backup.... No means to offend anybody....

[ROM][Recovery] Stock ROMs/Recoveries/TWRP Flashable Updates.

Thank you for all your help and contributions on this forum ;););)

Upvote 0
My old phone was on the way out/really bad shape, I guess you did not get that part.:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:
You know better that me that the cost to build this phones is less that $40.00 and they sell them to us for 5-8 times more. My phone comes with a one full year warranty on it enforced by them.... That is why they will do the exchange....Because you'r paying top dollar for them.....
Besides we are in a "root forum", and you are talking about playing fair........ :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.

No offence to you but it will be a good idea that you mention this:
" My b13 stock ROM isn't just a ROM its a full b13 update which modifies 8 different partitions and when you flash the b06 ROM you only revert 2 of those partitions back to the way that they previously were."

On this posting.
So anybody flashing these updates will not make the mistake and try to revert back using a B06 backup.... No means to offend anybody....

[ROM][Recovery] Stock ROMs/Recoveries/TWRP Flashable Updates.

Thank you for all your help and contributions on this forum ;););)
Its just kind of dishonest that's all. Anyway I won't press the issue any more.

About your other point, I did mention that the b13 and b33 roms were full twrp flashable firmware updates but I suppose I could have been more specific in the op. I thought I had updated the op but I guess not.

Upvote 0
I am working with a ZTE Z970 4.4.4, T-Mbl. I just completed a factory reset, then installed Installer(the GEAR app). From Installer, I installed Kingroot 4.6.5 from my SD, ran it, then "re-ran" it for "possible solution" and gained root. "cool." Switched back to Installer and selected TWRP 2.8.6 from the SD, then installed. After running TWRP from my app drawer, when I select "install recovery" i receive

"Failure...Error running exec(). Command: {su,-c, ./data/data/com.eclipse.android.razr.bootstrap/files/surunner.sh] Working Directory: null Enviroment: null"

There is a "OK" button on the message. I didn't see or read of this failure message on any forum, and I have read a lot prior to this Gain of Root mission. Can you help?

*edit*

persistence pays. :) I have gained root. The process took multiple attempts. Now to the good stuff. I have Build33 so I am flashing Build22 and Broken OS 5.1?(sorry, can't remember off the top of my head), I currently have a screen showing a rotating and radiating sphere with the word "Loading...", approximately how long is this loading process? :):):)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am obviously working backwards in this forum. I have accomplished several things with my mission to gain root of my ZTE Z970. I want to give credit where credit is due. bfldworker did a great job explaining in a step by step process on how to achieve root of the Z970. I have read extensively on this process and your write-up is by far the best written piece on-line. Masterchief87 is a genius in his own right. I can't express enough the respect that I have for your knowledge and capability, truly awesome. Finally, thanks to all the programmers and developers behind Kingroot, TWRP, and Broken OS. Awesome work.

I have rooted my ZTE Z970, 4.4.4, T-Mbl B33 with Kingroot4.6.5 and have flashed my recovery through TWRP2.8.6, and flashed Broken OS5.1.1 as my new rom. **COOL** But I am still hung up on an issue: call recipients can hear me, but I cannot hear them. I did (at least I thought I did) flash the B22 modem firmware at the same time as Broken, but I may have misunderstood the actual process. Will you please guide me back to where I slipped up on the process? I flashed Broken, B22 modem firmware and GAPPS in the same process from TWRP. Thanks again and happy New Year to all of you.

Upvote 0
Hey ladies and gentleman GOT PERMANENT ROOT !! easy!! after a couple of hours I finally was able to root my phone 9 out of 10 times, I'm writing this to help anyone out, this is what I did.

1. get Geekbench 3 from play store
2. get NewKingrootV4.50_C120...._150203.apk (Google it, I couldn't get the new king root 4.8 to work you need to get this one)
3. get zmax_twrp_286.apk
4. get UPDATE-SuperSu-v2.46-1.zip (I used this exact one)
5. get Root Checker (just to check)

ok so this is how I did it, it was easy once I got it down packed:
open Geekbench, switch to king root, go back to Geekbench run the benchmark, switch to kingroot right away and start the root process, bam got root access after 51%..

go to zmax, click install recovery, click reboot recovery, go to install, and select UPDATE-SuperSu-v2.46-1.zip, bam your done..

Upvote 0
@fino8129 I haven't been as active on the forums recently as I was before. Do you have a zmax running the b13 firmware?
I know I'm a few months late, lol. Outbid like to help you out, if you still need the help, or haven't had anyone volunteer. I'm running a 100% stock build of B13. It's metro pcs but im using it on tmobile. With that being said, just let me know exactly what and how you need me to take care of the backups and I'll get started on it asap. Also, my phone is not rooted. I'll wait for your response before I proceed to root it and install twrp
Also, a question for you and/or everyone else on this thread. If my phone is a metro pcs and I'm using T-Mobiles service without any issues at all, who's firmware would I flash? Metro pcs or t-mobile?

Upvote 0
@bfldworker I've recently discovered that while flashing just the modem from the older firmware does make the custom ROMs for this phone usable by fixing the problems with calls and data barely working or not working at all, it works even better if you also flash the aboot, rpm, tz, sdi, sbl1, and fsg partitions. I was having issues with GPS not working and decided to give it a shot. Not only did it fix my GPS issues but now I get full bars in areas where I would previously lose signal all together. Hroark13 actually made these zips many months ago and they can be found by clicking the link below.
http://androidforums.com/threads/4-4-4-and-4-4-2-modem-and-bootloaders.922437/

Upvote 0
@bfldworker I've recently discovered that while flashing just the modem from the older firmware does make the custom ROMs for this phone usable by fixing the problems with calls and data barely working or not working at all, it works even better if you also flash the aboot, rpm, tz, sdi, sbl1, and fsg partitions. I was having issues with GPS not working and decided to give it a shot. Not only did it fix my GPS issues but now I get full bars in areas where I would previously lose signal all together. Hroark13 actually made these zips many months ago and they can be found by clicking the link below.
http://androidforums.com/threads/4-4-4-and-4-4-2-modem-and-bootloaders.922437/
so, what i see on that page is the latest modems for tmobile and metro variants.

are you saying that rather than flashing old modems, we should try flashing new modems with all the xtra stuff packaged with it? from what i can see, new modem on the tmo variant breaks bluetooth streaming. would flashing these alternative files eliminate that issue?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones