Rooting is new to meGeneral

Last Updated:

1. LarryMartin830

LarryMartin830 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Well when i had my XV6800 from verizon i put custom roms on it and then with my storm... but i was wondering...

Why can every android phone get rooted but not the Eris? like what is the big deal?

Advertisement
  2. Gevis

Gevis Well-Known Member

I don't know the technical stuff...But I'm sure HTC is getting wise. Also...The phones only been out for 3 months in actuality...That's really not too long.

3. LarryMartin830

LarryMartin830 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Well they had the N1 rooted before it came out.... on a few sites i searched on google so why can the Eris be rooted so easily

4. shademar

shademar Well-Known Member

From what I understand:

N1 is easily rootable by design (apparently an agreement between google and htc) but rooting places an unlocked icon on your bootscreen that voids your warranty if you have to send the phone back to htc. Currently this icon cannot be removed. Rooting the phone pops up an explicit warning to this effect.

Droid got rooted very shortly after the release of 2.01 (I think the update was specifically what allowed the means to be discovered.) Also, the droid can be easily unrooted, as it came about by exploit, not design.

Phones before that, I can't say. I'm fairly new to android myself. Maybe the next big update for the Eris will hold the key...

5. thetingster

thetingster Well-Known Member

So what is so special, why the facination in having a rooted phone?

6. antnyp85

antnyp85 Well-Known Member

My main reasons for wanting to root my Eris are that I was told you can store apps onto your memory card instead of on the phone. I'm hoping that's true... Also, I want to delete some of the apps that came stock with the phone that I don't use.

7. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

I'm with you on the deletion of default apps. Some are just a waste for me, and apparently for many other Eris users.