Rooting, Launchers, and Froyo

Last Updated:

1. ambitiousAmateur

ambitiousAmateur New Member This Topic's Starter

Sep 20, 2010
    I have had my Droid X for over a month now, and I love it. I am an amateur computer enthusiast, and while I lack any real coding experience I tend to be very good at understanding how things work and performing complex modifications to my PC. Since getting the Droid, my first real smartphone, I have been reading extensively about rooting, Froyo leaks, custom launchers, etc. I feel I have learned a great deal about this, however I still have not reached the confidence level to do this on my own just yet.

I am well aware of the wealth of threads on this site about the topics I am interested in, and even after just a few minutes of browsing I am confident I will find all of my answers here. However, in the interest of saving time I am hoping that there will be a few kind and generous people here who will provide me with links to threads with the answers I seek.

Oh, and for all of you who might consider sending me flaming comments about being lazy or whatnot, let me stop you right there and say you're damn right I am!

Anyway, the main areas I am interested in are:

1) Rooting and Un-Rooting. While I understand the concept and have a basic idea of how to do it, I am interested in more information about the risks beyond voiding the warranty. In addition, I am seeking a clear explanation of how to undo a root, in case I need to send it back in to Motorola for whatever reason.

2) The Froyo Leak. I have already heard a great deal about the recent leak of a nearly complete 2.2 build, and what I have heard so far has been good. I'm curious if it is indeed a good, stable build, and then how I should go about installing it on my phone.

3) Reverting to 2.1. Since running the 2.2 leak will prevent my phone from receiving additional OTA updates, I need to know the best way to revert my phone back to 2.1 when the official build is released.

4) Launchers. On a slightly unrelated note, I am very curious about programs like Launcher Pro and ADW. I have played around with them a little bit on my phone, but I am looking for tips about how to best use them (custom icons/widgets, cool settings that I might've missed, etc.).

Thank you so much in advance for your assistance.

2. northernmoris

northernmoris Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010

Darkfreak232 Active Member

Sep 2, 2010
    i use Launcher pro plus on my DX and LOVE it i also am running Deodexed froyo with nextheme (another good one is BigDXSerenity) another cool thing you can do is if you dont like the white swype that came with 2.2 you can theme it with this :D if you want a cool custom dock PM me and ill send you a picture of a few of them that i have used and are currently using. also if your using BigDXSerenity then ADW has a custom theme as well as widgerlocker (and app that lets you add widgets to your lockscreen as well as custom sliders) you dont have to use ADW as i didnt when i used BigDX. hope this helped :)
  4. MrJohnnySpot

MrJohnnySpot Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2010
    1. If you need to root/unroot use the one-click root program, it's in a couple of the other threads posted above. You can one-click root or unroot and if/when you had to send it back would just need to go and remove the Superuser application from your phone.

2. There's a couple leaked Froyo build/versions now. There's 2.2 which you can easily download via Rom Manager, there's also the 2.3.13 build that others have d/l'ed (I am one of those people), and now there's even a premium 2.3.15, though it's questionable on what any of the improvements are and if they're noticeable enough to warrant paying/donating the $2 to get it.

3. There's SBF files that will revert you back to stock completely, but you probably don't need to worry about that unless you really need to go all the way back for some reason. I'd say not to even worry about that unless necessary, just know that it's possible and not too difficult from what I hear.

4. I have both LauncherPro and ADW.Launcher and haven't toyed around with them too much, they work but I've yet to customize stuff through them quite yet.