Rooting, maybe.

Last Updated:

1. Kopitar32

Kopitar32 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I love my phone, but can't help to want to make it better! I read (as most of you probably have) that 2.2 was coming to the incredible on the eighteenth, but it has not. A Verizon representative said that the latest that I would receive it was the 21st, so I'll at least wait it out until then.

Now, to the matter at hand. I have some questions....

Is it actually worth the risk? and when the official update comes out, would that cause any complications?

Advertisement
  2. cuban11182

cuban11182 Well-Known Member

There isn't a risk anymore if you read about it. Just make sure that when you use the Unrevoked tool that you will have a constant power source to your CPU, besides that, let it do its thing.

If you Root, and then Unrevoke Forever, you can downgrade back to 2.1, accept the 2.2 OTA, and then re-push your Superuser apk back.

3. Kopitar32

Ahh I want to do it now but I have to get up at five and don't want to rush.

I did a lot of reading, and there is one thing I'm a little unclear on. From what I understand installing the updating isn't actually rooting your phone. So can you run you're phone on the leaked update without rooting(Not that I intend to, just curious)? What happens right after you install the update, but before you root?

4. cuban11182

You can't run your phone with the leaks because you don't have permission on the phone. Once you get SU, then you have permission to install the ROM.

IF you install 2.2 OTA whenever it is released, it is more than likely the loop hole that we are using now will be closed. That means, that you may not be able to get root, unless someone finds another loop.

Kopitar32 likes this.
  5. Kopitar32

Everything was nerve-rackingly successful. I installed the SkyRaider Vanilla ROM, and loving it. I backed up using titanium backup, but when I went to restore it made me manually install every app again. I figured that I'm missing something because I doubt everyone is manually installing apps every time they switch ROMs. So how do I get my apps and data back using titanium?

6. MathewS81

MathewS81 Well-Known Member

You have to do each one individually unless you have the paid version of Titanium.

7. cuban11182

I'm glad to hear that you got it done. make sure you unrevoked forever prior to the OTA. Again I reccomend the EVO ROM, but thats me!

+1 to what Matthew has to say about Titanium

8. Kopitar32

I love this, I dont even want the official OTA anymore.

9. MisterMixelpix

MisterMixelpix Well-Known Member

Same. Rooting and flashing is just FUN. There's a crazy sense of adventure with trying out new stuff.

Being able to completely strip Sense off my phone just because I felt like it, tweaking things to get extra performance and battery life. It's just awesome. I heavily suggest it, and if you follow the directions, there's no issue.

BIG TIP: Don't get impatient. Often times during the process the phone will look like it's locked up (particularly after a reboot when you flash a new kernel or ROM). Do NOT panic. Just let it sit. It'll work.

Example, I put on the dark top bar with smooth circle battery thing, and it sat on the boot animation for a solid two minutes. All's fine, it just takes a while sometimes.

10. Kopitar32

Yeah, a little late for that. I was freaking out, but its all good now! So I'm pretty pumped to start messing with stuff now!

I realized that I can't really do anything "jaw dropping" but there are some pretty cool tweaks. Probably going to set a new boot animation, and then the wireless tethering. Any other suggestions? And what all can I change about the UI, I hear people changing the notification bar a lot, anything else worth a shot?

11. Kopitar32

So I started exploring the commands and I wanted to upload the boot animation because I thought that it would be a good exercise to get familiar with the commands. So the I used push to send the animation but I got nothing. I would fail my first attempt to do anything.

12. JeffBea

JeffBea New Member

Kopitar32, whats the link to the web page that you followed to do your root? I'm like you, little nervous about rooting. Just want to follow clear instructions.

Also i did install that 2.1 OTA leaked update that updated the video camera to 720P. Do i have to revert to stock before I root?

13. Kopitar32

I just used this guide, which I found on the stickies at the top of the page. It was easy to follow, just as MisterMixelpix said, be patient and follow instructions. You'll be fine.

Now as for reverting to stock....I'm like 99.9% positive you don't need to revert back to stock to root in your situation. But I'm new to this as well so you should probably wait until someone can confirm that. Though you would have to return to stock if you are looking to do the 2.2 leak.

14. MisterMixelpix

Considering you have to do a full wipe of the system to install a ROM, I don't believe there'd be any reason to revert.

15. Spart

Spart Well-Known Member

The instructions on the page you referenced about the boot animatioin actually worked for me. Took a few times, but I wasn't doing something right, so when I followed the instructions exactly it worked like a charm. I now have the Droid X red eye boot animation :)

16. Kopitar32

What ROM are you running? I think my problem relates the the SkyRaider 2.5.2 ROM.

17. Spart

Spart Well-Known Member

Not running a ROM yet. Wanted to try that first. That's where I'm at now, deciding which one to try and how to do it.

18. Kopitar32

Spend the money to buy ROM manager, its so easy that It actually almost confused me, I couldn't believe it was that easy. Just make sure you do a nandroid backup fist.

And I got the animation to work! I just had to push it to /system/media instead :)

19. Spart

Spart Well-Known Member

Cool!! I bought ROM manager, but don't see many options as far as ROM's to pick from so looking through some of the other ones atm.

20. MisterMixelpix

Make sure you flash ClockworkMod before doing anything. I forgot to do that and every time I'd download/install a ROM through the Manager it wouldn't work.

Also, look in the Ihtfp69 directory too, that's where SkyRaider's hanging out.

21. Kopitar32

Ok, well I'm back. I figure I'd just post in here again rather then open up a whole new thread.

I've been reading and I've come along s-on, s-off a lot. What does that mean exactly? I know I'm currently s-on, but what's the difference?

22. Kopitar32

Sorry, I'm bumping this. no one is going to read it on the third page and I don't want to make another topic since all of these questions are pretty related.

You guys have given me great help so far! and I appreciate it! I love my rooted phone even more, it was totally worth it.

Thanks,
    Kopitar

23. dscribe

dscribe Well-Known Member

This is what UnrevokedForever is about. Probably the best way to answer your question is to direct you to the thread that covers this in depth... http://androidforums.com/incredible-roms/146585-unrevoked-forever.html

Kopitar32 likes this.
  24. Kopitar32

Thanks, that clears things up a lot for me.

I was thinking about overclocking, but I don't know if I want to install a new kernel, can I use setcpu without a kernel?

25. dscribe

dscribe Well-Known Member

Someone may need to correct me if I'm wrong but I think if you use setcpu to unlock perflock, you can then overclock with it on the original kernel. Be careful with overclocking -you can get locked up, and be careful about using the set on boot option until you are sure you are totally stable in your settings, otherwise it will be some headaches.