• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting method and ROM?

So I have had my Droid X for about a month now and I have decided I want to root it. I really would love some suggestions as far as rooting methods as far as what would be the easiest for someone as computer-inept as myself. I am running 2.2.1 so I need something that is compatible with that and I want to keep all the apps and info and things that I have loaded on it but I want to check out new ROM's right now I'm between Apex, GummyJar and Liberty.

The SmokedGlass ROM sounds appealing as well though which I saw on D2, it looks cool and has an overclock option built in as well as wifi tethering (two things I NEED) plus it looks pretty cool, though it seems complicated. Is there anywhere that someon could point me that I can find a 100% accurate, concise method to root and apply the latest SmokedGlass ROM for my DX running froyo?

So please help me find: (a) a super simple step-by-step root method. (b) a step-by-step way to backup my phone 100% in case I screw up or want to un-root (c) a place I can get the latest SmokedGlass ROM. step-by-step, the easiest way possible on my DX running 2.2.1. (Or maybe Apex/GummyJar/Liberty).

Thanks for helping a nooob. :eek:

Reactions: Calais79
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones