Rooting methods not working

Last Updated:

1. hotguy69

hotguy69 Member This Topic's Starter

I appear to have gotten one of the new Captivates where the volume and power method does not work. I've tried it endlessly for about an hour and I am getting nothing. Is there any other methods I can use?

Advertisement
  2. hotguy69

hotguy69 Member This Topic's Starter

Nevermind, I had to run CMD and do the androidsdk recovery reboot mode.

3. Rhiannon224

Rhiannon224 Well-Known Member

Read all of the sticky's on this topic, if you truly can not get your phone into recovery by using the handset, return it for a new one, if you cannot access recovery or get into download via the handset and Odin one click and you screw up your phone you will not be able to unbrick it.

4. RO3

RO3 Active Member

So my friend bought a Captivate after seeing mine and has gotten one with the Droid version reading v 2.1 update1 under Settings/About Phone. I can not boot his phone in to recovery using the standard method. He wants to root his phone for the ease of side loading. Is there another way to get into recovery mode for this "new update1" deal?

5. Rhiannon224

Rhiannon224 Well-Known Member

You can use an ADB shell, I don't know how to do it with ADB. If you can get into recovery using the buttons than that phone is fine, go for it. Do not use any of the I9000 ROMS because it is a vibrant kernal and the key combos are different.

RO3 likes this.
  6. mongstradamus

mongstradamus Well-Known Member

make sure usb debugging is on , and you have to have the android sdk installed. cd to /tools in the android sdk dir. Do command adb reboot recovery and that should get you in the recovery mode

RO3 likes this.
  7. RO3

RO3 Active Member

That worked great! Thank you very much. :)

8. mongstradamus

mongstradamus Well-Known Member

I like doing it that way , the holding button method always hurts my fingers lol